50 and over 5k and beyond

May runs & workouts (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/1... 8 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail in 41:42.

Fletch... here's a tutorial for setting up your own training plan... http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/design-your-best-training-week    The FIRST plan is based on a 7 day schedule to accomodate most people, but there are training plans based on 10 days as well as 2 weeks, etc.    I'm going try a 10 day schedule for the next month and use the paces recommended in the FIRST plan as a guideline.   I THINK another easy day between hard workouts will be enough to keep me out of trouble.    Where I'm retired, (I'll probably get tossed out of here for being so old ) a 10 day plan should work just fine.

adkkev... nice run in lousy weather yesterday...

Nana_

That's an impressive workout setup planning tool.

At this point I just go out every other day and slog-walk-jog for a half-hour or so.

That said, I'm happy to report that today marks my 9-weeks consistency of every-other-day.   I might just have a habit here.

Yesterday - 30 minutes

Friday - 30 minutes

Sunday - 5K fun-run

Tuesday - Long Run for 1h00  that's gonna feel long

:-)

I browsed the April posts you all are doing great.

Again, this month I hope to visit more often.

Happy trails!

Happy May everyone!!  Been resting since Saturday's relay event and because I had no desire to run in the cold, rainy, windy, dreary days here since then.  It's a great excuse to "being lazy," LOL!!  But I wanted to start off the month of May with a run no matter what even a couple of miles so I waited until the wind kinda died down.  It was about 40 degrees, 15mph wind, overcast and finished nice, easy, steady 5.25 miles, 50 minutes.  Yippee!!  I'm always glad that I did afterwards.  DH and I have our dance social tonight to practice our latest steps.  I hope the weather tomorrow will be like today but I think rain is predicted.  Like I say, "it could be worse."

Jo:  Hang in there!! Running an hour will be a piece of cake before long Smile  You are doing super!!

justrundan

It was dry enough that I finally got my butt outside this morning for a slow 4.5 miles.  dry as in only misting!   Way to many days with no mileage in them the last 2 weeks.  Between work and weather, it can really put a damper on the fun!

Enjoy the runs you can get friends.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Back home from the conference. Too much sitting, and too much food!     Used the treadmill in the hotel's fitness room because of the weather.  Thunderstorms, hail, heavy rain and wind.  Too bad, the trails along the Des Plaines River looked awesome.  Finished up April w/ 6 miles, and began May w/ 4 miles and a few striders.  Luckily, found a running buddy in our group to make the treadmiles go fast.  Very enjoyable actually.  Weather prediction for Saturday's HM is a duplicate of the dreary, foggy, chilly, rainy stuff that's hung around all week.  Packed the rain gear.  Oh well, que sera, sera!

Everyone is running well and persevering through some really rotten weather.  Things sure are "greening" up!

Ray~Excellent race report!  Hurrah on the PR and fantastic time!  I'm sure the "finish face" proved you left nothing on the course.  Congrats to DW and DS.  Hope his blisters are healing well.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Debra:  not surprised you found a running buddy to pass the time away on the treadmill, you are such an easy and wonderful person to converse with!!  Always optimistic and encouraging!! Bummer you had to run indoors instead of enjoying the scenery along the river.  I googled it and it looks like a gorgeous area!! Have you thought about the Chicago FM? It's so close ........  GOOD LUCK on your HM, I know you'll kick some butt out there, I've seen you "in your groove" ............Still thinking about the race where I had to kick into high gear when our team ran with you to the finish line, you were blazing!!

Ray:  as always, you ran an incredible race, CONGRATS on the PR!!  WOOHOO!!  Thanks for representing the golden runners!! LOL!! DW and DS did awesome too!! Glad DW is feeling better!

Rich:  you are an all around cross-trainer, running and biking! Getting stronger in your progress by being consistent, keep it up!! I appreciate your input/suggestions; it helps me in more ways than one, thanks!

Dan:  Same here, RE: weather.  Always feels good to run those short miles, right?  Glad I ran yesterday as it was raining earlier this morning; breezy every day and temps have been in the 30s/40s. I really enjoyed meeting/visiting with DW!!  What/where is your next event?

