50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

Yesterday I woke up with a doozie of a head cold, so postponed my 5 mile run until today.  Decided to run at the indoor track because winter refuses to budge, and I just couldn't deal with the wind and cold.  Lousy run and I felt horrible, but the miles are in.  Hopefully the symptoms will clear up before Saturday's race.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Debra - thanks for the suggestion regarding sleep. Thought it was due to mileage but now I'm thinking it was early allergies. Took NyQuil and got about three days sleep and now feel much more human!! Great job getting in your runs outside!!

Marie - Charge on Might Leader!! If this can be done, You can DO it!!! Look at all you've done already? So sorry about the storm of bad news but am very inspired by how you are using that to motivate! Good luck on your quest!!

Art - Great race report !! Amazing job and Awesome time!!! It's always nice to PR! Enjoy the glow.  Post race blahs are normal. Push yourself out for a short run on training days and you'll get your feet back.

Dan - started training with carb loading? Hahahaha!! So that's how you do it? Going to be the grandfather of the bride? That's exciting!!

Az - again, glad to hear you're able to get out and burn off some stress. Thinking of DH and hope his recovery is quick and full! You will do fine in your marathon! There are 8 weeks left, 7 to run. I just went from 13 to 18 and no injury. All you need is a couple of 20 mi runs. I'm thinking 4 weeks and you'll be ready.

Rich - Loved your race report! Amazing job on your race pacing and time!! Awesome PR!! So sorry about Rob. I'm sure you'll miss him and glad you got a chance to honor him with the race. Good job with the recovery run!!

Ray - Good runs! If you are in the Bay area, I registered for the SF Giant's race on 8/4, either the 10k or HM, Idk. Loved the idea of finishing in the park!

Altair - If you are running 11 mi today, you could run a HM next week. Several training plans only go to 10 mi. If you want to do it, go for it!

So this is the weekend's run report and apologies if you've seen this already on the other thread:

Saturday's 10k race was rough. It was windy and, for me, cold. I knew the course would be hard but I don't think I ran even half of it. Went out too fast. I had no idea what speed I could run since I've been jogging along for the last 8 weeks so I tried running at the pace of my last race, about 11:30. And it felt ok for a few minutes but couldn't sustain it. So I may have sacrificed some conditioning to get the aerobic burn. I'm interested to see how long it takes to recover it. However, at the end of the slog, I was not as tired as usual. That will happen when you're only WALKING! And then didn't the sun come out? So I thought I'd have an even longer time than last year but it was 7 min shorter. Surprise! Then Scott reminded me that I spent about 5 min lost last year trying to find the finish. It's the first race of the season so it's all downhill from here, in a good way.

Sunday's 18 m is done!! I was so stressing it! Had no course plan but the weather was soooo perfect, I had no reason for excuses AND I woke up at 6:30. Amazing!! ? Not! Time changed but it was like 9 pm before I remembered. I usually choose a course to control the hills and traffic but in this case the run was so long I had no choice but buck up so I ran from the middle of Cincy east 6 mi. to the bike/rail path, north 3 miles and then back. Passed through some very depressed areas but it was early. Wore hydration pack but not full. Thought I had enough water but ran out at 7m. That wasn't good. Thank God for men's car love! Twice now I've glommed water from men hosing down their cars. Was tired at 13. I'd been out about 3:30 by then which was actually a bit faster than last week but slow by your standards. Sat down and ate, dammit. it was only a couple of bites but the transition from moving to sitting felt great. Well time for that mile was blown but finished out the 18. Started around 7:30 and finished around 1. Folks were running past in just a shirt and capris or shorts. I stayed bundled in three layers. Being wet when I'm not hot makes me really cold quickly. Couldn't take the gloves off until around 11. Might have a health issue. Anyway, at the end my sholders hurt the most, then my back. Didn't have any pain in the legs. Actually changed clothes in a restroom and ate lunch. So, the waitress says, Beautiful weather! Are you going to get out today? I said, I've been running for five hours. She said, That's a lot of errands! Smile

Biggest problem is how to keep going for that long and how to find the time. FIVE hours! Surprised Still don't know what to do about the intervals, whether to keep them and how often. Also have been experimenting with fuels bc I don't like the texture of gel and it is all sugar/dextrose. May try Sunsweet Ones for the HM this weekend. They have everything but sodium and caffein, which I can get from a sport drink or Emergen-C, which I love, and a cup of coffee!

