50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~Welcome!

Richard~I would like to get to the place where I could run a HM every month.  I'm sure it will come with more experience and more miles run.

AZ~Sweet guy, your hubby!  Love to read show reviews - which ones did you get?  Great to hear your husband has recovered and able to join you for some exercise.

Dan~I hope you and your wife enjoy your stay in MKE!

Marie~When I'm not training for a particular event, my running is as follows.(read this somewhere, RW?)

• Tuesday:  3 - 5 miles, easy
    • Thursday:  5 - 7 miles, tempo
    • Friday:  3 - 4 miles, easy
    • Sunday:  long, slow distance.  Alternate 6, 8 10 miles.

Yesterday 12 miles, LSD at the indoor track.  Missed hitting my lap counter a few times, so it ended up being closer to 13!  Very crowded at the track due to the cold and  ice/snow outdoors.  Some folks too plugged in to music, running/walking 3 abreast and down the center of the track  - oblivious to others!   I'm slow and don't pass much, but it must be frustrating for those trying to do speedwork/tempo run to have to slow down or come to a complete stop to deal with those who are so inconsiderate.   A woman "wacked" me (not in a Sopranos kind of way)  twice because she was having a heated discussion with a fellow walker and was gesturing with her hands!   I didn't see it coming and kept my distance after that!  At least its only like this on weekends -  thanks for letting me rant.Smile  I feel better.

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Got up Saturday morning for my planned 11 mile run.  I was feeling lousy for some reason so I cut it off at 9.5 miles at 10 mins per which is a bit slow for me.  Weather was partly cloudy with a temp about 50 degrees.  Best thing about the run was the gorgeous sunrise that turned the sky into intense shades of gold, pink and orange for about 15 minutes.  Gotta love the early runs!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

About 15 below here, up early and decided to do a double run.

Ran 6 miles, first 2 miles tempo, 3 miles intervals, then finished last mile tempo, about 1:05, ran in my trail shoes on TM.

Plan on running another 4 miles this evening while hubby walks.  Will run on indoor track in my new ACIS Gel-Kinsei 4 road shoes.

gito57:  that's pretty annoying!  It's frustrating when a group of walkers/runners form a blockade like the Berlin Wall in a race!!  Or they stop in the middle or in front of you instead of to the side!!  That should be in the race/track use information, in CAPS and BOLD print. That's what I'm afraid of the more I run on the indoor track while hubby walks (and he's considerate; he walks to exercise, not to socialize).  So I keep it short and run my longer intervals on the TM, and longer runs on the trails. Glad you didn't get a hurt or a black eye Black eye.

WDWRich:  awesome on your determination to get some great mileage despite the 'lousy' feeling!  It happens!  There's always another day to run.  Love your positive attitude in the end, appreciating the wondrous of nature with the morning lights Cool.

Chantilly75

Yesterday 12 miles, LSD at the indoor track.  Missed hitting my lap counter a few times, so it ended up being closer to 13!  Very crowded at the track due to the cold and  ice/snow outdoors.  Some folks too plugged in to music, running/walking 3 abreast and down the center of the track  - oblivious to others!   I'm slow and don't pass much, but it must be frustrating for those trying to do speedwork/tempo run to have to slow down or come to a complete stop to deal with those who are so inconsiderate.   A woman "wacked" me (not in a Sopranos kind of way)  twice because she was having a heated discussion with a fellow walker and was gesturing with her hands!   I didn't see it coming and kept my distance after that!  At least its only like this on weekends -  thanks for letting me rant.Smile  I feel better.

Good job on your LSD.

Our indoor track has 6 lanes, 3 for walking & 3 for running. It can be a zoo there sometimes, with running clubs going one way and everyone else in the other direction.  A sign is posted about the directions and purpose of each lane/lane reservations, and most people go the right way, but we still have the 3 abreast people talking, and people who walk across the lanes, thinking that runners can just stop on a dime. It all seems to work, but I've seen some close calls, so can understand your frustration..

Do I put my workout in this thread or the other one?

4 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

I am so glad I do not have to run on a treadmill. Being in Mesa, AZ means the weather is usually fine to run in all the time. Yes, even in the summer. I am a warm/hot weather person. Never have liked the cold. The time I ran on a treadmill was when I was at Road Runners getting shoes. What a bad and unnatural feeling.

