50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs for the rest of September (Read 9 times)

Art in AZ

Let's do this a little different. How about we go by month instead of week? Less topics to create and I think a better flow.

3 mile run this morning and then about a hour in the garden. Time for our Fall/Winter planting season.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

By the month works for me...

Yesterday I rode the bike 5 miles, then got on the treadmill.   Walked a 1/2 mile, then upped the speed to 4 mph and shuffled, jogged 3/4 mile, then cut the speed and finished with a 1/4 mile walk.

So far today, I did a 1/2 mile Nordic Walk, which is nothing more than walking with walking sticks, tossed the stick in the bushes and jogged the next 1/2 mile, then finished with another 1/2 mile walk.   I'm trying to see if my achilles will leave me alone, but so far it's up in the air and I'm icing as I type...

adkkev

7+ for me this evening.  Cool & crispy, with a nice bright moon.  About 5 hiking miles yesterday, maybe 1000 ft elevation gain, up to a partially restored fire tower (I say partially because it was still missing some window glass).  Awesome views.

Art in AZ

Rich - I can imagine how frustrated you must be concerning your Achilles injury.

adkkev - I like your new tag line. Sounds like you had a good evening run. Hiking in the forest does have it's advantages some times.

5 miles this morning. Weather still warm, about 85 this morning and humid. At least it's not in the 90s. Will be in Florida panhandle area this weekend for a wedding. Hopefully will be able to get in a couple of runs. Saw that the high temp was 85. Hah! But the low of 65 does look good.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Rich - crossing my fingers hoping the achilles heals.  Sounds like you keeping on top of it with the ice and taking it slowly, know it's tough!

adkkev - Gotta love those hikes with elevation gain.

Art - Florida sounds humid, pretty sure I'd prefer Arizona...

Exchanged email with my BIL about my leg problems and he mentioned possible partial tendon detachment from bone.  Not sure, but some how this makes sense to me.  Now I'll need to do more reading on treatments.  Leg was feeling a lot better, so 5 miles yesterday with eye for Friday's MoonLight Run in Palo Alto.  As a family, we've run everyone of these races and there's no way I'm missing this one (if my legs were too damaged I'd do it in a wheel chair).  I signed up for the 10K, but thinking I might have to drop to the 5K...

Ray

Chantilly75

Art in AZ have fun in FL!

NH Runner  have you tried some shoes with more of a heel, which wouldn't stretch the achilles as much?

rmcj001 didn't realize your injury was that bad.  Hope you don't miss your family race.

adkkev sounds like a very scenic hike

Yesterday 3 miles

Rest/work today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/17

1/2 mile walk, followed by a 2 mile run, then another half mile walk, all on the railtrail.   I'm gaining, today's miles were pretty much pain free, I just need to take it slow for a bit as I pick up mileage.

Art... that wet air in Florida will make your hair curl, good luck running down there!

Ray... Good luck with that leg and with the 5K coming up!...

Chantilly... I've intentionally stayed with zero drop shoes while working through this injury, I've actually read you run the risk of a shorter achilles after it's healed if you don't.

adkkev

7.3 miles under a very bright almost full moon on Tueday evening.  Cool & crisp once again.

NH Runner

8 mile bike ride, then 1.5 mile barefoot treadmill walk.  Extremely tight calf in my left leg, so no running today...

adkkev

A gorgeous afternoon for a 6.2 mile run around town.  Wish it were like this every day!!

Chantilly75

NH Runner I have very little experience with achilles injury, except after taking cipro, an antibiotic, which set me back some months for it to heal.  I guess I just believe in wearing all types of shoes (within reason) in order to stress different areas of the foot at different times.

rest day.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Enjoy the rest day.

Rich - you're using a foam roller on those calves?

adkkev - gotta like those moonlight runs.

4 miles yesterday with work buddy.  Tried using KT tape for tendon (tibialis anterior).  After researching it, definitely not detaching.  Problem area is where the tendon crosses over the tibia connecting to the muscle running up to the knee.  Muscle primarily responsible for dorsal flexion and inversion of the foot.  While the tape was on things felt better, so will run the race with the tape and compression sleeve.  A common cause for this problem is tight achilles and tight calves and definitely had both of those.  Will need to keep up stretching a rolling out the muscles.  Injuries are soo much fun!

Ray

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning. I think it was in the high 70s when I started. Once the sun got high enough though it started to warm up. But it did definitely felt cooler and drier. Finally.

Tomorrow will be a travel day as we have to change planes. So no run in the morning. Running in the evening for a few miles is a possibility depending on the schedule. Just to stretch out after spending several hours in the plane. I'm planning on running both Sat. and Sun. morning before the activities start. Though the 2 hour time difference backward might come into play.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/19

7 miles on the road on the road bike, then a 1 mile barefoot walk on the treadmill followed by a 1/2 mile jog...

Yeah Ray, I'm using a roller.

I know what you're saying Chantilly and normally I switch out shoes for the same reason, but I'm babying this injury in an effort  to try to get it behind me... Confused

Chantilly75

3 mile run

2 mile walk.

Sonata Arctica