NH Runner

Friday... 6 mile road run today at an easy pace, it was fun to just to run for a change and forget about pace.    Next Monday I'll get back on track with a different training plan for the June 1st half marathon, I think I've still got time to get ready.    Injuries can be a pain in more ways than one, can't they? 

Jo... you're making great progress!   Why not give us a race report from Sunday's 5K, we'd love to hear it!   And good luck with Tuesday's run, look how far you've come!

az... thanks!  Info helps us get better and I love sharing it!   Nice run yesterday...

Dan... hang in there!  The lousy weather and busy schedule can't last forever, run when you can...

gito... good luck with your half this weekend!

rmcj001

Jo - I agree with Rich, we love race reports.  Nice job being consistent, keep it going!

Az - It's great that you got another run in.  It is hard to believe that you're still in the 40F there, but it is better then the teens!  If you get what we had here you've got warmer weather coming...Like the cross training with DH.

Dan - So annoying when work gets in the way of running   Glad you were able to get out there - good job!

Debra - Way to get your runs in while travelling!   Gotta imagine that having someone to run with on the TM makes the time go by faster.

Rich - another good run.  I'll admin most of my runs are of the "easy" variety, I think that helps keep the injury rate down.  Good that form seems to be doing the achilles good.  Guess that's why I run in VFFs, don't have to think about it...

Thursday was another 90F day, but ran in the middle of the heat.  7 miles at an 8:41 pace.  That doesn't include the 2 minute break at 6.2 miles to drink some water.  I've run in hotter weather, but yesterday took every ounce of will power to get to 7 miles and I was spent.  Today is cooler, but don't know if I'll get the run in today...

Ray

Reposting because I was in the wrong month so excuse me if you've already seen this. Thx Ray!

It's been a while for me and I see some new posters. Great!! wish I could post more but time is difficult these days. I am going stir crazy itching for my race Sunday (Flying Pig) so my mind is going back to last weekend's relay. You know all those running posters w a solitary woman running with perfect form through some dream scape? That's Debra. Srsly! She has Best. Posture. Ever! Makes running look effortless!! AZ also runs seemingly effortlessly and She. Can. Move! Then AZ's DH? All of the supporters were amazing but I spent more time with him. What a guy! Some moments: AZ: Honey, I need a tissue. DH: A clean one? ... Driving beside a runner, saw a big dog jump on her heels. DH yells really sternly, "HEY, cut that out!" The dog cowered away and then he said to the runner, "Not you! Keep running!" ... This a few times: Creeping the van along side a runner, "Need anything?" Shakes his head. "We have water?" Shakes his head. "Ok" AZ, "Honey you're breaking their concentration." --- He was also quite seriously watching runners for signs of distress and picked up on a moment when Dan needed a drink and AZ's foot problem. He's definitely a keeper!!

Strong n safe runs all!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

NH Runner

Saturday, 5/3... 7 mile road run today, 1 mile warm up and co0l down, 5 miles @ tempo.   Tomorrow's a day off, then I switch to a training program that allows for more recovery time between hard workouts.

mKayc... what a great time at the Relay, eh?   Congrats. and good luck at the Flying Pig!

Ray... we hit 60 degrees today and I actually ran in shorts!     I want warm, but you can have that 90 degree stuff!  Nice run!

justrundan

Yesterday had a nice 5 mile run, 1 mile warm up/4 mile tempo run.  DW and I left for Milwaukee and my 35th med school class reunion.  Fun time with a small group of former classmates.  This morning dawned bright and sunny, so we went down to the Milwaukee lakefront and ran/walk 5.5 miles.  It was gorgeous outside there!  I did a ping pong run (is that what you called the run you do Debra?)  I would run for 1/2 mile or so, then run back to DW as she was walking 3 minute and running one minute.  Got in a few nice hills as well.  When we finished we had breakfast sandwiches at a great coffee shop just off the lake.  Delicious!  Then home and time to try to get caught up on yard work.  I guess grass still grows when it's only in the 40's! 

