50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

Deb- nice PR on the training run!  Then 5 more!  You're getting an excellent prep for your HM.  Keep up the good work.

Dan

Big grin Hey there my friends!!

So glad you all came 'over'............ AC kept getting into a fit and was so frustrating when I couldn't sign in and/or it would lose my replies!

Familiar 'friends' and some from the other forum on here; this is great!

MN 'artic blast' for most of the month has kept me indoors at the local health club on the TM, longest distance was 12.1 miles, ugh!!  Past injuries resurfacing so been on the RICE treatment after my runs now.  Finally TODAY, we had a 'heat wave' of 18 degrees, slight wind, light snow so i played it tough and ran outdoors!!  Yippee!!  After 3 miles, temps started to drop, wind increased, and it started snowing which resulted in poor visibility, so sped up and finished 4.1 miles, about 41 minutes! Short run but it felt so awesome to run outdoors again; alas, there is another cold spell predicted for rest of the weekend, Cry.   Can't wait to get back to milder weather and increase my mileage on my beloved trails for as many days before returning to MN.  Might run a HM on the 17th .......... would love to run the tough technical trail course but have to drive about an hour early in the morning to get there, never ran it before but it sounds challenging and exciting, VERY tempting!!  The other HM is mostly paved, out and back, ran it before, didn't care for it but it's closer compared to the trail race...........hmmmm, will make up my mind the day before, Joking.

So glad to have my fearless friends ~~

justrundan

az2mn- are you getting any of this crazy weather in northern MN?  Currently over 40 here, thunderstorms and pouring rain, by tonight it will be snowing again, 4-5" for our area, and windchills -25 by Thursday night.  Yes, I'll be on the TM again!  closing in on 80 miles for the week.

Run strong and safe friends.

Dan

az2mn- are you getting any of this crazy weather in northern MN?  Currently over 40 here, thunderstorms and pouring rain, by tonight it will be snowing again, 4-5" for our area, and windchills -25 by Thursday night.  Yes, I'll be on the TM again!  closing in on 80 miles for the week.

Run strong and safe friends.

Justrundan:  almost on a daily basis, artic blast keeps visiting.  We had the highest temp of 25 degrees yesterday!!!  But woke up to a winter wonderland this morning, about a foot of snow but it's about 18 degrees, nice!! no wind......yet. I could run but I'm giving achilles tendons and knee some rest, a result of running on the TM for last 2 weeks, ugh!!

"embrace it, embrace it, etc...." uh-huh!!

Have a great day and stay warm!!

rmcj001

Marie,  You found it! Great!

AZ,  Decisions, decisions.  Good to have choices and the one thing I learned from my CS classes is that late binding is a good thing.  Sleep on it and let it percolate...

Deb,  Great Race!

Dan,  some pretty good mileage you're getting in - even if it's on the dreadmill.

Runner59 & WDRich,  Welcome!  Don't be shy about posting.

Did a quick walk yesterday, 4.3 miles @ 12:30/Mi.  Don't know if you have checked out some of the features here like the "Reports" and uploading runs from your Garmin watches.  I'd uploaded to the Garmin site, but now I can upload to here as well.  Data entry should be lot easier and more accurate.  Now, just need to remember my garmin on my workouts...

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Yes, I do like all the features, esp. the training log and uploading from the Garmin (when I remember it)

az2mntrail~Wow, 12.1 miles on the treadmill!  Shocked There should be a medal for that achievement.  Hope RICE did the trick and your injuries are fleeting.

Dan~80 miles!  Way-to-go buddy!   Be careful out there with the weather system that's approaching.  Looks like we're going to get a little of everything.

Mimi~So glad you're here!

Dutchie~I've read the new King was the life of the party in his younger years.   Good luck!

Enjoyed our annual January thaw,  with a record 59-degrees F today.  Ran an easy 3.4 miles on the bike path along the river.  It was magical!  The conditions created swirling vapors above the water, like a witch's cauldron.  Lots of runners, walkers, cyclists and photographers taking advantage of the mild weather.  It was great to wear shorts and a long sleeved tech tee for a change instead of layer upon layer.   Happy to have a touch of spring to reminds us that it won't be long now.  Stopped at TJ's for some daffodils to help me remember that while we have single digit temps this weekend.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

The spring thaw brought 48 degrees to my area; by the time I got out over lunch however the wind was picking up and a cold mist was starting.  Got in a quick 2 miles before going in to dry off, cool down and get ready for afternoon schedule.  You're right Debra, getting outside even occasionally is nice, a reminder of runs to come!  How long before I'll be complaining about heat and humidity?  Undecided   Rest day tomorrow after 6 days in a row.  Highs in single digits with snow Thursday, so it'll be TM time again.

Run safe and strong friends.

Dan

OK, I finally figured this out.  I did a profile and here's a different picture, this one from the 2011 Des Moines Marathon with my son and daughter-in-law.  His ribbon is different because he did the full marathon that year.  He's signed up for Tough Mudder in Wisconsin in July.  The course video looks like it's for Navy SEALs' training.  Oh to be 33 again.