Sunday ran 13 miles in 2:05 getting ready for my next half on May 2nd. The plan was just do the run to see where I was with the distance. Felt a little off in the beginning for whatever reason. I just let my mind wander and hoped for a decent time. Felt like I was going to be around 2:15 - 2:20. Surprised when I got back and it was 2:05. The route I run for this distance has me looking at the clock, leaving the house and walking a few blocks and then I start to run, there are 8 intersections I have to cross, and then stop about a block from home and walk the rest of the way. Once inside I look at the clock and figure my time. Not accurate but I can judge my time from this.

Running in the Chinese Year of the Dragon 5K Sunday. The weather prediction right now is for a chance of rain and temps of high 30s or low 40s.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dyykjt1

Hello Everyone!

I am having a hard time acclimating to this forum for some reason. I really do not know what post to post to if you know what I mean. I do not know whether to post in the "Hi" forum or the workout for the week forum. Also, I am having a problem knowing who is who here. Some I can figure out and some I cannot.

Oh well, I have never done well with change.

Temps here are very nice this week as well as the past weekend. High in the low to mid 60's partly cloudy.  I do not envy you that are running in the snow and cold...not for me anymore. I have done several workouts on the TM this winter that I normally would not do.

Marie...when I do not have any races planned in the near future, I will just pick up a plan for a HM and follow it as though I am going to run the event. I also agree that once you have done your HM, it is easy to stay trained for a HM at any time by just running you usual miles during the week and then a 11-12 mile lsr every weekend. This way you never have to start from scratch with training again! LOL

I have my 3rd HM of the year this Saturday! I am looking forward to it and then weekend after next I will run my 4th HM of the year...the Disney Princess Half Marathon with friends!! So excited about this! Smile

By the way...I do not know who runner59 is, but this is Kathy (Mimi)

'Heat wave' today here in northern MN, with a high of about 12 degrees, ABOVE ZERO!!

Warmer temps predicted for a few days this week, unbelievable!!  Just when I am leaving on business trip, Roll eyes; would be running outside instead of on the TM.  Anyway, it was about 2 degrees this morning though. Work kept me busy, overcast skies got me in a depressed state of mind and icy roads forced me to run indoors at the health club on the TM after all.

10.1 miles, 1:32, intervals, last 2 miles at 2% grade was pretty tough but made it, yippee!!

Can't wait to run my trails, and get some hill repeats in when back in northern AZ at 7,000+ ft!

Ran in my new ACIS; achilles and knee sore but feeling good with some stretching and use of foam roller brings divine relief.

Registered for a HM on the 17th; in and out paved course, ugh!! but scenic Wink.

Runner59:  Good Luck this Saturday!!  Sounds like fun with some quality time with friends at the 'happiest place on earth!'

ArtinAZ:  Good luck this Sunday!!  Tempe event?

Chantilly:  4 miles are great!! I am posting on this "Hi" forum rather than the "workouts ...." forum. Gets redundant and don't want to spend too much time on additional forums/groups.

Art in AZ

Runner59 - I know what you mean about learning the new site. And trying to keep up to date with several different discussions. It's easier I think to follow one discussion instead of trying to decide which discussion goes where.

Agree that after training and running a HM it is relative easy to stay in shape for a HM by running 11 - 13 miles every other weekend. At least it has worked for me since my last HM was back in November and my times are still good.

Wow! 3 HMs so far this year plus another by the end of the month. How long do you plan to keep this pace?

AZ2MN - Need to get new shoes myself. One of my pair of shoes has over 500 miles and my feet are starting to hurt when I run in them. They are Asics GT-2170 and I like them. Tried the new GT-2000 on but it didn't feel as good to me. Will probably get Brooks Adrenaline GTS-13 as the other shoe in my rotation is the GTS-12 and I like them.

Saw that you signed up for the Lost Dutchman. Good luck there. My schedule is still on hold for that weekend so my next half will be the Phoenix HM March 2.

The run Sunday is right next to Tempe. Papago Park is right by the zoo on the border with Phoenix. It will be interesting to see where the course winds through.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Green Machine

I just found the link to this site from the Active.com forum.  Looks like an interesting site for us "half century plus" folks.

