3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

DB the Hurtlocker Poser (Read 70 times)

Walk-Jogger

My goal is to finally read up on the incline settings on my machine and start using them.

Just set it to max incline and keep going till you've climbed a mile straight up. That's what I'm doing every other week or so this winter, indoors, as a longish run replacement. My fav Rec center incline 'mill goes up to 30%, so that's the setting I use. I'm old and slow and it takes me 1:18 to climb 5280 feet. You could probably get it in half that time if not better.

From looking at my log, it appears that the last time I ran outdoors was January 1st - the gym was closed for the holiday. I'm ALL about staying warm and happy while I run my ass off.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Just set it to max incline and keep going till you've climbed a mile straight up. That's what I'm doing every other week or so this winter, indoors, as a longish run replacement. My fav Rec center incline 'mill goes up to 30%, so that's the setting I use. I'm old and slow and it takes me 1:18 to climb 5280 feet. You could probably get it in half that time if not better.

From looking at my log, it appears that the last time I ran outdoors was January 1st - the gym was closed for the holiday. I'm ALL about staying warm and happy while I run my ass off.

I'm not sure how high my machine goes but it is not 30%!  Given the races I'm training for I think that would be a bit overkill on the hills.  Big grin

I'm sure that is a killer workout though.  I wish I had my college 1/4mi black diamond ski hill to run up....IIRC you were considered a stud when you broke 4min.  I've never sucked wind like on that workout (we did it every Monday).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

This is totally me

I agree. Running in the cold is hard. I'm sure there's a good HGTV Property Brothers marathon you could catch on your treadmill.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Well, here's what I get for running outside today. Stupid f'in dog sunk his teeth pretty deep in there. My fault for looking so tasty I guess. Definitely a faster 2nd half of this run - adrenaline fueled anger.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          kcam

Depending on the circumstances, to me, this is grounds for WAR against that owner and/or dog.

Well, here's what I get for running outside today. Stupid f'in dog sunk his teeth pretty deep in there. My fault for looking so tasty I guess. Definitely a faster 2nd half of this run - adrenaline fueled anger.

Depending on the circumstances, to me, this is grounds for WAR against that owner and/or dog.

Yeah...100% on them - I was just running by on the road, was about 30 yards fully past their house when the mutt came screaming out of the driveway, caught me, chomped down, then turned around and went home. "Oh my...did he get you, hon?" I was pissed, and it hurt like hell - but going to war against a 90 year old farm lady and her calf high scotty?...I dunno. I'll just be damn more on high alert next weekend.

As a dog owner, let me say that I really, really hope you kicked that thing in the face.  Hard.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

As a dog owner, let me say that I really, really hope you kicked that thing in the face.  Hard.

+1.  Next time send the little football for a field goal.  If you have to go for the doc for that, take her the bill.  And, I hope you at least call Animal Control and make things a bit unpleasant for her (and get the dog a record going in case this isn't the last time).  Since the dog actually did damage they will be more likely to ticket her.  The next passerby might be a kid on a bike.

I lived on a farm and if one of our dogs even chased out onto the road after someone we would have wholloped it in front of them so that a) the dog NEVER did that again, and b) the person knew we were seriously taking responsibility for it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ouch.  I had a dog claw my leg while running in the summer.  It hurt and wasn't so fun.  Agree on the adrenaline-fuelled anger. How is it feeling now and is your tetanus up to date?  I've got dog fear while running now, tricky when there are so many dogs out being walked (the one that got me was on a lead).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yup.  Be ready for it next time and send it flying!

steph  

I feel like adding my "wound" (taken the following morning, after a run, of course).  Only send it flying once it has stopped being "latched" to your leg (or you get bonus bruises too).  

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Ouch!

I feel like adding my "wound" (taken the following morning, after a run, of course).  Only send it flying once it has stopped being "latched" to your leg (or you get bonus bruises too).  

steph  

Feeling the growl again

And dog owners get mad when I don't wait until their dog's snout has actually reached my skin before booting it....these photos are exactly why.

Sometimes a little "love tap" to let them know I am not easy prey and break them out of attack mode is better than me ending up on youtube going ape on some dog that just tore into my calf...for both me and the dog  Big grin

I've certainly become a lot more wary.  This dog got me from the side and was on a lead.  We were on a narrowish path and I just got unlucky that the dog leapt at my leg as I went past, the claws got in but my leg was still moving.  I think it was just bad luck for me that the dog jumped up/across at me, but I do expect to be able to run along a path where a dog is being walked and not be jumped at.

I don't necessarily boot dogs that are off the lead and come at me, but I do stand still until they've been called back.  I had one owner, again with dogs on leads, shout at me because their dogs jumped at me (apparently it was my fault for being on the pavement), and I had a similar incident with a dog, this time off their lead, where we got shouted at and told to eff off because the dog came at us twice, but it was apparently our fault for running across (and indeed using) a field which is a public right of way and not a private dog-walking field. 

I was a dog owner, I like dogs, but I still don't trust that the dog will always be "friendly" and "just want to say hello".

The next passerby might be a kid on a bike.

So, I wasn't going to, but those words did it. I left a msg for animal control.

It still smarts, and bled a lot more than I thought it would. Cleaned it out with peroxide, put some antibacterial on it. Neighbor called in a antibiotic script for me. All pretty annoying. This was a first for me. Every dog before this one has stopped or backed off. This little f'er had it in for me.