Jo- you are doing great!  Keep up the good work.  Every other day right now sounds just right!

Deb- looking forward to the formal DCHM RR!  I hope the weather was half as nice as it was in Milwaukee today!

Rich- nice 2 days of running!

Ray- not sure I could run in that heat.  It must take some getting used to!

AZ- hoping more sunshine heads your way.

MaryKay- Good luck tomorrow running the Pig!

Dan

Fletch

Greetings, all!

Mary Kay - nice to "meet" you.  I feel like I already know you from the relay race reports.  Nice job.  Looking forward to your Flying Pig report.

Dan - nice tempo run.  And I like the ping-pong run!  Good way to spend time with DW.

Rich - Way to get back in the groove.  Looking forward to hearing about the new plan.

Az - Good run Wednesday.  Hope your weather is getting better.

Ray - nice work in the heat.

Jo - Congrats on the 9 week milestone.  Keep it up!

Very frustrating set-back for me.  After my run Wednesday, my left calf tightened up and was painful all day.  Felt like a cramp, but the pain went away when I was sitting...painful when I walked.  Iced it that evening.  Took Thursday and Friday off, and planned to run Saturday.  Was still feeling a little pain Saturday, so I rested then, too.  Felt much better this morning.  Only a slight twinge occassionally.  Was really looking forward to a long, slow run.  Started out and knew almost immediately that it was not going to work.  Made it about 1/4 mile, then turned around and walked back home.

It's the same leg I had the Achilles issues with a few months back, but this is entirely different.  The pain is high on the calf...just below the back of the knee.  I'm going to try more frequent icing, and rest again for a few more days.  If that doesn't help, I guess I'll put a call in to the PT and see if he can work it out.  Suggestions????

Chantilly75

NH Runner Finished with the First plan, eh?  I don't know what kind of result you are looking for in your HM, but you seem to have the distance down.

Jo_ congratulations on your 9 week consistency.

az2mntrail congratulations on your relay. The dance lessons sound like fun….and good cross training!

justrundan hope you get some time off work for yourself and your running.

gito57 hope your HM was fun!

rmcj001 wow! That's hot at your place for this early in the year. You must be tough to get in those miles in 90F. (be careful, though)

mKayec Good luck at the Flying Pig!

Fletch_NC My suggestion would be to get a good sports massage.  They hurt a lot if done correctly, but the leg feels so good about 2 days later. Do you have a foam roller for use at home?

Missed everyone here!

I have had some time off due to a chronic health problem not related to running, needed some tests/procedures done. It never gets any better, I just deal with it.

12 miles on the track. Still too cold most days for me to go outside.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Good to hear from you Chantilly!  Was wondering how you were doing; hope all goes well with your health checkup.

Fletch:  I echo Chantilly's suggestion as well with a massage but foam roller is my life saver for my calves especially. There are many ways to effectively get the most out of it, and your muscles will thank you for it.  What are your other post-recovery exercises?

Dan:  Sounds like a super day getting in a few miles and an afternoon date with DW!  She deserves it!

Marykay:  DH is a whoot, I"m very blessed.  Hope you had a good run at your event!!

Rich:  running shorts day!! YAY!  Good job on the 7 miler!

After my Thursday 5.25 run, I rested Fri and Sat due to rainy/windy weather but did some weights and health rider throughout the day to keep from getting bored and ..... okay, out of guilt, LOL!!  Woke up to partly sunny morning today but it got overcast by noon, about 50 degrees, slight breeze.  Drove to the state trail, paved portion and then dirt portion, yippee!! I wore the same two pairs of (clean) socks that I wore for the relay but wore my Brooks Cascadia trail shoes (more roomier) instead of the Mizuno road shoes and my right foot didn't get numb at all ........so I'm guessing it's the shoes (more narrow than my Brooks) in addition to the two pairs of socks I wear.  I will try it again but wear only one pair of socks with the Mizuno road shoe and see what happens.  Finished 9.1 miles, easy steady run.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail nice that you got out to the trail and that your foot isn't numb anymore.

6 miles at 5:30 AM on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica