50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 04/14/2013 (Read 14 times)

adkkev

Nice runs for everyone today!!

6+ soggy miles earlier this evening on the rail trail ... chilly enough to see your breath.

Chantilly75

rmcj001 nice paces for your run

NH Runner  12 miles is a good distance

adkkev  still no spring?

I did some doubles, because I have Mon. Sat. Sun. off this week and was trying to make up the difference. I have a local marathon in about a month, which I am not ready for, but signed up anyways just for fun. ( walking breaks will be involved)

6 miles plus weight machines.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday

4/12/2013

20 minutes on the treadmil today, just a quick recovery run.  I got a little carried away the last few days in my come-back and my legs need a break.

Chantilly, good luck in your marathon.  I swore 'em off this year, but if I have a good summer I may jump in and run one in the Fall.

Art in AZ

A comfortable 5 mile run this morning. Nice running weather and quiet.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Chantilly ... we had a taste of spring for a few days & then POOF! it was gone.  Meh, it's April, so you have to expect it.

7 damp & cool miles around town this evening ... 2000' elly gain/loss.

rmcj001

8 easy miles today, nearly 80F very sluggish after yesterday.

Chantilly, Rich, Art, adkkev - good runs all!

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday

4/13/2013

5 miles today running the breakdown lane on the highway.   The hardest things for me to get engrained into my thick skull is to run relaxed and to drive with my core.  I managed to get into a good rythmn today and do both and it showed, splits were 9:03, 8:35, 8:35, 8:32 and 8:35.   Now if I can just do something about this thick skull... Roll eyes

adkkev.... you run some crazy hills, but they're worth it, nothing makes your legs burn like a good hill...lol

Good runs everyone...

justrundan

Snow on the grass when I woke this morning!  Did 4.4 on TM to warm up, then headed out to finish 13.1, my longest run before Door County Half Marathon on 5/4.  I checked the temp, but not the wind before leaving.  After a mile or so called DW to bring my windbreaker and balaclava, then was fine the rest of the way.  Tried a new road to add mileage and found some nice hills to work into the routine.  Added a little too much mileage so ended up doing 14.4 over all. As I was finishing snow flakes were starting to come down, felt colder than when I left!  My race is north of where I live in WI, so I'm REALLY hoping for a warm up by early May.

Dan

Rse

Do you have room for another?

:-)

Fran

Rse

4-13 Long Run day for me  :35 minutes

4-14 Walk-only   :10 minutes

Fran

justrundan

Do you have room for another?

Fran50- You betch we've got room!  Welcome.  Good to hear your back at it and making progress.  The "Hi!" thread is also a good place for over 50 support.   What part of the country to you live in?

Dan

rmcj001

Fran - Welcome, there's always room.

Dan - Nice long run there!

Sunday, Artichoke Half  Marathon  - 13.4 miles in 1:51:34 by my watch.  Results won't be out til Tuesday - very low tech.  43+ miles this week, first time over 40!  Race report will be in "Hi" thread and gotta get to those taxes Sad

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday

3/14/2013

4 miles on the railtrail for me today.  We got a couple inches of snow the other day and it's melted, but the result was mud on the railtrail today.  I tiptoed along and had a reasonably good run, splits were 9:59, 9:31, 9:50 and 9:25.    Gives me 38 miles/week

Nice run Dan

Welcome aboard Fran

Ray, that's a solid race so soon after your injury, good for you!   Nice weekly mileage too!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

A very rough week for mr. Tuesday I did a 6.19  mile run. Wednesday I ran 6 miles. It was raining heavy so I wore what looks like a waterproof light nylon hoodie over a long sleeve cotton tee and a pair of sweatpants to keep me warm. Big mistake, the nylon was not very waterproof and soaked through in just a few minutes and I was soaked. The cotton sweatpants got heavy when wet. Luckly the rain stopped after the first mile. But the wet shirt rubbed against me and I had bloody nipples which left two red dots on my shirt. Should have learned from past experiences that if I am going to get a wet shirt to put bandaids on my nips to protect them. Thurday I ran again, 4.15 miles. There had been a bit of freezing rain earlier and there was some pretty ice on the trees. Friday, my plan was to do a 13 mile run followed by a 4 mile run Saturday or Sunday. This would have given me a nice workout of a 40 mile week. However, I had to go into Rochester and got back too late on Friday. I modified my plan to do the long run on Monday, when I was to be on vacation. Saturday I was tired and just rested. Sunday, after work I went for a 3.87 mile run. Lovely day, 53 degrees. Like all the runs from my house it started in the village running on sidewalks. Half a mile into the run my foot caught on a crack and I went forward. Usually I am able to catch myself in a stumble, but this happened so fast. My hands went out to break the fall, but I had so much forward momentum that my legs flew up and my mouth hit the pavement.Sad I picked myself up. My hands felt numb from the fall. My lip was bleeding and a front tooth was chipped. Note that this tooth had been broken before on a previous mishap when I slipped trying to move a rock in my backyard and was repaired by the dentist with some type of ceramic material. Like a true running nut I finished my run, it helped me to calm down and I had a fairly fast pace for me of 10:57. My girlfriend insisted I go to emergancy where they put some tiny stiches into my lip and took xrays of my wrists, which were hurting me by this time. Since then I have seen the dentist, who will fix my tooth in a few weeks, and an orthopaedic doctor, who said I had bilateral wrist strain and gave me wrist braces to wear for the next two week. Fortunately, he said that my scaploid bones (small bones in the hand) were not fractured, which was the concern of my primary doctor. Anyway, the reasonable thing for me is not to risk injuring my wrists again so soon and stop running until I am better. I was making good progress and hate to lose any of my fitness level by inactivity, but what can I do. I will still be able to go on walks and will just have to get back into my runs when I can and start again from whatever level I am at.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                              Get up, get out, get out of the door!