50 and over 5k and beyond

Can you believe it's July already? Week ending 7/7 (Read 10 times)

NH Runner

Chantilly... my niece just ran her first marathon, an accomplished athlete, she won 1st woman in a triathlon not long ago.  She's also a college student and her and some of her friends decided it'd be a nice break from the monotony of school to run a marathon.  Long story short, she ran 3:28:** and BQ'd by over 6 minutes. lol

I about killed myself last year trying to get in, got injured in the process and didn't come close... lol  Life's not fair...lol

And the 10 miler I ran on the railtrail yesterday was in my "shandals"  (Ray's name) and they're working great.    I cut them so the sticks and stone adkkev is concerned about wouldn't be a problem.  So far, I'm just running easy with them.

Nice runs this morning, BTW

Today I ran 5 easy miles on the highway...

adkkev

10.15 miles for me right after work.  Humid & cloudy, threatening skies all around but no rain here.  Flood watches everywhere.  Thankfully I live on a hill.

Glad your shandals (great name!) are working out for you Rich!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 7/2/2013

4 easy miles on the railtrail this morning.   The railtrail is a dirt trail and once a year the state brings in a small grader to smooth it out.   Once they get it the way they want, they roll it with the same kind of roller used to put down asphalt to pack it down.

Anyway, when they get done, the footing is awesome and that's what I ran on this morning.   Early in the run I kept thinking I ought to try something I haven't done in years, run barefoot.   Sooo... when I hit the 3 mile mark, I stopped, removed the shandals and took off.

In that footing, it was awesome.   My form didn't really change, so I think I'm in good shape with this latest form change.  There's no way I can run for long on pavement though, my "soft as a baby's butt" feet wouldn't let me.

I wonder how long it takes to toughen your feet up...lol

adkkev... Nice run!!!

adkkev

6.5 miles this evening around town.  The air is so thick & soupy ... yuk.

Chantilly75

NH Runner congratulations to your niece!  ...too bad we can't pick it up like that anymore..Sad  Your feet could probably toughen up within 1-2 weeks.

adkkev you're a better runner for being out in the humidity...it will pay off in the cooler fall weather...

rmcj001  I stopped in the house to change clothes and get drinks, about 30 min. so I call it 2 runs.  Don't want people to think I ran it all at once. Wink  That's some temperatures you had!

3 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

NH - Don't know about other people, but my feet seem to recover pretty quickly.  Do think that any transition should be done slowly.  Make sure you listen to your body and be honest about it.

adkkev - Do not envy you east coast runners and your humidity.  Nice miles.

Chantilly - 30 minutes does break it up a bit.  My wife runs loops and typically walks our driveway (150ft?) gets water and gets back to it.   No matter how you count it, it is still a workout.

Monday 5 miles ~43:30 and 94F.  Too busy at work yesterday turned into rest day, didn't even walk Sad

Ray

Chantilly75

7 miles, sunny,  72F.  So happy to be warm.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/3... 5 miles easy on the railtrail.  This is the time of year when deerflies grow teeth and bite right through your clothes, they've been really bad this year.  My buddy in Miami tells me he wears 2 shirts to keep the bugs from biting down there, might be worth a try.

Thursday, Happy 4th! ... the local H.S. track is about a mile from my place and I ran there first, took off my shoes, ran a mile barefoot on the track, then ran another 4 on the highway in shoes.  It's amazing how awkward even a racing flat feels right you've run barefoot.  Ran the barefoot mile in 9:20 with no issues, now I just need my feet to toughen up.

Chantilly... my niece has no desire to run Boston.  I suppose that's the way it is with people who get in with no trouble, it's not a big deal.  And I can't believe your weather, between the heat and humidity, it's been tough running here for close to a month.  I think  adkkev is dealing with the same thing...

Art in AZ

Happy 4th of July everyone! Hope your day is enjoyable with family and friends.

4 miles this morning with some strength training thrown in during the run. Weather is hot and humid making the runs seem harder. Started a little late at 7:30 and it was in the lower 90s already.

