50 and over 5k and beyond

September Runs & Workouts (Read 21 times)

NH Runner

How's this for progress, I've gone from being a non-runner to starting a new thread for monthly workouts...

Monday, 9/1... 6 mile railtrail run.   Mile 3 is slightly downhill and mile 4 is the same mile run in the opposite direction, 11:40, 10:16, 9:56, 10:19, 10:14 and 10:10.    Not bad, but I've got lots of work to do...

Altair... congrats. on your half marathon, you ran a strong race.   Not stopping to walk the hills says a lot, your training really paid off!   Thoroughly enjoyed your race report...

justrundan

Altair- great race and great race report!  Well done.  When you've trained on the hills it really pays off.  That's the time to pick off runners one by one.  Enjoy a few days of rest and stretching, then back at  it.  Do you have a fall race?

NHRich- good 6 on the rail trail.  Nice even pacing.

Started September with 6 mi in town, started on the track then finished on the long hill that runs past the school.  Got home just in time to finish the lawn before the rains came. 

Finished August with 92 miles, disappointing since the start of the month was so good.  Will need to be more consistent this month.  But, that's what happens when other fun things come up. 

Enjoy the end of the long weekend!

Dan

Summer days are numbered!! My last post was my 13 mile run on Thurs; rest day on Fri as DB, GF, and I took a day trip to International Falls, visited national prk with short nature walk; Saturday turned out to be another rest day.  DB, GF and I took a 120 miles Harley bike ride through some scenic lake areas near here.  It was great to hang out and enjoy the area with them as we made stops for photo ops!!  Was hoping to get a short run in but got dark and hungry.  We drove to Fargo to drop off DB and GF for their trip home back to NM   I can't believe their visit already ended!! I miss them so much, it was wonderful to have family.  DH visited with a couple of cousins before we headed home. It was cloudy, humidity in the 60s and temp around 65.  I HAD to go for a run on the dirt road.  It distracted me from missing family as I witnessed a gorgeous sunset; finished 6.2 miles.   Despite being sick a week, my August total running miles:  100.8!! YAY!!

We stayed home today.  I am trying to run the last day of the month and the first day of the month, so far, so good.  It was a sunny morning which ended in a cloudy but nice afternoon.  Ran 7.3 miles on Movil Maze mtn bike trail.  Sporadic light rain about every 15 minutes which had a cooling effect, about 72 degrees.

Hope to run tomorrow before we head to Fargo where we are staying the night.  Our flight to Philly is early Wed. morning.  Couldn't get in the Philly 10k event in downtown on Saturday as it is full but I hope to volunteer instead and run later in the day!  Sounds like plan! 

Lost another reply post!!

CONGRATS on your finish Altair!! Thank you for the detailed RR!!  You did great and your running plan really paid off!!  Those strong sprints in the end will come as you gain more strength and speed.  I agree with Dan that running hills really makes a difference in a race and you rocked them!!  WAY TO GO!!

Dan:  how was your bike trip to northern WI?? Any more bike trips planned before the cold sets in??  I still would like to take a bike trip going north from here into Canada and coming out in northern WI or MI ......maybe next year, when would be a good time of the summer season to take such a trip? NICE August miles!!  Totally agree that it's more fun when 'fun things' like bike rides leave you grinning from ear to ear!!

Rich:  haha!! that's funny ........but you are a runner!!  Such patience and very smart training plan during recovery!!

Kay:  is your SF trip part of business?  You are one determined runner to get those miles in!! Good job!!

sluggo

John

ummm - I am far more modest.

I am going from no where for many months. I am now on the couch to 5k plan : up to 24 min with 2 walks, 2.2 mi. Please wave as you lap me.

It was actually fun to run in the hot and humid weather. I was missing the drenching sweat at the end of a run!

John
            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Altair5

Runs in the rain

This is one of the photos I took on my bike ride a few days before the race, it shows part of the HM course with some of the 300 year old oak trees the race was named after. Thanks Mary Kay for telling me how to post photos!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

ummm - I am far more modest.

I am going from no where for many months. I am now on the couch to 5k plan : up to 24 min with 2 walks, 2.2 mi. Please wave as you lap me.