Debra, thanks for telling me about this site.  Smile

2014 Races:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, May 3, Kenosha, WI

Dam To Dam HM, June 1, Des Moines, IA

Garry Bjorkman Half Marathon, June 21, Duluth, MN

Des Moines (Half) Marathon, October 19 (registered)

Steve:  Great to see you here!!  I remember you mentioned the Duluth HM on your goal list, I am hoping my schedule will allow me to participant per lottery selection of course.

gito57:  The longest distance I ran on a TM was 24 miles though, seriously!!  HAD TO, it was training for my first marathon to be held in Jan., so my LONG run had to be indoors in Dec. when we HAD to visit the in-laws in North Dakota!! What are the odds, haha!!

Deb:  you're doing awesome for HM event!!

Another winter wonderland here in northern MN, slight wind, and high of 8 degrees, brrrrr!!! Snow packed, icy, slick roads and should be out only if you HAVE to, this is getting 'old.' (no pun intended, haha).  Last I ran was Monday, outside in 18 degrees, light wind and snowed off and on, 4.1 miles, about 41 minutes.  Trying to stay optimistic.  How long before I start to 'lose' it, Confused

az2:  Please let me know if you plan to apply for the Bjorkland HM.  If we both get in, we can try to meet at some point (exchange race numbers etc. so we can spot each other).

2014 Races:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, May 3, Kenosha, WI

Dam To Dam HM, June 1, Des Moines, IA

Garry Bjorkman Half Marathon, June 21, Duluth, MN

Des Moines (Half) Marathon, October 19 (registered)

Art in AZ

Thought I would speak up here. Have been following on Active for a couple of years and agree it was, umm... has become a pain to view because of the time it took to display.

Have done several races and have am doing the Phoenix HM on 03/02/2103 and then the Mountain to Fountain (15K) on 03/10/2013. Looking at a few others in the future but can't decide.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Steve and Art - Glad you found it!

Steve, nice pic.  Have a similar one of me, my wife and son, except I'm the short one!

Art,  We'll be expecting race reports...

AZ, back in MN - good run.

Debra, 59F and a long sleeve shirt.  Long sleeve don't come into play unless it's below 50F - that rarely happens around here.

Dan, Getting the miles in - should be a good year for racing!

Did a 1 mile treadmill run today with a 4.4 mile walk at lunch.  Leg is getting better and think I'll be able to start really running next week.  Real test will be how it feels tomorrow.

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Steve~So happy you you leaped over to RA.  Great photo!

Art~Great to have you here, post often!

Ray~re:  long sleeve shirt.   Just couldn't wrap my head around wearing a short sleeve shirt In January in Wisconsin!   The fluctuations in temperature is what makes Wisconsin interesting.Big grin

az2mntrail~You are a trooper for getting out in those conditions!  I've spent my entire life in the upper mid-west, so I'm used to it.  I don't mind the cold, it's the ice and possibility for injury that moves me to the indoor track when necessary.

Yesterday's storm left snow over ice on the paths and sidewalks, so heading to the track for a 6 mile tempo run today.   Hopefully, DS2 and I can get in some cross country skiing  this afternoon before the temps do a nose dive!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

az2:  Please let me know if you plan to apply for the Bjorkland HM.  If we both get in, we can try to meet at some point (exchange race numbers etc. so we can spot each other).

Stevebikerun:  Absolutely Cool.  Remind me when the lottery opens.  My business travels should be slowing down after May; thus spending more time in MN, and hope to visit Duluth soon.  I do hope to run a FM (3rd) early May.  Despite the frigid weather conditions here in northern MN, I am trying to not slack off so although the TM and I are not on the best of terms lately, I am gonna go for a short run this afternoon.  I have to motivate myself ...."just one more mile, that's less than 10 minutes, one more, etc..." It helps Big grin.

rmcj001:  walking has its benefits; smart training and smart recovery is my motto since entering this half century of my life Joking.  Garmin is a must for me on my trail runs; need to invest in an ID bracelet tho' ........... a safety feature for trail running. Glad you're on the mend.

ART:  where are you in AZ?  I am in northern MN but also live in northern AZ thus my love of trail running.  I do spend most of my time in PHX area during the 'winter' months visiting our 2 grandbabies and running the desert mts.  Miss my trails and even the 7.000 + elevation!!

gito57:  great training program!!  Not sure if I would be any more 'friendly' to an indoor track versus a TM, haha!!  different strokes for different folks, right?  There's a smaller track here at a university but it's takes longer to drive there than to the health club.  This winter crap is really bumming me out .......... gosh, am I whining or trying to talk myself out of running today? or both?  haha!!

Ok, ok, I'm going to go run on TM ........

Art in AZ

Thanks all for the welcome.

AZ2MN - Recognized you from Active. Others I have to get use to the changed name. I am in Mesa, AZ and mostly do events in the East Valley and usually on the road. Not much choice here. Though the last trail run I did was the Cactus Cha-Cha 7 miler last year I try to get out to the Superstitions once in a while and run there in order to get hill training practice. Speaking of hills I was looking at the Prescott Whiskey Row HM in May. But then I saw the elevation chart.. Yikes! 1000' elevation change up to the turn around point. Well at least it's all down hill on the way back. Was wondering how the elevation would affect me?

I was thinking of seeing if those of us in the Phoenix area would be interested in doing an event together in the future. I know Nancy Freeman is near here and she has been in a few of the same events as I after I read her race reports.

For all of you in cold areas I can sympathize as I grew up in the Chicagoland area and remember how cold it can get. I do not miss the cold at all. But with cold being a relative thing I now think it's cold when it gets into the 40s and 50s here in Arizona. I am a warm weather person.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