My daughter got into distance running a year or so ago.  It spurred me to start back into running last year after many years of just biking around our neighborhood near Hilton Head, SC.  I ran a couple of races with her and ended up beating her times!  (She's more into the distance races - she ran the Philly Marathon and did an Ironman 70.3 last year.)

I'm more interested in "speed races" - primarily 5Ks.  I'm going to run with my daughter in the Marietta (GA) Mardi Gras 5K this weekend - should be a new experience as there are NO hills here in the Lowcountry of SC!  I'm hoping to finally break 24 minutes in an "official" 5K race - I've done it in practice and in a "distance-challenged" 5K race here last fall.  (Another runner's GPS watch indicated that it was about 300m short!)

Cool Runnings!

David

rmcj001

Old-Runner (Rich) - Those are some nice times you've been running.  Welcome to the group! (A little late, but better late then never)

Chantilly - Welcome to you too!  You won't go wrong posting to the "Hi!" thread, whatever feels best.  I think the weekly threads are more specific, but more closely duplicate posts from the "Boomer and Beyond" group on active.

AZ -  New shoes, your spouse is pretty nice.  Way to get the runs in.

Marie - I still think of you as "Painting Lady".  Spring doesn't last long out here and I don't mind the cold (oh, wait we don't get it Smile)  I was looking to colder weather just to see what I might be able to do w/o sweating and have ended up waiting to heal...

GitO - your general plan looks good.  It should keep you in shape.

WDRich - you get up too early!  Our schedules might overlap if I get to bed late...

Art - It's only confusing 'cuz I'm confused.  Or, is it 'cuz our hippocampus is shrinking as we get older and our short term memory with it.

Maybe we're just single threaded - I can't remember anymore - what were we talking about?

Runner59/Kathy - Are a 1959 baby or 59 yo?  It is good to know who everyone is.  I think that's why I like the "Reports" section and Athlinks site.  Helps me figure out who everyone is, sort of.

David - Welcome!   How old is your daughter?  My son is 21 and kicks my tired old butt at both shorter distances and longer distances.

You'll find the group is of all levels of runners here.  I've run few 5Ks all the way up half marathon.  Signed up for the SF Marathon year and hoping to start my training journey soon.  That will probably include 5Ks, 10Ks and at least 1 1/2 before things happen this summer.

Ran 2.5 miles as part of my Monday walk (4.4 miles total).  Walked the 4.4 yesterday and ran the first 4.1 today.  Monday I was wearing work clothes and "real" shoes.  Today was the vibrams and right now the leg feels good, but won't know for sure for a couple days.  Should be fun walking tomorrow...

Ray

ks1g

Howdy all!  57 yo (or yy?) here, long time cyclist (3-4,000 miles /year), started running last October-November at the encouragement of several folks in our little dawn patrol ride group.  I have my FIRST EVER race this Sunday - a 5K (Run Your Heart Out, Reston VA), also have a 10 miler (Reston) in early March and a half-M (new, Reston Runners) the end of March.  The half-m was what got this all started.  Following Hal Higdon Novice 1 1/2-M plan (found it on Training Peaks), albeit with slightly higher mileage as I have plenty of aerobic endurance, albeit not of the running variety.  I guess I am following the S25K/10M/HM (Saddle to 5K/10mile/HM) plan.  I discovered this site from (I think?) Active.com.  Seems a lot better over here.

So far, I've learned:

- I discovered muscles, ligaments, and tendons I never knew I had!

- In particular, upper IT band (sidelined me for a week when I was starting - too much too soon!)

- I need to stretch more (a constant)

- Who knew a foam roller was actually a self-torture device?

- Cold weather cycling tops have handy pockets in the back useful for holding junk when running. Fortunately, I stopped caring how I look while doing anything like this a long time ago.

- Running 8 miles the day after a rip-your-legs-off CompuTrainer session (indoor cycling) is NOT a good idea. [Fortunately the coach was able to switch me to a midweek session this week so I can actually run on Sunday instead of stagger.]

