3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Those of you that bought the NordicTrack treadmills... (Read 693 times)

Feeling the growl again

Did you opt for the $180 extended warranty plan?  Typically I don't even consider these things (they would not push them so hard if they were not a solid moneymaker).  However, given my experience with Sole I am on the fence.  I am aware that my usage is probably beyond what they really expect a $1200 to get on a consistent basis...so perhaps the warranty is more likely to pay off for me.  9 years on all parts and 6 years on labor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

The way you run on it I would think it's worth the effort if there aren't any of those goofy exclusions (miles, run hours, etc.)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I considered it, but did not pull the trigger as I don't run  a lot, and am fairly lightweight. Plan to put about 600 miles on it this year.

That said, I did notice a small annoying sound (like a squaky bearing) from the front that started about an month in, noticeable at very slow speeds. But that sort of thing should be covered if it fails in the first 5 years right?  Who knows if after 5 years I'd still be running.

No extended warranty here.  We have a lifetime frame, motor and deck warranty, 5 years parts & electronics and 2 year labor warranty.  That's a pretty good warranty package.  Atleast they don't put a max on number of miles.  I don't think we have to worry about it sitting there unused or as a clothes rack, so we'll see if we have to test out the warranty options or not.

I wouldn't buy a NordicTrack without a service contract.  I'm on my second one.  I had my old treadmill for about 6 years and the contract was worth every penny, so I bought it again when I bought my current one.    Both TMs were in the $2k range and the contract was still worth it.  Used it on circuit boards, belts, console, etc.  When you call with a problem, they try to troubleshoot over the phone in an effort to reduce the number of technician trips, so they tend to send extra parts just in case.   Both of our treadmills were covered by UTS.   

Feeling the growl again

I wouldn't buy a NordicTrack without a service contract.  I'm on my second one.  I had my old treadmill for about 6 years and the contract was worth every penny, so I bought it again when I bought my current one.    Both TMs were in the $2k range and the contract was still worth it.  Used it on circuit boards, belts, console, etc.  When you call with a problem, they try to troubleshoot over the phone in an effort to reduce the number of technician trips, so they tend to send extra parts just in case.   Both of our treadmills were covered by UTS.   

Well that doesn't make me feel good about the purchase....but I could not pull the trigger on a landice right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ours is great so far! I do have an issue with it feeling a little faster than it should at certain paces compared to the ones at the gym (which I still occasionally have to run on)

Or maybe the ones at the gym are too slow. Who knows. Either way it was a great purchase. But it's the only one we've ever owned so we don't know a difference...

A Saucy Wench

My NordicTrak never worked.  Ever.  Got a  new controller board, got a couple other parts sent to me.  Never could get the damnthing to work. 

And like goodman said they trouble shoot by phone and send you parts.  Some of the replacements werent bad but some of the parts I was replacing I almost felt I needed an engineering degree.  Oh.  Wait.  I have one. Electrical engineer might have been more use than chemical though.  Not much call for distillation in a treadmill

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Well that doesn't make me feel good about the purchase....but I could not pull the trigger on a landice right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about your purchase (although I've never had their less expensive models).  I ran on a True at work the other day and I thought my NordicTrack was better (more robust, more options, etc.).  The only thing that really bugs me about my new NT is the software.  Mine came with an Android touch screen (geek, I know) and the GUI is buggy and slow.   Unfortunately, warranties (extended or otherwise) don't seem to cover software bugs.  They should IMO.  As a software developer/architect myself, there is no excuse for bad software.  

Feeling the growl again

I wouldn't worry too much about your purchase (although I've never had their less expensive models).  I ran on a True at work the other day and I thought my NordicTrack was better (more robust, more options, etc.).  The only thing that really bugs me about my new NT is the software.  Mine came with an Android touch screen (geek, I know) and the GUI is buggy and slow.   Unfortunately, warranties (extended or otherwise) don't seem to cover software bugs.  They should IMO.  As a software developer/architect myself, there is no excuse for bad software.  

Sounds like my android phone. Thanks for the input, I wil likely get the warranty. Wish I could have sprung for the landice but I really wanted to kill the student loan.

One reason I did not go for the 1750 or higher was the touch screen and the possible accompanying software bugs.  Why would I need a touch screen on a Treadmill, when I have 2 iPads, 4 laptops, 2 iPhones and assorted ipod/MP3 players in the house.  

The touch screen can be a little bit annoying. It picks up my android when it's in the room. I have an android based tablet too. I sat it between the screen and the bar once and it stopped tracking mileage for some reason. Sometimes we have to reset it if the screen freezes up...but that doesn't happen during a run...just when you're trying to start it sometimes.

I think the screen freezing is more likely due to wireless/electrical interference than a software bug, the screen goes blank on mine, sometimes only part f it.  It happens on my non-touchscreen as well if I place a laptop on the console, not a problem with the iPad.  I have to see if this happens to other brand of treadmills at the Y, if I can talk them into letting me use my laptop on there.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks in part to rabutler's biceps, my new treadmill is in place and running and the old one is in itty bitty pieces out on the back-40.

I just broke it in with a 20-miler, longest treadmill run ever and it just flew by, it was such a better experience.  It is so much quieter that I could run my TV on a volume setting of 50 vs 80-90 with the old one.  The deck is certainly softer, the first couple strides I was a bit surprised by the slight springiness.  No more annoying 30sec wait for it to wind up to speed.

On the electronic interference thing, I now have to hit the "on" button for the cable box on my remote after each time I set it on the console or it does nothing.  Not a huge deal but a little inconvenience.

A couple questions for those that have them:

1)  Is there any way to set the speed display to pace rather than mph?  Sure I can do the conversion but I think in pace and I was really looking forward to having a tm that did too.  I can't find directions in the manual or online for that.

2)  Ever experience it shutting the belt off for no reason?  Right after 15 miles, a few seconds after upping the speed from 8.8 to 10mph, the belt suddenly shut down for no reason and the time erased...but nothing else.  I hit the 10mph button and it started right back up with the time from zero but everything else carrying on.

Crap, that's one way to break in the TM.  Glad to hear that it is up and running.  I have not had the electrical interefence thing that you describe.  Other than that, I like the speed ramp up/down and the softness of the deck.  In regards to your questions:

1.  The main screen that shows is the 400m oval with a progress bar around the track.  At the top, it gives time, calories burned or HR, distance and speed (mph).  I can change my screen by sliding it over.  It's a touch screen so I'll just slide it over like I'm going to the next page.  On the third page is a format that gives, time, distance, pace, incline %, elevation gain and calories burned - or something like that.  That is the only place I've found the pace given.

2.  I did have that happen once and only once so far.  The only other thing that I've noticed is that I have to shut it off completely at times as it seems to "lock-up" electronically.  This has happened occassionally and it seems as it a reboot of the electronics takes care of it.