50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 9/08/13 (Read 8 times)

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning. Weather still very warm. This run was a struggle, had to walk a few times. Just didn't feel like everything was clicking today. Ugh!

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

8 miles for me as well, but I rode the mtn bike on the railtrail.   Pace was easy, the goal was to get blood circulating around my sore achilles to speed up healing.

akdke... from your posts I get the impression you're running in a sauna lately too.  The air's extremely heavy around here...

Chantilly...good luck in your next race.  I was supposed to run a half marathon this past weekend but it didn't happen.  I HOPE to run a 5K this coming weekend, but we'll see...

adkkev

4.5 miles on the rail trail tonight ... a little less humid than it's been lately.  Still keeping the runs short & easy for a while.

rmcj001

5 miles race yesterday 36:31.  72F and HUMID!  Small race 66 people for the 5 mile and 95 for the 1/2 Marathon.  Looks like I might need to take a bit of time off from running.  Stubbed my toe on the Colorado hike a few weeks back and tendon has been getting worse ever since.  Walking with a noticeable limp today.  Sigh, this getting old crap sucks!  Have to re-evaluate tomorrow...

Ray

Chantilly75

NH Runner and rmcj001 hope your injuries get better, soon!

5 mile run, then yard work.

Walked about 2 miles in the afternoon with husband.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

6 miles on the railtrail with the mtn bike this afternoon, then 1.5 miles on the treadmill.  In keeping with the notion that staying active helps us recover from an injury, I set the speed on the treadmill @ 4.2 mph and the incline @ 2%.   Close enough, I left it there for the next 1.5 miles...lol

It served the purpose, just a jog, but it got blood flowing to my sore achilles without aggravating the injury.  Now we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Ray... Google contrast baths for that toe injury, they do help.  You ran a great time in that 5 miler BTW, congrats!

I missed that 8 miler Art, nice run.

adkkev....better weather has arrived!

Chantilly... thanks!

adkkev

6.1 miles around town this evening.  Humidity is gone ... so this was a nice easy comfortable run.  Still keeping it slow, short, & easy ... legs are feeling pretty decent but I don't want to overdo it (yet).

Chantilly75

rest day. Probably should be running, but arthritis acting up with some colder, damp weather.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

6 mile hard bike ride on the railtrail followed by 2 mile treadmill run.  Pace on the treadmill at the end was 5 mph, so a slight improvement over yesterday.

My achilles isn't getting any worse, so I'm assuming that's progress...

adkkev

6.5 miles around town ... beautiful evening for a run!!

Rich - as long as your Achilles isn't feeling any worse, then I'd say it's progress!!

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Maybe I'll ride my bike tomorrow.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

4 miles, kinda hot and humid.  Quite a change from yesterday.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/5

I'm riding the bike practically every day, it's not running, but does create a way to maintain SOME fitness while I deal with this sore achilles.   7 miles on the railtrail, I was out for about a half hour.

Later in the day I ran another couple miles on the treadmill and probably set the speed too fast, my achilles is complaining this morning.   Pace started @ 5 mph and gradually eased it up to finish @ 6.5 just before the 2 mile mark.  It doesn't work to try to speed up recovery, but I tried...Roll eyes

It'd be nice if I knew what caused this injury, usually I'm doing something stupid, but this one hit out of nowhere.   Barefoot running, zero drop shoes and a form change probably all contributed...

rmcj001

Rich - There's usually some inflammation involved with achilles problems, sort of a negative feedback loop.  The dixie cup ice cube is the goto method for icing it and should be done several times during the day.  Definitely right after runs.  Hopefully you are also stretching it/them before and after runs, maybe even on waking up.  Walking is good to, keeps it active w/o a lot of stress.  Hope it gets better.

Art, Chantilly, Adkkev - good to see you are all keeping up.

Lost my fitbit tracker earlier this week to add to my injury.  Leg is feeling better, but will probably wait a couple more days before running...

Ray

adkkev

4.25 easy miles this evening in the dark ... stars were out & it was beautiful.  Now if I can just remember to look outside around 11:30 tonight maybe we can catch the NASA launch in the southern/southeastern skies.  Or so the NASA website says!