50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

rmcj001

Okay, this group is for all us active and coolrunning refugees...

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Found it!

Quo Vadis?

Dutchie42

OK, I'm over 50 and currently trying to finish my version of C25K, so I guess I qualify Smile

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Howdy all...Bit beyond C25K but over 50.  Also left coolrunning back in 2006...Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Crazy Diamond

Welcome Dutchie and shadow runner!

This forum migrated from Active.com, it started(3 yrs ago?) when a group finished C25K.    Many of us began running or returned to running at 50+.  Lots of beginners, half marathoners and a growing group of marathoners!  We share our challenges and triumphs, always encouraging each other and sharing wisdom we've gathered along the way.

This morning a 4 mile brisk hike and then core work out/stretches.  Heading to a fitness expo this afternoon for runners, cyclists & tri-athletes.  The expo is hosting the 5k/10k run I'm participating in tomorrow.   It's race #4 of a 6 race winter running series I sign up for each year.   Half way through winter -- YEA!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Debra,  Great you found it.  Good luck on your run tomorrow -- new PR?

Dutchie and Joe, Welcome!

Just turned 54 (last year in the 50-54 age group).  Started running again at 50 after a 12 year forced layoff.  Othor didn't want me to run then and estimated that I had 20 years left in knee if no running and 10 if I continued to run.  Read "Born to Run" and decided to try Vibrams.  Took awhile to adjust and lots of injuries, but knees haven't felt this good in very long time.  Injuries seem to be chronic with me and currently just starting the journey back from a stress reaction.

Got a mile in on the treadmill this morning (9:51) followed by a 1/4 mile walk.  Legs not perfect, but it's getting there.  Figure next run will be Monday on the treadmill, hopefully with much walking.

Ray

Dutchie42

Hey Joe, are you stalking me Joking Think I also left CoolRunning in 2006? Wasn't that when Active.com took over?

Debra: I've been to an expo only once. It wasn't very big, but hey, this is Holland, everything is small. Have fun today.

Ray: guess you're starting over? Or is this rehab?

After about a year of very inconsistent running due to going back to school, I'm trying to get back into running consistently every other day. So far, that hasn't really worked for me. Today was a LB w/o: traditional exercises alternated with plyo.

Waves to all.

Dutchie

justrundan

Ray-  thanks for setting this up!  Can you explain how to get the sign off on the bottom of posts?  Where you put your name, or where some put quotes.  lowtechdan can't figure it out!Sad

Debra- Good luck with the race tomorrow.  Should be done before the ice storm moves in.

Good to see you all here!  Welcome Joe and Dutchie!

6 miles on the TM today, 62 total for the month so far.  all but about 10 on the TM.

Dan

Dutchie42

A mere and very slow 5 kilometers on the TM this morning. Went pretty well.

Dan: go to options in the right upper corner of your screen, then account info -> forums.

Dutchie

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

I'm here....not sure what my name is as I apparently already had an acct.....from who knows when. I've been lazy since WD Goofy, only 1 run since. I promise I will get back to normal this week....starting tomorrow.

Looks as if I can transfer my running log from Garmin and will hopefully be able to track shoe mileage. I used to do all that at Active and then they did away w/ log. Moved it to Runner's World, but that was a pain in the posterior.

Anyhow, good to see everyone who has already migrated over and hope all the others do as well. We've had a great support group.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Crazy Diamond

Marie~So glad you're here!   How's it going "39.3-er"?  Calling you  just a "marathoner" or "Goofy" won't do.  I'm in awe of your accomplishment.  Isn't there an ol' runner's tale that suggests you should take a rest day for every race mile you've run.  That should mean you get a month+ off, right?!?!

Dutchie~Nicely done on your 5k.  In my book, any run on a treadmill (aka-dreadmill) gets you extra credit!

Dan~WTG on the 6 miles yesterday AND 62 miles for the month -- you're rockin!

Ray~Keep up the good work, you'll be back in no time.

I'll post a RR from today's race soon! (preview - PR!)  Downton Abbey is on, gotta go!  Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Hi folks.  Just registered (coming over from Active since that site has become too much of a pain to use).  I see some friends from Active are already here.  Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

Good morning runners!

Yesterday  DS1 and I ran race #4 of the 6 winter races.  After checking the weather report for Sunday morning, I decided to switch to the 10k and run it as a training run.   My HM training called for 11 miles to be run, so repeated 5 miles of the route after I finished the race.   The out & back route was run on part of an extensive bike path that weaves through the county.  Rolling terrain, prairie, wooded areas and bridges made for an interesting route.  Much preferred over courses through residential areas.  Other than the wooded bridges, the paths had been cleared of snow and were in great winter running condition.   Weather was around 25-degrees F, SW wind @10mph and overcast skies.  The 5k went off first and I cheered on son at the first .5 mile mark.  Returned to the expo to stay warm until I saw the front 5k runners, then headed to the finish line to see son finish.  Missed his goal by 11 seconds, but 3rd in AG!   I headed to the start line for the start of the 10k, with a nice field of about 300 runners.  I had forgotten my Garmin at home on the charging station- duhSurprised  Well, it was to be training run, right?  When the gun fired, I tried deliberately to begin at an easy pace.  As the group passed the expo center, a fair group of spectators cheered us on as we transitioned from the parking lot to the bike path.  I located another runner who runs close to my pace, and we ran together for the first 4 miles.  Grabbed a cup of water and walked through the water/aid station with 1.5 miles left in the race.  At mile 5, the wind picked up and it began to rain ice pellets.  So happy I wore eye protection!  The final mile travels up a long rise and then curves down behind the expo center.  You can here the PA and cheers at the finish echoing off the building so you know you are close.  I was feeling strong and decided to pick up my pace a bit,.  As I turned the corner, son was there with the news I was at 64 minutes.  If I could hold this pace it would be a PR for me.   The finish line and clock was in view and as the youngsters sprint to the finish line because they just can't be seen finishing behind an oldster, I finished 65:01. Big grin  Maybe I should forget my Garmin more often!  Took 1 minute, 15 seconds off my previous 10k time, and good for 4/6 in AG.  The race series is VERY generous with their awards, with 10 place medals going for AG.  Picked up medal, 1/2 banana and a sip of water and headed out for a very slooooow 5 miles.    After, son and I headed for breakfast, much needed coffee and then home for a BIG nap for me!

Have a great week everyone!

Quo Vadis?

Dutchie42

Breaking news:

after 3 queens, the Dutch will have a KING Clown

PARTY time!

Dutchie

dyykjt1

Count me in as being present and accounted for on the new forum!

Welcome to all new members and hello to all my friends from C25K

aka mimiisarunner (Kathy)