Later! Great runs to all!!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Debra - great job pushing out the 5 mi.!! Hope your head clears!

Mary Kay

WDWRich

Deb- Good luck at this weekend's race.  Get some rest if you can- it's probably going to help you more with the cold than any more running at this point.

To all my run friends- Have a great weekend and if you're running an event, I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Yesterday I woke up with a doozie of a head cold, so postponed my 5 mile run until today.  Decided to run at the indoor track because winter refuses to budge, and I just couldn't deal with the wind and cold.  Lousy run and I felt horrible, but the miles are in.  Hopefully the symptoms will clear up before Saturday's race.

Run strong friends!

Doesn't that just sucks?!?

Woke up feeling crappy today too. Sad  Last run was Wed., 10.1 miles even tho' I felt a cold coming on from my Sunday's run in the cold breeze which I was hoping wouldn't affect me but I am prone to sore throats from windy days and even air-conditioners in the summers.  Body kinda aches, coughed all night, throat is pretty irritated; day has been depressingly dreary, gloomy and cloudy, and to make me feel even more miserable, it started to snow about 2 hrs ago, Cry and doesn't look like it's gonna stop anytime soon!  SERIOUSLY?!?  I am so tired of this winter!!  Yeah, was hoping to run even a couple of miles today but I don't like to run 'junk miles' just to say I ran.  Prefer quality runs over quantity.  Anyway, guess we'll see how tomorrow goes. It's suppose to be sunny, uh-huh.

Have a super weekend everyone!!  BEST OF LUCK to each of you who are racing this weekend!!

Mkayc:  WAY TO GO on your determination to run the 18 miles!!! Big grin Proud of you!!  It's important to get your legs, body to know how it feels to be running that long and in hours. Be careful, it is still stressful on the body so post recovery is critical.

Good to know! Thanks!! Az- you may want to look into light Therapy. It makes sense the difference between AZ and MN in the winter would trigger a bad reaction given how the weather limits you. It works.

Well, three miles to test aerobic functioning but HR was high. 14:30mm pace is an improvement but have seen better.

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Oh wow, I'm away from the computer for a week and have a lot of catching up on the thread!  So good to see everyone running races & completing new distances.  Sorry to hear about other's colds and aches. Knock on wood.... (an old superstition saying to keep it away) but I haven't had a cold or flu at all this year. I attribute it to swilling down an Emergen C  every night. They taste horrible, but I think they have worked. Wink

Tks for the comments of support for my parents. This was a good week (as weeks go) for both of them.

I did get my runs all in and really stayed true to my clean eating regime. It has been mostly vegetarian, but I do have eggs, milk, yogurt. Surprisingly, I haven't been very hungry, nor had a lot of cravings. I did have physical withdrawal (from sugar?) the first two days. Every cell in my body seemed to be screaming!! Shocked

Happy St Patty's Day everyone. May the luck of the Irish be with each of you, the wind at your back, the the dog doodie out of your path.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Art in AZ

To all those that weren't feeling well, hope you have recovered and are able to enjoy running this weekend.

Debra - Hope your 10K went better than expected.

Dan - Good luck on your race also.

AZ2MN - I'm betting you're anxious to get back to Flag and enjoy some runs there.

Marie - Just wait to when you are really use to the new eating routine later and then you get the cravings for something you haven't had in a while. I don't eat a lot of sweets, except for dark chocolate, remember it's a health food. But a couple of times a year I really have a taste for some candy, Snickers bar and Butterfinger, and Sandies cookies. The dark chocolate with almonds ones of course. After a couple of weeks the feeling goes away. I just run a little more.

