3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

January 2014 Race Thread (Read 39 times)

an amazing likeness

Should be a fairly quiet month...as a wiser soul has said: You know the drill, Call your shots...

Runner Date Event  Dist  Where  Goal  Result  Comments 
     mstuartm Jan 1 New Years @ Noon  5K Athens, GA  <20:00  DNS  
    mbehr Jan 10 Lewis Open, 1 mile (indoor) 1mi   <4:55 4:51  
    Roth Runner Jan 10 Dulwich parkrun 5K London, UK <17 16:36

1 OA. Win!

TeaOlive Jan 11   Savannah Rails to Trails 50K Savannah, GA <6 hr 5:48:14 17min PR!
    xhristopher Jan 12 Disney World Marathon 26.2mi DisneyWorld,FL <3:00:00 3:16 Beer by 9AM
    mbehr Jan 17 Lewis Invitational 1mi   <4:50 4:55 That's haulin'!
    milktruck Jan 19 Jimmy Greeks Frozen 4 4mi Old Orchard, ME 30:15 29:25  
    C-R Jan 25 Indy Winter XC 5K 5K Indianapolis, IN Score point    
    Roth Runner Jan 25 Dulwich parkrun 5K London, UK <16:32    
    Gville Kevin Jan 26   Winter Wonderland 5 5mi  Millford, CT <28:00     

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive       1/11     Savannah Rails to Trails 50K          50K         Savannah, GA        <6 hours

steph  

Gville Kevin

1/26

Winter Wonderland 5

5 Miles

Milford, CT

<28

Coming down from the hills to run on the coast with the big boys from the New Haven area clubs (USATFCT race), so should have plenty of people to run with - hence the ambitious goal.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

mstüartm

1/1

New Year's at Noon 5K

Athens, GA

< 20:00

I know nothing about this course, but I want to have a 19:00 PR by end of year, so might as well get started.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Gville Kevin

1/26

Winter Wonderland 5

5 Miles

Milford, CT

<28

Coming down from the hills to run on the coast with the big boys from the New Haven area clubs (USATFCT race), so should have plenty of people to run with - hence the ambitious goal.

Flat course (well, except one spot).  Fast competition.  Bring it.  See you at the road crossing.

xhristopher

I'm running the WDW Marathon on the 12th in what will be yet another sub 3 attempt. First try was in 2011 and I'm still trying.

I'm running the WDW Marathon on the 12th in what will be yet another sub 3 attempt. First try was in 2011 and I'm still trying.

Good luck with that.  I went down to Miami this last February for a half marathon thinking I was in pretty good shape and was ready to hit a decent time.  But, I wasn't ready for the heat and humidity that day.  Like WDW, the race started EARLY.  Even before the sun came up it was >70°.  I wasn't ready for the heat and humidity.  Heck, my Boston half split was about 10 seconds faster than the half that I pulled off in Miami.  If anything, WDW puts on good events and it should be fun running through some of the parks.

xhristopher

The heat and humidity is in the back of my mind and could be a factor but I'm willing to roll the dice. I ran the half last year at WDW and it was 65 and VERY humid but can't imagine it cost me more than 30-45 seconds and I just powered through. The full marathon is an entirely different beast. That weather could cost minutes.

kcam

OK not understanding this.  Why would anyone schedule WDW, half or full, as a goal race?  Hello ... McFly ... it's gonna suck.

xhristopher

OK not understanding this.  Why would anyone schedule WDW, half or full, as a goal race?  Hello ... McFly ... it's gonna suck.

I set the half as a goal last year and was happy with my run and result. It was hard but didn't suck at all.

Weather is always a crapshoot (I ran Boston in 2012) but Corral A at WDW is kinda normal. The race is flat and it won't be crowded for me.

Plus, The last time I tried to break 3 was on a one mile loop. That was crazy.

I set the half as a goal last year and was happy with my run and result. It was hard but didn't suck at all.

Weather is always a crapshoot (I ran Boston in 2012) but Corral A at WDW is kinda normal. The race is flat and it won't be crowded for me.

Plus, The last time I tried to break 3 was on a one mile loop. That was crazy.

X is going to crush it.  I am also setting <3 as a goal at WDW full but as of now it will take a miracle to pull off...

kcam

Best of luck and weather to you boys.  You're braver runners than I.  It's supposed to be 71 deg and 86% humidity tomorrow at 7AM, 

xhristopher

Because WDW could be warm (and because outside is an ice rink right now) I knocked my 20 miler out indoors on the treadmill, sweating buckets. I'll probably do this a couple more times.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We ran the WDW half in Jan 2011 and had to wait for the start in throw away sweat shirts.

It was quite chilly by Augusta standards.  It wasn't hot or humid that year.

I had no business running due to a knee injury.   But the money had been payed for both

the race and hotel so I ran any way    In the video coming out of the castle I am clearly listing

to one side.  I started in corral A and was passed by all of A and half of B I'm sure.

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Should be a quiet month, but as was said by a wiser soul: You know the drill. Call your shots...

Who

Date Event Distance Where Goal Result Comments
                                TeaOlive Jan 1 Savannah Rails to Trail 50K

Savannah GA

<6 hr    
                                mstuartm Jan 1 New Years @ Noon 5K Athens, GA <20:00    
                                xhristopher Jan 12 Disney World Marathon 26.2mi Mickey Land, FL <3:00:00    
                                Gville Kevin Jan 26 Winter Wonderland 5 5mi  Millfrd, CT <28:00    

Mine is 1/11.  Thanks.

steph