I'm going to start carrying water because the water fountain isn't really pushing out water. It barely clears the faucet making it difficult to suck down any water. Wonder what changed the past few days?

Rich - Your running in shandals make me want to look into it more. I walk barefoot sometimes but not much this time of year. I tried it this morning and the cement sidewalk was walkable, the blacktop pavement was not. Just trying to cross the street I could feel the hotness of the pavement on my feet.

adkkev - Nice miles you're getting in. I feel like a slacker

Chantilly - It would be nice to feel 72 right now.

Ray - Is that a morning or afternoon temp? I know exactly how you feel running in that.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner  I read online that deer flies don't like Hawaiian Tropic.  Apparently Deet doesn't repel them.

Wear light clothes, they are attracted to dark clothes just like mosquitoes.

Also, mosquitoes and moths don't like Bounce dryer sheets, original scent.  You could try carrying a couple of them with you. Not sure if they work on flies.

Art in AZ Yes, you would be pretty hot there in Az.  Don't know how you can train much in the summer.

Happy 4th to everyone!

That 72F is at 6:00 AM, it is around 89F in the afternoon here.

7 miles at 6:00 AM.

I will try some afternoon runs when I get a bit more used to the weather.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Art, here's a link to Barefoot Ted's Luna Sandal... https://www.lunasandals.com/  Scroll to the bottom of the page for pictures.  I think the price is a little excessive, but they'll give you an idea of what I had in mind when I cut up an old pair of racing flats.

I cut the shandals so they'd be open through the mid foot so my feet could splay out on impact like they're supposed to.  And I left a little material at the front and back of the shoe to keep stones out and to hold the shoe in place as I run.   Lastly, there's 2 slips of material that run from the front of the shoe, over the toes and all the way to the only 2 eyelets I left for lacing.  Those 2 slips keep the front of the shoe from bouncing.   You'll have to be creative if you take a shot at doing what I did, each shoe design is different and you'll end up following that design as you cut away unwanted material.   And good luck!

Chantilly... can you be more specific about Hawaiin Tropic?  Do I wash my clothes in it, drink it, or put it in a spray bottle and spray those pesky rascals? Confused lol

Chantilly75

It was Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen, I read about.

Also, double-sided tape at the base of your head, because they seem to like that area. Or tuck a Bounce dryer sheet under your cap at the back.

Try googling repellent for deer flies.

There are some suggestions, but mostly complaints.Roll eyes

For the shandals, doesn't the strip between the toes get tight after running for awhile?

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 7/5

I'm supposed to run a 5K tomorrow, so just 2 easy miles this morning to stay loose.  In keeping with this year's weather pattern, tomorrow's forecast is for temps in the 90's.   At least it gives me an excuse for my lousy times...lol

Chantilly... I got a chuckle out of Hawaiian Tropic, I thought it was something to DRINK! lol Joking  Talk about being out of the loop, eh? lol   Anyway, I bought a spray can this morning, now we'll see if it works.   Mosquitoes aren't a problem, so I'll skip the bounce.

For how I cut the shandals, picture the material where your laces come up each side of the shoe.   I cut that material away from the sides, removed the tongue and left just 2 narrow strips where the lace holes are that runs from the front of the shoe all the way to where you'd tie it.  There's nothing between the toes, just those strips running the lenth of the top of your foot that keep the front of the shoe connected to where it's tied.  A picture would explain everything, but I don't know how to post one here.

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. It was overcast, hot and muggy. Saw what looked like a small rain cell in the distance. Sure enough, about a mile from home felt a drop. It was a very light drizzle. Got a little heavier by the time I got home. No coolness but you could feel the dampness in the air. About 10 minutes later it actually started raining and lasted about 15 minutes.

Rich - Surely you remember the Hawaiian Punch commercials. Thanks for the laugh. I looked at the Luna Sandals site and the other I looked at was www.xeroshoes.com. Something to think about for sure. I'm going to see if any of the local stores have anything similar.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

I understand how the shandals are tied up, now.

Hope the sunscreen works.

11 miles at 6:00 AM.

Working tomorrow/rest day.

Sonata Arctica