Mary Kay - Can I ask what you are trying to accomplish? I don't remember reading about it early. The reason I ask is because if I read your posting correctly I'm a little concerned. Last Saturday the 9th you did a 10K race. Followed by a 18 mile run on Sunday that took 5 and a half hours to do. I see that you did some stops in there. This with a half marathon this weekend. Usually running in a half, most people wouldn't be doing 18 miles the week before. More power to you

Went out for 8 miles this morning. Felt good at the end so ran 2 more miles for a total of 10. No Sunday morning run as I have to be at a swap meet at 6:00 AM. Then I come home and plan on working on the car I'm restoring.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Storm made it through here last night, about 17 BELOW and woke up to about 6 BELOW, but warming up now, about 5 degrees!! Pretty much in the teens and single digits for the rest of the week (they say).  Still not feeling well, dry hacking cough resulting in very irritated throat, slight fever last night but a couple of Day Quils should get me functioning to watch March Madness college hoops!!  Yelling not recommended, Wink.  Vision is good though, haha!! Can't let my misery get the best of me so just waiting out this crappy cough and miserable weather.

The bright light in my weekend was that our granddaughter turned 2 on Saturday!!  WOW!! already and she loves being a 'big sister!!'

Art:  Yes, I CAN'T WAIT to run my trails in northern AZ and in PHX desert mts. while I visit my grandbabies and hope to get some bike rides on my Harley during AZ Bike Week Cool.  Gosh, will I be complaining of the HOT TEMPS there already?!?  Confused What kind of car are you remodeling?  Great 8 miler just because you can!  Wink  Those 'days' seem like long ago .......... boohoo!!!  haha!

Gito57:  How are you??

Marie:  glad you're parents had a good week!  My DH's sister (has 4 other siblings) decided to step up and care for the parents for awhile.  Over the years, DH has been the one who is 'expected' to help out physically and financially so this has really relieved much of the worry for DH (us).  I worry about the added stress on DH as result of parents' aging/health issues so I'm glad his sister is there.

DH and I are in the dental health profession so I can understand the 'sugar' addiction of most people.  It's everywhere so hard to avoid.  I don't have a sweet tooth and can live without it but I know most people 'can't' or 'won't' and we have witness/seen the consequences (on the body and teeth). It's tough to 'quit' so just like any other addiction, it's a slow process.  You did it the 'hard way' by 'cold turkey!'  AWESOME!!  There are lots of alternative options but it's difficult for many to make it a habit.  

Dan:  how was the race?

justrundan

az2mn-  Wow, you are really being hit hard by the cold. Are you near Hibbing, or Bemidji.  I hope not International Falls!!

I didn't have a race this weekend, my son signed up for a 5K earlier this week, ran it today.  No training!  He and friend had a good time, that's the main thing for his first race in 18 mo.  I don't have a race scheduled until the HM first Saturday in May.  gito will be doing that one too, I think. Besides wanting to get outside to run, I've been hankering to get my BMW out for a ride.  This time last year I'd had it out several times, but it was 60-80 much of March 2012 here!  So much sand on the roads here!  Enjoy that first ride of the year when you get back to AZ.   Hope your cold clears soon so you can cheer your favorite team next weekend.

Deb- how was the 10K?  Hope you're kicking your cold as well.

Art- nice job turning the 8 into a 10 miler!!

No run Friday after being up most of the night before.  Saturday did 10 miles on TM in just over 2 hours; glad I got it done, disappointed in how hard it seemed.  getting back on the road will make it easier to judge effort, at least for me.

Have a great week running friends!

Dan

Another snowstorm here, Cry  it's still snowing and pretty breezy, the temps show about 12 degrees but it has to be COLDER than that!! (I don't trust our temp gauge).  About 6"-8" of snow predicted.  Still feeling miserable;; dry, hacking cough is relentless, throat is severely irritated but body aches and fever gone.  Resting alot but I just can't take naps so my sleeping schedule has stayed pretty normal.  Watched NCAA conference games all weekend while DH kept me informed of the NASCAR events!!  yeah, I know!!  Blush

And, I am lurking the forums, haha!!

