10 k a day or 3650 km for the year

Jan, Feb & Mar, 2011, done and dusted - how are we tracking (Read 424 times)

Time flies when you're having fun, three months already.   Here's the stats for the first three months.   The magic figure is an even 90 days which equates to 900 km.  

Yours truly is sitting on 1018 km and relatively happy with my progress.    Even happier today with a PB in the Victoria Police & Emergency Services Games - Half Marathon, hence the last couple of weeks my mileage was down on the required 10 km per day but it paid off.

So, how is everyone else travelling?

Steve
    My Marathons and another interest Sports Photography

I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I was at 1,285km at the end of March so I'm about 5&1/2 weeks ahead of the dingo.

I managed to hold onto a 4:03/km pace for a hilly half marathon race (up and down 130m twice) a couple of weeks ago, and a 3:51 pace for a10k this week  so I'm feeling strong and ready for a sub 3 hr marathon attempt in four weeks. I've built up to 120km/week (a new peak for me) in preparation but now it's time to start backing off so I'll not pull ahead quite as much for the next two weeks and I'll probably lose a couple of weeks to the dingo during taper and recovery.

It's going to get harder now that daylight saving is finished and the weather will probably not be as pleasant. Oh well time to HTFU.

Running - cheaper than therapy

I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I was at 1,285km at the end of March so I'm about 5&1/2 weeks ahead of the dingo.

I managed to hold onto a 4:03/km pace for a hilly half marathon race (up and down 130m twice) a couple of weeks ago, and a 3:51 pace for a10k this week  so I'm feeling strong and ready for a sub 3 hr marathon attempt in four weeks. I've built up to 120km/week (a new peak for me) in preparation but now it's time to start backing off so I'll not pull ahead quite as much for the next two weeks and I'll probably lose a couple of weeks to the dingo during taper and recovery.

It's going to get harder now that daylight saving is finished and the weather will probably not be as pleasant. Oh well time to HTFU.

Checked your half marathon workout page.   My experience is that the Garmin will never exactly match up with the official distance, all for various reasons.   You have every right to claim it as 21.1 km, it's an official event.

Steve
        My Marathons and another interest Sports Photography

Well done on the PB - 1:23 is a nice time for a half. Pacing looks pretty consistent too... which is always pleasing. Maybe a very slight fade in the last couple of km, but better that than feeling you went too slowly early on. One interesting thing is that your heart rate also dropped in those last couple of km... for me I find I work harder to keep a similar pace going and my HR goes up towards the end of a race.

I've had a very poor 2.5 weeks due to injury. I'm now running again and still (just) ahead of the dingo. Paris marathon this week, so it'll be an medium week mileage-wise. Then it'll be a couple of pretty low mileage weeks recovering from the marathon, but I'd expect that'll I'll stay ahead of the dingo.

After that I plan to get into a few weeks of easyish running but with respectable mileages.

946km for me for the first 3 months, so I'm managing to stay ahead of the pace bunny. Had a couple of races the last two weeks so my weekly mileage has been down a bit. As long as I stay healthy 3650km for the year looks achievable.

I managed to hold onto a 4:03/km pace for a hilly half marathon race (up and down 130m twice) a couple of weeks ago

Hi Ian. Congrats on the PB at Coatesville. I also ran the Coatesville HM, though much slower than you. My Garmin gave a distance of 21.14km. You're probably better at running the tangents than I am.

Geoff

#artbydmcbride

Good luck in Paris, pr100!!

Runners run

xhristopher

I'm just trying to wrap this up as quickly as possible so I can take the rest of the year off.

As long as I stay healthy 3650km for the year looks achievable.

That's the important thing for me too - actually # 1 goal for the year - don't get injured.

Hi Ian. Congrats on the PB at Coatesville. I also ran the Coatesville HM, though much slower than you. 

Thanks. I enjoyed the run and hope you did too. The up and down did not hold me back as much as I thought it would, and the I loved the last 2k downhill. My Garmin tells me that I averaged a 3:24/km pace over the last 2km which is quicker than my 5k PR pace - not a bad effort at the end of a HM.

I was happy with the time - but it wasn't a PR. That privilege goes to the Onehunga half marathon where I managed to sneak in just under 1:23. Once I get through the Rotorua Marathon at the end of the month I'll draw up a plan to get me to 1:22:?? at Onehunga this year!

My Garmin gave a distance of 21.14km. You're probably better at running the tangents than I am.

Yes there wasn't anyone else running close to me so I could run my own lines and focused on going in as straight a line as possible between corners.

Running - cheaper than therapy

Thanks. I enjoyed the run and hope you did too. The up and down did not hold me back as much as I thought it would, and the I loved the last 2k downhill. My Garmin tells me that I averaged a 3:24/km pace over the last 2km which is quicker than my 5k PR pace - not a bad effort at the end of a HM.

I really enjoyed the run. With an 8 minute PR (1:53), and the first time under 2 hours, it has to be my favourite HM now.

I went into it with no expectations at all, just aiming to have a good run and see how I could handle the hills. But after 3km I found I was going faster than expected and decided to hold on and see what happened.  I ended up with first and second half splits within 2 seconds of each other. The last 2km were fast for me as well. Passed a couple of people, but couldn't catch up to the guy about 10 - 20 seconds in front of me. WIthout him dragging me along I don't think my split times would have been so even.

Onehunga HM is on my list this year as well. I lived in Onehunga and Mangere Bridge for a number of years half a life time ago, so it's like going home to me Smile  I've run it twice now (2007, 2009) and both times the westerly wind, particularly along Kiwi Esplanade, has knackered me. I think it's worse than the hills at Coatesville, so well done on your sub 1:23 at Onehunga! 

Geoff

994km for me and ticking along nicely now after a slow start to the year due to illness.  I am now 8 weeks away from my first marathon, yikes! Scary and exciting!

jeffdonahue

Due to some low weeks, I am just barely ahead of the dingo right now.  Hopefully it will pick up now that the weather is warming up.