It was actually fun to run in the hot and humid weather. I was missing the drenching sweat at the end of a run!

welcome sluggo!!  Each of us have been there .....starting over whether from being inactive or injuries or life interruptions, etc .......C25K is a great way to get back into running (I've heard), hang in there and you will be "drenching sweat" .......glad you're here, keep us posted and share some experiences as well.  We learn from each other, this group is incredible and offers much encouragement and support! 

Altair:  gorgeous views!!  That really helps on a HM course, those are what I love about running.  Hope recovery is going well.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/2... 4 mile railtrail run with the Tuesday crew.   There were 10 runners today, pretty much an over-the-hill gang, but still putting in the miles.   Time for a day off for me, so tomorrow it is...

Sluggo... welcome aboard!   It's all about staying active and staying healthy regardless of pace, keep up the good work!

az... you have a busy schedule!   Nice run in the rain and enjoy your stay in Philly...

Crazy Diamond

Altair5~Congratulations on running a fine race! You did a great job adapting to the hills and conditions.  Enjoyed reading your RR and the photo of the oaks - majestic!  Enjoy your vacation and visitng your family.

MK~congrats on the 24 mile/week!  Awesome!  Hoka's - I've heard great things about them!

WDWRich~The beautiful scenery can sure help to forget about the humidity, at least for a while!

NHRich~Thanks for starting us off!  Things are looking up in the running dept.!

Dan~92 miles is not too shabby!  Our summer is so fleeting here, participating in all the fun activities helps us get through the rest of the year!

AZ~Nice visit with your family.  Hope they can visit again soon.  Too bad about getting shut out of the 10k, but have fun volunteering.  Safe travels to Philly.  have fun!

Sluggo~Welcome to our merry band!  Highly recommend C25K,  It got me running 4 years ago.  I read your background and you have a lot of experience to share.  Post often on your progress.

Finished August with a 20 mile bike ride to the lakefront.  Monday was SRD, but did get out for a 2 mile walk before the rain storms.  Today - ran my postponed 11 miles, did a 4.5 mile double loop on the parkway and 2 miles on the outdoor track.  Calve pain remains present, lots of foam rolling after.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Quick check in, reply to everyone else a bit later.

A week ago did an 11 mile hike with 1/2 mile elevation gain in first half.  Did something to tendon in left shin and had to take time off. Got runs in on sat and sun to finish off august with 114 miles.  Monday did 5k race in Richmond, time was a nice 22:22, good for 2nd in AG and 6th overall. Did another 3.5 with wife to help her finish her half. Took yesterday as a rest day and hopefully will get a quick run in tonight.

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Great to hear from you.  Congratulations on your great 5k time and awesome placement in the race!  Nice of you to help DW.  Is she continuing her quest to run a HM every month?

Late work day, but fit in an easy 4 miles on the parkway along the river this evening. Rugby and soccer games going on, lots of families out enjoying the drop in humidity.

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/4... 6 mile run today, the first 2 on the railtrail, then back roads for 2 before finishing the final 2 on the highway back into town.    Six is all I want right now, my legs were complaining by the time the run was over...    Splits were 11:07, 10:14, 10:11, 9:26, 9:32 and 9:48.    Between miles 3 and 4 I ran through the covered bridge in the pic...covered bridge

ray... excellent 5K! Congrats!

gito... good luck with that leg, you did well to get in the 11 miler!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Enjoyed your photo of the covered bridge.

justrundan Maybe your mileage was down last month, but you had some nice holidays/visits.

az2mntrail Hope you have a nice trip. Congratulations on your Aug. total.

sluggo Welcome to the forum!

Altair5 Congratulations on your race!  I like your oak trees.

gito57 That's a fair distance on the bike, good job to get in the 11 miles.  Hope the calf is coming along.

3 days off due to work. 6 miles today. More rain and cold this morning. Had to put on the furnace for an hour.

Goal time for race this weekend is 4:40

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 9/5... 8 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail in 39:18.   That pace gives a good aerobic workout, just what I need...

Chantilly... a 4:40 marathon is nothing to sneeze at, good luck this weekend!