50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

NH Runner

Saturday, 2/1... 5 mile run today that tweaked my achilles at 3 miles.   Slowed in mile 4 and ended up walking parts of mile 5.   I've tried to work around this sore achilles waiting for it to heal, but it may be time to back off a bit and let this thing heal once and for all.

If I don't show up here for a while, that's what I'm up to...  

Crazy Diamond

Rich~Oh, rats!   I'm sure you have tried everything to help heal that stubborn achilles.  There is a time for everything, and now is the time for rest.  Keep us updated, and don't stay away too long!

Yesterday, 4 miles on the old trolley car path.  Today, back on the path for a 2 mile walk.  Snow was packed down by the snowmobiles, made for firm footing.  Stunning thin waxing crescent moon and Mercury brightly shining just below it at sunset tonight.  Hope you all could see it where you live - beautiful!

Run strong friends.

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

Posted this earlier in the January thread by mistake.

Nice work, everyone. Our little taste of winter has made for an interesting week. After the 4 inches of snow Tuesday night, we never climbed above freezing until about 3:00 pm THURSDAY afternoon, and then for only about 3 hours. Friday was finally a little warmer, in the 40's. Because we're not equipped with an abundance of snow clearing equipment, the guys do the best they can...which means flying down the road, throwing the snow off on the shoulder and the sidewalk. Needless to say, any running this week would have been in the middle of the road, and even there it was slippery. Such is a winter storm in the south (but at least we fared better than Atlanta).

Az - Like most of the others, we see nothing close to that as far as elevation change. Makes our NC mountains look like ant hills.

Dan - 9.8 miles on the snow! I'll bet my little winter summary above gave you a good chuckle.

Debra - Nice track work with the speed walkers. I'm always impressed wiith those "super seniors." Had one fly by on a bike last week, must have been in his 70's. Didn't even look like he was breathing hard. And yes, now that you mention it, Angus does look a little like the Captain in his school boy get-up. Wonder how long he would have kept with that personna if someone told him he look like Captain Kangaroo?

Rich - WTG on the weight loss! And thanks for the recipe. Looks like a good one.

Chantilly - Keeping on with the miles. WTG. And even if you're not out running in it, I don't know how you can stand the snow on the ground for that long. Only been 4 days here, and I'm ready for it to be GONE.

Ray - Glad the calf is feeling better. And the good word is...TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!! (Man, that felt good!)

Finally able to get out on the roads today and try out the new stride adjustments. As you all mentioned, it's really good to have a PT that's a runner. He has me leaning forward slightly, but got my shoulders up and back to help with breathing. Shortened my stride slightly. I was landing more on my toes, and the leaning and shorter stride has me landing more midfoot. This seems to take a lot of stress off of the Achilles tendon. Somehow seems to be easier on the knee as well. Was able to get in 3.2 miles today, at 9:33 pace. Almost NO pain in the foot, ankle or knee. I'm hoping that's the changes, and not just from taking 3 days off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Sniffles on the return flight to MN.  BRRRR!! Still a winter wonderland in northern MN but 'warmer' lately with just above zero degrees during the day.  Nights are sub-below zero temps.  DH relieved and happy to see me as he has been hosting his father (77) and GF (58? but looks 68) for a few days (again).  His mom passed last year in June and GF showed up at door step within two months.  His family is  trying to be 'happy' for Dad.  We are the only ones who have met her.  DH trying to 'like' her.  Very awkward but I tell him "she's a guest."  Dad, although very slow, at least keeps active .........and seems to enjoy being called 'baby.'    TMI??

DH and Dad have been ice racing (wknds) on a frozen lake about 45 miles south of here; crazy drivers in action but something to do in frozen MN, right? It use to be a father/son outing but GF ........well, you get the picture.  I stay out of it (Dad/GF issue) but DH asked me to meet them later at the lake to take photos/video.  So another rest day in the midst of butt freezing conditions.  I'll get back for the Super Bowl.  Not a fanatic but enjoy sports and good games.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share, . My 'welcome home' ........ LOL!!

I rested from the trail race Sun-Mon-Tues last week.  Wed (1/29): 4.1 easy miles before giving in to the gusty winds of 30+mph on the AZ trail, felt like I was on the TM:  running in place and sneezing like crazy, with runny nose and eyes/throat got irritated. Thurs:  more wind and it snowed!!  Rested.  Fri:  more wind and light snow/hail throughout the night/day!!  Rested.

Spent most of last week cleaning AZ house and visiting with friends/colleagues during rest days ('lifting' during happy hour) and packing for return trip.  That counts as cross-training?

Saturday, 2/1... 5 mile run today that tweaked my achilles at 3 miles.   Slowed in mile 4 and ended up walking parts of mile 5.   I've tried to work around this sore achilles waiting for it to heal, but it may be time to back off a bit and let this thing heal once and for all.

If I don't show up here for a while, that's what I'm up to...  

OH NO, darn it .  You were really picking up on your running days/mileage.  I'm so bummed about it for you!  Been there, done that!  Have you been icing after each run?  My two cents: I mentioned that I do have achilles problems too (I was out for about 4 months when it was at its worse).  I ice after each run since then, no matter if it bothers me or not.  I've found that it acts up more when I run, especially intervals, on flat, paved terrain!!  I think being consistent with post-recovery exercises, and being patient on the number of days/intensity I run hill repeats have fostered a great deal in the healing process.  I still tend to feel a dull 'tweak' when I get back to AZ and hit the trails so I start with the flattest, least technical, least 'hilly' trail for at least a couple of weeks, take walk breaks often, then add one of those trails each week.  Check on us every now and then, I enjoy your input whether it covers running or not.  Speedy recovery!

Such is a winter storm in the south (but at least we fared better than Atlanta).

Az - Like most of the others, we see nothing close to that as far as elevation change. Makes our NC mountains look like ant hills.

Dan - 9.8 miles on the snow! I'll bet my little winter summary above gave you a good chuckle.

Debra - Nice track work with the speed walkers. I'm always impressed wiith those "super seniors." Had one fly by on a bike last week, must have been in his 70's. Didn't even look like he was breathing hard. And yes, now that you mention it, Angus does look 

...........Was able to get in 3.2 miles today, at 9:33 pace. Almost NO pain in the foot, ankle or knee. I'm hoping that's the changes, and not just from taking 3 days off.

Fletch:  I'm so glad you found some relief!  It really makes a huge difference when seeking treatment on running injuries from a health professional who also runs ...........here's hoping that it is the 'treatment' for a more enjoyable, life-long running!!  awesome and WTG on the pace for over 3 miles, YAY!!  Ohhhh.....you don't want to HEAR all the snide comments about the two inches of snow in the south .....made by some life residents up here who endure brutal frigid artic temps/windchills and still get to work/shop/drive on 'real' snow-packed roads.......I'll keep defending you guys, ...........as we live in NORTHERN AZ (where we have snow/ski resort) but they keep thinking that ALL OF AZ is like Phoenix.  I keep trying .....LOL!!

Deb:  I'm always humbled and cheer for trail runners who I know are 'older' than me and passing me on those tough trails without looking back!!  They are "Super Seniors" for sure ...........Is there an app for that??

Dan:  Great example of a "super senior"!!  and super mileage with snow conditions, I know it is a tough workout, 9.8 miles, WOW!!

Fourth posting:  can you tell I miss you guys?!?  HAPPY SUNDAY!!

justrundan

Rich-sorry about the Achilles.  A visit to a good PT might speed the healing.

Deb-Milwaukee has so many great places to run/walk.  Envious!

AZ- welcome back to the polar north.

Fletch- that is a great pace, my friend.  It must feel good to have those suggestions by PT pay off in a (relatively) pain free run.

AZ- wow, I can feel the awkwardness of that situation you described.   Must be really hard for DH.   Being gracious and accepting it the best thing you can do right now, then your father-in-law won't have a reason to withdraw and not visit you both.

That's the first time I've been called a "super senior".   That will take a while to grow on me. 

DW & I drove to the local HS after church and walked 4 miles through the town and back.  They were having a "Souper Bowl" fund raiser for the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, serving chili, soup and cookies for $10 per.    You could even take home a hand made 'bowl' made by one of the local elementary school 2nd graders!  Enjoying the weekend walks, a good time for us to be able to talk and enjoy the exercise. So far her foot is holding up OK.  It's been about 10 months since her surgery.  She's not pain free, but can at least hike a decent distance.

Dan

Art in AZ

Hello everyone.

Friday got in 3 miles on an overcast day, lower 40s. Here we caught the Southern edge of the winter storm heading east.

Saturday, 4 miles with a partly sunny day, lower 40s again.

Today, 5 miles with clear skies but a little breezy and temps in the upper 40s. Temps are down 10 - 15 degrees from last week.

Rich - Oh no on the Achilles acting up again. Persistent bugger isn't it. Well back to resting some and doing more strength training.

Debra - Yes the moon was amazing last night.

Fletch - Good news from seeing the PT. Isn't it amazing at what a few small changes can do. In a short time the changes will be your new norm.

AZ - Are you ready to come back to Northern Arizona yet?   I agree the guest situation is awkward but I think of it this way. Would you rather be alone and dwell of your thoughts or have someone to care about and who cares for you? I know a few more senior people then us and none of them like being alone. Personally, I would want the company. And all guests go home, eventually.

Dan - Hot chili or soup on a cold day sounds delicious and for a good cause to boot.

Have to try and find a time to donate blood later this week. So I expect to feel it later while running for a while.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-"Almost NO pain in the foot, ankle or knee."  It's ALL good!  We "do" snow really well in Milwaukee, streets are cleared within 12 hours of significant snow fall.  I can't imagine how you deal without snow removal equipment, salt and driving experience.  I bet the kids loved the novelty of it, though! 

AZ-Went through a similar situation in our family.  It was very difficult for my DH to watch his 56 yr. old mom begin dating after she was widowed.  I remember saying, " Do you think your mom approved of all the women you dated?"  Agree with Dan and Art,  better to keep the lines of communication open.  It isn't disrespect for DH's father, it is often the simple need for companionship.  (((hugs)))

Dan-"Souper Bowl" sounds like a wonderful event!  We are so very blessed with our park/trail system in MKE.  Don't mind paying the tax $  to  fund the maintenance of it.  The mayor's $$$$$$ trolley car folly on the other hand -- don't get me started!  Prayers that DW's foot continues to strengthen.  Those Sunday walks together are precious!

Art-Great running!  40 degrees ... ahh!  IMO - perfect running temp!  Hope the blood donation goes well.  They never want me,  Borderline anemia!

EXPO 10K RR - DS1 (5k) and I (10k) ran the 4th race of the 6 race winter series. Course was on the roads of the state fair grounds with snow/ice mixed with puddles filled with melted snow.  Sunny, 11 degrees, mild NW wind @ 8mph.  The plan was run an easy 6 mile training run, since 10 miles was on the HM training schedule for the day.  But at the 5 mile marker I just couldn't help myself!  Saw 50:10 and imagined the possibility of a PR.  Two minor hills coming up, but thought I'd go for it.  A fellow runner was pacing 2 steps behind me the entire race and it was just bugging me.  I'm ordinarily a very patient person, but after 5 miles it just got to me!  I slowed down, she slowed down.  I picked up the pace, she did likewise.  Felt like Peter Pan's shadow following me!  Decided to push the final mile +.2 and ended up with a PR.  I've been hovering around 1:02 for 10k for.e.ver!  Came in at 1:00:49.  If the runner would not have been following so closely, it would have been another easy 6 miles.  I'm thankful she was there to push me!  Since we were nearby, DS1 and I hopped over to the indoor track for a 4 mile recovery run.    Gotta go, Downton Abbey is on the telly!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Wow Debra, great race!!  Breaking 60 is next!  Keep it up. 

Dan

AZ- welcome back to the polar north.

AZ- wow, I can feel the awkwardness of that situation you described.   Must be really hard for DH.   Being gracious and accepting it the best thing you can do right now, then your father-in-law won't have a reason to withdraw and not visit you both.

That's the first time I've been called a "super senior".   That will take a while to grow on me. 

DW & I drove to the local HS after church and walked 4 miles through the town and back.  Enjoying the weekend walks, a good time for us to be able to talk and enjoy the exercise. So far her foot is holding up OK.  It's been about 10 months since her surgery.  She's not pain free, but can at least hike a decent distance.

Thanks Dan! I just hope the above zero temps are signs of spring approaching, regardless of that pesty stubborn furry brown animal prediction, LOL! Now I am hoping for the sun to show its face ..........not normal if I don't have ONE complaint, .

Dan, Art, Deb:  DH has been always/is really close to his dad so he realizes the dilemma.  DH (and I) was hoping that Dad moves in with us but we both know he likes his independence so we left it up to him.  The more GF stays around to take care of his dad, the more he (and sisters) will be less skeptical of her 'intentions'.  Dad mentioned he wants to marry her "sometime in June" (month when MIL passed) which added to the already delicate situation.  We understand the need for companionship especially when Dad has NEVER been alone/can't be alone, and DH didn't expect him to 'be alone' forever.  But "does he have to marry her?" (per DH).  She's a trucker, they met years ago when they worked together for a road construction company, she met MIL once during one of those years, she lives with her son in his home (SD), she wants to retire sometime this year.  We feel a deep sense of gratitude to our parents and always knew our time will come to take care of them.  We accept that with each of our parents.  i remind DH that it's not up to us to determine the 'right' time for Dad to 'move on'/have a relationship.  He still cries when MIL is mentioned, and "that's okay," I tell him and DH. IMO, no matter what, Dad is a 'big boy'.  He takes care of his family, I take care of mine.  I only give advice when asked for.  I suggested a pre-nup.  Honestly, it will just take 'time' to see how long GF (and Dad for that matter) hangs around for the tough times.  I hope she proves us wrong.  They are still in the giddy stage, LOL!    Remember, I tell DH, "Life is short." We all know Dad does need 'someone' and I believe there is much to be said about 'happiness, joy, laughter' prolonging life.  Thanks again for your input.  I know it's not about 'running' but life interrupts with the oddest drama, ugh!

Art:  They left this morning.

I really meant it as a compliment, Dan, RE: "super senior" .......I will be joining the super crowd with pride soon enough, LOL!!  Those walks with DW make for cherished moments, it's amazing what topics we talk about and what we see when we 'slow down.'  Glad DW is mending well and able to go on short walks.

Deb:  YIPPEE!!    So happy for you and DS!! Gosh, that is so awesome RE:  PR!!! You've been training so well and consistent, and shorter distance races have really improved your speed, WOW!!  yep, sub 1:00 for a 10k is next!!  CONGRATS!!  Lucky you that you and DS are making memories together, I know he will talk about those if/when he has kids, and when you are running alongside them, LOL!!

Fletch

Rich - Major bummer!!  Take care of that Achilles, and come back stronger than ever.  For what it's worth, the PT I am seeing here is certified in a treatment method called ART (Active Release Technique - www.activerelease.com).  My "hurt" is probably not on the scale of yours, but this method sure helped mine, and others have spoken highly of it.

Az - Always hard on the kids when a surviving parent starts to see someone.  We went through it many years ago, when my Dad passed away.  It was hard for us to see Mom with someone else, and for a while she refused to see him because she worried about us.  We finally realized it was best for her, and encouraged her to go out with him.  They've now been married 20 years, and he treats her like gold.  So just keep in mind...over time, things will work out the way they are meant to be.  You and DH will someday look back on it as just a bump in the road.

Dan - The "souper bowl" sounds like a great event, for a good cause.  Enjoy the walks with DW.

Art - Nice progression 3 - 4 - 5 miles.  Sounds like the weather is nice for it, too. And Kudo's for the blood donation.  I haven't donated since I started running, but would imagine that will tend to slow things down a bit.

Deb - SWEET!! How cool is that to set out on an easy 6 mile race/training run, and have it go so well, you end up with a PR.  That has to feel awesome!  I'm curious, the runner who was pacing behind you for the first five miles - did she keep up when you kicked it for the last 1.2?

Worked in some creative "cross training" over the weekend, helping my son-in-law with the grand opening of his new business, an auction house.  First auction was Saturday night, which meant I spent all afternoon and the evening on my feet, moving furniture, boxes, weight benches, tires, etc., etc. Then spent Sunday with him loading everything from an estate liquidation sale to take for next Saturday's auction.  Very proud of him and his dad for the work they've put in on the business.  Want to do all I can to help them succeed.

4 miles today through town, and around the neighborhood, followed by 1.5 mile walk with DW and the dogs.

NH Runner

Ok, the last time on here I shared a recipe, this time it's a joke.   From the book Chicken Soup for the Soul... "When my grandmother was 60, her doctor suggested she get out and walk 5 miles a day.   She's 87 now and we don't know where the hell she is!!" 

Sunday and Monday were days off, rehabing my achilles with Contrast Baths & Eccentric Heel Drops.   No running, but I CAN ski, ski boots lock my foot in a fixed position and keep my achilles calm....

Soooo... Tuesday, 2/4...  4 miles of XC Skate skiing on the railtrail.   It felt good to get out in the fresh air and burn a few calories....

Fletch... a 9:33 pace?   There's some natural talent in your genes, that's darn good for such a short amount of time running.  Re: Active Release... I've read about it, but think it's geared more towards treating muscle soreness than tendon injuries.  Is that correct?

gito... a PR!!  Way to go!

dan... there's a 9.5 mile run posted by you somewhere here.   Congrats. on that.   The walks you're doing with DW are good stuff!

az... thanks for the reminder to ice, I need to be more pro-active about this stuff.   You might check out contrast baths and heel drops if your achilles continues to bother.   And good for you supporting DH, it can't be easy for him.

Chantilly... you don't want the weight I've lost, it's that excess stuff we get around our waists...    Besides, Pam Anderson would have killed for your body 20 miles into her marathon!