- I'm really excited to be in my 1st competitive event ever! (officially, century rides are not competitive, even if a lot of us act like it is sort of)

While my MAIN goal is to finish and enjoy the experience, I'm curious how I'll do speed/pace-wise.  My best ever 5K in training is just under 30 minutes.  Normal steady pace is somewhere between 11:00-10:00.  The 5K uses the Reston trail system, so I expect some congestion and lots of short hills, probably a little steeper than the hills in my neighborhood but shorter.  Probably not what people would call a fast course.  I've ridden the area (not the trails), so I have a reasonable idea of the general terrain.  So I guess I am hoping to beat 35 min and will be happily stoked if chasing other people motivates me to finish in under 30:00.

"What does not kill me makes me stronger" (some dead philosopher)

"But you'd be surprised what you can live through!" (The Genie, Disney's Aladdin 2)

PR:  5K: 28:01 (2/10/13), 10K: 58:21 (6/2/13) ;10M: 1:38:28 (3/3/13) HM: 2:08;58 (3/24/13)

2013 Schedule

Run Your Heart Out 5K 2/10 (Reston, VA)

Reston 10 Miler 3/3

Runner's Half Marathon (Reston VA) 3/24

Herndon Festival 10K (6/2)

...next ???

justrundan

Debra-Milwaukee is fine!  The storm will make it interesting though.  The exercise room is nice, but no fans!!  Like running in a sauna.  Maybe it will get me ready for those August runs!The Hyatt is great, except they now give you 1 cup regular and 1 cup decaf for the in room coffee maker.  Shocked  DW & I really like our morning coffee!

az2mn- Glad you finally saw positive numbers on your thermometer!  Enjoy those trails in AZ!

Kathy(mimi)-  Wow, 3rd HM already.  I have 2 planned for the year so far.  I need to add in a shorter race in my training to assess progress.  I kind of like the idea of 'always being ready' for HM by doing an LSD of 10-12 ever other weekend.  Then I could jump in anytime I saw one that looked like fun.  Wouldn't have to run all of them like I was gunning for a PR.

David- welcome to the 'half century + group'!!  Some of us are hitting the next decade soon.  Smile  Look forward to reading about your 5K races.

ks1g- also welcome!  You MUST have a great aerobic  base with all that biking!  I just started running 2 years ago, so I've started from a very low level.  I'm thinking of adding biking 1-2 days/week this summer to take a break for my legs.   I think when the race adrenaline is flowing you will surprise yourself with your time this weekend.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

3.7 miles on the Hyatt TM this morning, keeping to the low hear rate pace.  I wish I could say I've seen a significant improvement, but it's been tough to get good repeatable measurement.  Tomorrow plan the weeks LSD @ indoor track that Debra uses so much.  Looking forward to that new experience.

Have a great weekend running/racing!

Dan

WDWRich

Ray- No worries on getting to bed late.  I've always been an early bird and my best runs are those in the early morning.  Works well for actual races though!  If you're heading in for the night when I'm heading out for a run, be sure to wave "Hi".   Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Chantilly75

runner59 I used to post on the " my last run was..."  thread on coolrunning, about 3 years ago, never posted in the 50 and over thread.  Then when there were upgrades to the site, I left.  Kinda lurked around the web on various running sites after that.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

David - Good luck this weekend. Sounds look you will get your goal. I am doing a 5K this Sunday for fun as the last one I did was last July. I like the longer distance races more. Nice running with your daughter in a race. Trying to get my daughter to sign up for a race but with her schedule with the 2 grand daughters having some kind of dance practice/competition every weekend it hasn't happen yet.

Ray - Sounds like you are getting there. I know it's aggravating when it seems to be going slower than we like.

ks1g - Welcome and good luck this Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if you get under 30 minutes. Especially if you let the adrenaline of running against others push you a little. I ride my bike as a cross training piece of my routine. I think it complements my running. No matter what your time will be, enjoy your first race.

Dan - Running in a sauna. I can relate living here and running in the summer in the hot part of Arizona. I like the positive thinking. Training for the summer runs. At which point you will be thinking about running in the cooler weather.

Put in 5 miles this morning and probably the same for tomorrow. Might do some Saturday before Sundays 5K. Depending on the weather might do more later in the day for the mileage.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