50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 5/26/13 (Read 8 times)

rmcj001

I'm glad I didn't check the weather before my run, 95F!  7.1 miles in 1:04:22 or 9:03 miles.  Was trying to get a negative split, but terrain got the best of me and uphill miles were a bit slower then previous miles.  I didn't think I was pushing it, but I guess with the temp I was.  I guess my body is catching up with those earlier warm weather runs...

Ray

NH Runner

Those are tough conditions to run in Ray, nice job!

Lots of humidity in NH today so I rode the bike again, 6 miles on the railtrail.  Can't really call these bike rides a workout, I'm just taking it easy and giving my legs a break from running...

adkkev

yikes!  95??  I'd be melting if I attempted a run at that temp.

8.6 miles for me today.  Warm & sunny, a slight breeze,  and just a tad humid.

Chantilly75

rmcj001 That is hot! Did you take a drink with you?

NH Runner  I think the bike rides help the quads.

adkkev nice run

Yesterday was a rest day.

6 miles plus 1 mile walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday

5/21/2013

5 miles easy today.  I'd planned to run hills, but once I got underway realized it probably wasn't a good idea.  I did a lot of yardwork yesterday including mowing a hill by hand.  It was intentional, I thought it'd give me a good workout...lol  I suppose it did, but for whatever reason, I ended up on dead legs today and adjusted my workout accordingly.

With my half less than 2 weeks away, I'm focused on getting my legs at 100%.  Once that happens, I'm going to TRY to do just enough to keep them there.  By far, my biggest challenge is getting to the start line with everything at 100% and ready to go.

Chantilly75

NH Runner your dead legs should feel better in a couple of days, and come back stronger.  Pushing a mower up was probably better than just running up a hill, strength-wise. IMO.

8 miles plus some yard work/weeding.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

8 miles total for Tuesday ... 4 @ lunch time, 4 more in the evening before the t-storms rolled through.  Lunch run wasn't too bad, evening run was kinda yucky with the high humidity.

SRD today.

NH Runner

Wednesday

5/22/2013

My legs felt pretty good today, I think yesterday's easy run helped.

In keeping with my taper strategy, I ran just 3.5 miles today.  Warmed for a mile, then 6 X's 400 m with a 75 second break between, then a 1 mile cool down.  Intervals were 1:48, 1:46, 1:47, 1:46, 1:47 and 1:46.   Those work out to about a 7:10 average pace.  My legs still felt good at the end, so I stopped this workout at a good time.

Chantilly and adkkev... nice runs.

rmcj001

NH - Should be a good race this weekend, no?

Chantilly - You race is next weekend?

adkkev - No experience with the high humidity (well, not much anyway). Way to get the work in.

Work and blahs got in the way yesterday.  Ended up just shoveling wood chips from front yard to back yard.  Still have most of the pile to go.

What a difference a day makes temps in the low 70's today with a breeze.  Easy run with buddy from work 6 miles in ~54:30, was bustin my buns on the last 1/2 mile trying to get under 54 or close to it.

Ray

rmcj001

2nd run for the day (since I skipped yesterday) 3 miles on treadmill doing negative splits (8:45, 7:56, 7:28) 24:09.

Ray

Chantilly75

Sounds like everyone is doing well as the spring continues.

Yesterday: 9 miles running plus 1 mile walk and 3 hours yard work/gardening/mowing.

Today is a rest day....sore quads, so got quite a workout yesterday.

Marathon is this weekend, I'm better prepared than last year...so we'll see how it goes...

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday

5/23/2013

Ray, my race is a week from Sunday, June 2nd.  I'm taking a different approach going into this race, trying to get a better handle on what it takes for me to be ready on race day.  We'll see how it goes, I've reduced my mileage this week, but kept the intensity up.   With over a week to go 'til the gun fires, it'll be interesting to see this plays out.  I'm usually overtrained going into most races and I'd love to hit the start line firing on all cylinders, what a pleasant surprise that would be...lol

5 easy miles today on the railtrail, stuck in cruise control...Wink

rmcj001

Chantilly & NH - guess I reversed you two...Chantilly, Good luck this weekend!  Rich, sounds like a plan - you following Cecil's geometric taper?

Didn't think I had time for my longer tempo run, so decided to do a quick 5 miler.  Was just trying to make it quick and ended up doing a negative split the whole way (8:50, 8:03, 7:57, 7:43, 7:23) Total time 39:57.

Ray

adkkev

Nice 5 miler Ray!!

8.5 for me around town after work ... humid/muggy but not really hot because it was cloudy ... slight breeze from time to time helped out too.

Supposed to get much less humid and quite cool by tomorrow evening ... holiday weekend doesn't look very promising weather-wise until Monday.  Hopefully we'll be able to get our canoes out on the water on Monday & take advantage of some of the high water levels from our rain.

NH Runner

Friday

5/24/2013

Today was a day off from running, but I rode 4 miles easy on the railtrail.

Ray, I'd thought about trying Cecil's geometric taper, but where I'm not running high mileage, I decided to try running by feel these last 2 weeks instead.  I plan on running intervals next week, but only because we lose leg speed quicker than anything else and even on a fast day I'm still pretty slow... lol

Nice running everyone...