Friends and family telling me it's practically summer in the SW with 60+ degrees; now, that's mean!! Joking

Dan:  I'm near Bemidji, yeah, pretty cold and still in WINTER SEASON; really trying to 'adapt' but it's pretty dismal lately.  You are doing great with your training runs even though you're on the dreadmill, WAY TO GO!!  I could do that but why double my misery?!? Cry Wink

Crazy Diamond

Friends in the upper Midwest~Last March we enjoyed temperatures 20F degrees ABOVE normal, this year the temps are 20F degrees BELOW normal.  It has a way of balancing out, right?  Although, I don't recall a recent winter that has had so many gray and overcast days strung together like this one. Disapprove

Dan~Great job toughing out the 10 tread-miles!  Just booked the accommodations for my family for DCHM.  Coming up quick!Surprised

AZ~You deserve a special endurance medal for living through your first winter in MN!  Are you and your Harley making the pilgrimage to Milwaukee for the 110th?

Art~Nice 10 miler!  Restoring cars???  Dad always had a Model A in various stages of assembly in our barn

Marie~Great work on running and the dietary changes!  Thanks for the tip on Emergen C.  I have gotten back to drinking a daily tea of cider vinegar, bee pollen and raw honey.  It was my grandmother's cure-all from all the byproducts from her orchard.  Also, have a serving of Bolthouse Farms C-Boost juice every day.

MaryKay~You sure had a heavy-duty weekend with the 10k race and the 18 mile workout!  Great work getting it done and building endurance.  I would have needed a rest day before the 18 miles for sure.  The waitress story.....priceless!  I hope your HM went well this weekend.  You ran it as a training run, right??Wink

Feeling much better, and Saturday's 10k went well.  Be back with a RR later.  Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art - I'm training for my first full on May 5th, the Flying Pig and that  is why all the miles. Yes, usually a HM would be the goal but this one was a cut back week.

Debra - you, Dan and I will all be racing that weekend.  Six more weeks and then taper!! I am running out of time. I'm taking off from work part of this week and all of next week, if I can, to train right, rest and relax.

Marie - I am a BIG fan of Emergen-C Raspberry. Love the fizz and it has lots of good things!! You are stronger than I. i've been trying to take that first step and get rid of sugar but am not getting it done.

The HM was good and bad. Making a long story short, I took a wrong turn at 9m and ended up running the 15k course++ instead. By the time I'd realized the mistake I just couldn't wrap my mind around turning around and picking up the four extra miles. It was really cold and wet!! I had a good pace going and could have PR'd but not after that so I just called it a day and went home and did a bunch of work before falling out. Woke today feeling awful and hoping this will be the race that keeps me going next time I get weak torward the end. Ironically, I did something similar last year during the season's second race and for the same reason, the weather. If it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have pushed through the Pig HM because it felt like it would never end. So, that's how I learn? Well take it from me, DNFs do not feel good!

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

justrundan

AZ2MN-  Bemidji- makes me cold just thinking about it.  Wind chills below zero tonight, 20-25 mph winds, but I know it's worse up there.  Hang in there and stay safe and warm!!

Deb- Yes, I remember March 2012!  That's why it seems soooooo long to get outside running this year; it came so early last year.  It's really miserable out tonight with the wind.  DW and I plan to drive up to Sturgeon Bay Friday night, stay over there and head up to the park Saturday morning.  Will just have to decide where to catch the shuttle.  Are you planning on using a pace group?  I'm not sure how to manage the race yet.   We'll head back to DS&DIL in Kaukauna later on Saturday.  Hope we can meet you and family on the 4th.  Keep enjoying that indoor track- I'm envious!

4 more on TM this morning, probably similar tomorrow.  I'd plan my long run for Friday during the Badger's opening round game, but I don't need 2 things to send my HR through the roof. Smile

Have a great week everyone!  Run strong.

Dan