3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October 2014 Racing Thread (Read 27 times)

Nine Fickle Beasts

10/4 - Kelly Dodge - It Takes A Village 5k - Village Highlands, TX - Sub 18:00 - Result: 18:13

10/4 - WhoDatRunner - Wine at the Line 5-Mile - <45:00 - Result: 41:59

10/4 - Spaniel - Wine at the Line 5-Mile - 26:20 - 1OA - Result: 27:22 

10/5 - Parklife - Urban Cow 5K - Sub 16:30 - Result: DNS

10/5 - Kencamet - RnR San Jose Half Marathon - Sub 1:26 - Result: 1:26:30

10/5 - Roth Runner - Chester Marathon - Chester, UK - Sub 2:40 - Result: 2:41.34

10/5 - Rockenmamaof5 - Wineglass marathon - Corning, New York - Sub 3:45

10/12 - C-R - 4k - 2014 Shelbyville Classic / Hoosier XC - sub 16 + make the kid earn his lunch

10/26 - Ntown Kevin - Kent Pumpkin Run (5M) - sub 28 - Result: DNS

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Nope...guess you stepped forward by all of us stepping back.  Big grin

Love the race name...and the goal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Mark me down for the San Jose 1/2 Marathon, 10/5, 1:26 or better.  Look at me .... embarrassed to actually type "The San Jose Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon".    There.  I said it.  I'm doing a stupid expensive, bad-for-our-sport RnR event. 

Don't worry Ken.. we can give you a pass if you beat your goal.

btw, you're not as bad as my coworker. She is also running the RnR SJ HM.. an not Urban Cow. But she lives in Sacramento.

Its my 3rd attempt (at least) going for sub 78. Maybe on no HM training and no long runs.. I can do it.

Ahh.. scratch that... Moving down to the 5k.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Thanks, Park.

10/26 - Ntown Kevin - Kent Pumpkin Run (5M) - sub 28

A stretch,  but gotta have big goals. Super secret goal is to keep up with Joe LeMay (a top runner in the US in the mid 90s - beat me by 22 seconds last year)

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            kcam

Good luck with your Super Secret goal, Kevin - I won't tell anyone about it!

Ben, if I lived in Sac I'd run the Urban Cow.  It's a fast course (but not as fast as the SJ RnR course) that I ran in 2009.  It was called Cowtown back then.  I took 2nd in my AG and got one of my most favorite awards - a really nice coffee mug with race name with a pic of a funky-looking cow on  it.  I love weird stuff like that.  I use that mug often, and with pride!

Just a dude.

10/4 - Kelly Dodge - It Takes A Village 5k - Village Highlands, TX - Sub 18:00

I've been vacillating on this goal. I keep looking at too many factors. My recent races plugged into race predictors say this is a doable goal. McMillian says my 5:11 mile predicts a 18:00. Then I look at modifications:

It is low altitude

It has over 300 feet climb in short lumpy spurts (mostly bike trail and sidewalk)

It has sections of grass

It will be warmer and more humid than I am used to

It will probably be a time trial (Last year, no one under 20 except one guy who I think screwed up the course.)

I will be flying 6 hours the day before landing late, only to wake up at like 5am my time to run at 6:30 am my time.

So I keep trying to figure out how many plus or minus seconds everything is worth.

After a couple days, I said Screw It. Sub 18 or die trying. Go out in like 5:40-5:45, and be a man.

So there you go.

Also, some chance of beating my masters PR of 17:53...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Some serious goals already laid out here!  Great stuff.

10/5 - Roth Runner - Chester Marathon - Chester, UK - Sub 2:40

This has been my goal for the last 4-5 months and as it is with the marathon I'm struggling to be sure of what is realistic.  Sub 2:40 is a massive goal for me but I don't want to just run sub 2:40 if there is more in there, but I also don't want to detonate trying to reach too far - I've already done that once going for sub 2:40.

So I guess I just have to run this by feel with the 1st 10k conservative and try and focus on my own run, the field is super competitive so I've got to avoid getting drawn into racing.  Last time I definitely raced rather than time trialed (2012), but that aggressive approach got me a PR then of 2:44 (1:21/1:23).  I am the wrong side of 40 now but I still think I've improved since 2012.

Feeling the growl again

Some serious goals already laid out here!  Great stuff.

10/5 - Roth Runner - Chester Marathon - Chester, UK - Sub 2:40

This has been my goal for the last 4-5 months and as it is with the marathon I'm struggling to be sure of what is realistic.  Sub 2:40 is a massive goal for me but I don't want to just run sub 2:40 if there is more in there, but I also don't want to detonate trying to reach too far - I've already done that once going for sub 2:40.

So I guess I just have to run this by feel with the 1st 10k conservative and try and focus on my own run, the field is super competitive so I've got to avoid getting drawn into racing.  Last time I definitely raced rather than time trialed (2012), but that aggressive approach got me a PR then of 2:44 (1:21/1:23).  I am the wrong side of 40 now but I still think I've improved since 2012.

Well then here's more great stuff.

IMHO 2:40 is a realistic goal for you.  I'd see how you feel around 16 miles and adjust from there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

October 5. Wineglass marathon.  Corning New York

Goal 3:45. It's a flat course and I'm a lover of rolling hill marathons, so we shall see.Training has went well,

but this will be the first year that not only have I not ran further than 20 miles for my long run, I've only done 2 runs longer than 16 (18 &20)

Hopefully all the stars align for me and I can pull this off!

MTA: had to fix errors due to trying to post on tablet

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

The Pocatello Kid.

I know some people who have run this and they say its super fast. net downhill just enough to keep you moving fast. good luck!

October 5. Wineglass marathon.  Corning New York

Goal 3:45. It's a flat course and I'm a lover of rolling hill marathons, so we shall see.Training has went well n

But this will be the first year that not only have I not ran lo her than 20 miles for my long run, I've only done 2 runs longer than 16 (18 &20)

Hopefully all the stars align for me and I can pull this off!

I know some people who have run this and they say its super fast. net downhill just enough to keep you moving fast. good luck!

Thanks Scully!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

10/4 - spaniel - Wine at the Line 5-Mile - 26:20, MTA - 1OA

That's not insane based on my recent HM but now that I type it, it sounds scary fast.

Its my 3rd attempt (at least) going for sub 78. Maybe on no HM training and no long runs.. I can do it.

Ahh.. scratch that... Moving down to the 5k.

Why the move?  Still a good 4 days to go...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

10/4 - spaniel - Wine at the Line 5-Mile - 26:20

That's not insane based on my recent HM but now that I type it, it sounds scary fast.

Nice. You should add 1OA to your goal. That time would certainly compete for the win.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.