50 and over 5k and beyond

December Runs and Workouts (Read 17 times)

Hi everyone.  Lost post yesterday!!    Sorry for the delayed RR. Lack of access to internet while on trip.  Returned to MN yesterday (TH).  Tues (12-9) was rest day, flight to San Antonio, TX. WED: steady 7.1 miles.  62-72 degrees and humidity will become the norm for the days I'm in TX. THURS: rest day.  FRI: easy 3.5 miles.  SAT morning: my friend, her 80 yr old mom and I drove 4 hrs to McAllen, TX (near border).  Drove directly to 'mini' EXPO to pick up bib. Stayed in hotel about 10 miles from race.  Predicted temp: 76-82 degrees!! Mostly sunny! Wind gusts 12-25 mph.  2% chance of rain.  SUNDAY, RACE MORNING:  5:45 am, friend drove me to race while I ate Nutella on toast, some coffee and water.  This is the first race she (and her mom) ever attended.  Many runners wore holiday caps and even the Grinch showed up for encouragement, LOL!!   I felt good and rested although been fighting a slight sore throat and cold sore in right nostril while in MN.  Typical when exposed to extreme weather conditions: the cold wind in MN and the blazing sun of TX.  By 6:30 am, it's 68 degrees and rising!!  All the HM, FM and first leg marathon relay runners start together at same place at 7 am.  Announcer says there are over 1800 runners from many states and countries.  I'm just hoping it stays cloudy. It's breezy when race begins.  I ate 1/2 of Hammer gel at start time. I reminded myself to start slow. I remember Mile 1 read 10:01.  I decided to take 30 sec walk break after every mile, I know it's gonna get frigging HOT and HUMID.    I'm following my 'typical' long run routine.  At Mile 2, I realized I forgot to wear my right knee support!!  Really?!? Oh well. So far, it feels ok. I had other 1/2 of Hammer gel at Mile 6.  At Mile 8, I ate 1/4 of energy bar.  At 9.5 miles, HM runners turn right while FM and relay runners continue on.  I'm feeling good even though the humidity is slowing increasing as the sun teases us by peeking through the fading clouds. I'm drenched.  I'm eating 1/4 of banana at each aid station that had them (which I think really helped me in the end, body needed the potassium to help balance salt intake).  Ate another 1/2 of Hammer gel at Mile 10. Had some salt at Mile 13.  I was surprised how many relay runner we (FM runners) were passing. The most distance a relay runner covered was 5.5 miles!! A few shouldn't have been running, they looked/sounded exhausted!!  I kept hydrated with sipping my Hammer Heed and water at aid stations interchangeably.  I reach Mile 15.5 about 2 hrs, 30 mins and friend is there to check on me.  I'm HOT but feel ok. It got more HOT within seconds once the clouds dissipated and the sun begins to glare down on us!!    Ate another 1/4 of energy bar.  Ran out of Hammer Heed at Mile 16.  Forgot to pack extra!!  Took more salt.  The WIND got worse!! Nonetheless, at Mile 18, I was under 3 hrs and felt that I could actually finish under 4:10.  Then my garmin quits on me and switches to clock at Mile 19!! Are you kidding me?!?   I charged the damn thing all night!!  I know I had pace times between 9:45-8:30 min/mile after the first mile. Now I'm relying on my watch time.  After Mile 19, I poured cups of water over my head to help my body cool itself.  Should have done that sooner and wished it was colder.  I'm beginning to feel nauseated.  The heat/humidity are getting worse.  I didn't want any more get or energy bar.  I took some salt when I felt some cramping of right hamstring that forced me to walk 2 minutes twice.  My breathing is getting more difficult and rapid due to rising humidity/heat.  I told my friend to meet me at Mile 19 to give her my hydration belt, don't see her.  Called her on walk break to meet me at Mile 20.  The wind is annoying.  Stomach is queasy.  I was trying to think of the symptoms of heat exhaustion (not as serious) but can turn into heat stroke (serious).  I slowed down.  I re-adjusted my mental state and knew that 4:10 was out and I would be lucky to make it to 4:30 but I was going to finish UNDER 5:00 hrs.  I allowed my mind and body to accept the disappointment.  It was more critical to re-direct my focus on staying upright.  At Mile 20, my stomach feels queasier so I sipped some water.  My friend is no where in sight.  After Mile 21, road is blocked off.  I had told friend to meet me at the turn at Mile 24 if we lose touch along the way.  I remember a volunteer yelling "just 5 more miles!"  I had 1/4 of banana.  Maybe I need more than water and salt so I drank a cup of watered down warm green Gatorade.  It tasted awful!! I sipped water to rinse out the horrible taste.  I made it to 22.5 miles, and my stomach couldn't hold it anymore.  I ran to the side and threw up green Gatorade!! Yuck!!  Rinsed out residue and poured water over my head.  Somehow I made it to Mile 23, and threw up again!! More green Gatorade!   Rinsed out mouth again.  Cramping of hamstring forced me to walk for 2 mins which allowed me to think too much.   We turned and now we are running into headwind again!! OMG!! But I felt so much better.   Finally saw friend at Mile 24, gave hydration belt to her.  I sipped water to avoid dry mouth and poured all of water I had over my head.  I told myself "only 2.2 miles" and "just get it done!" I imagined each of you at the finish line!!  Tough headwind but I kept telling myself "don't stop, finish strong!"  I could hear the crowd and announcer as I made the last turn.  My friend and her mom were cheering me on!! I MADE IT!! Time was about 4:43. Worst. FM. Finish. Time. Ever.  Bummer!  But I finished .....upright. YAY!!   Walked and listened to others who were disappointed as well with their time.  Damn heat, humidity and wind!!   Sat on grass, crunching on ice chips and drank chocolate almond milk slowly.  We ate lunch, 'real food.'  I slept most of the way back to San Antonio, stopping only to stretch and hydrate. Stomach remained queasy from Sun (post race) till Wed.  I ate very little but often and hydrated with electrolytes, ice water and ginger tea.  The weird but amazing outcome was I didn't and have not experienced any muscle soreness or tightness. Knee is fine. WOW!! Garmin didn't record any pace/time/distance!! Ugh!! I wondered what I could have done differently after Mile 19.  I know it could have been worse. I didn't reach my goal but DH agreed that my experience forced me to listen to my body and make modifications.  He wished he was there, so did I.  But he knew I wasn't going to give up.  From Mile 20 to Mile 24, runners were absolutely great on encouraging each other.  I had to 'just finish.'  This was the first time I puked during a race.  The runners who saw me puked were shocked I finished before they did.  Me too!! LOL!! But it wasn't pretty or fast, haha!!  Sometimes one can't control the elements of Mother Nature.  I know (it's confirmed, haha) that heat and humidity are my worst enemies. But one can make smarter decisions on WHERE to run a FM.  Lesson learned:  don't ever run in south TX, not even in the middle of December!! LOL!! 

rmcj001

Az - Wow!  Sounds like a sub-optimal day/race!  But, you persevered and finished!  I'm not sure what I would do if I got sick...Kudos for getting it done.  It sounds like you did the right things at the appropriate times, I know DW and DS1 are fans of dumping water on themselves in warmer weather and I know they start early with that routine.  I think the hardest thing to do is to run in conditions that you aren't prepared for. I found this site to help with picking marathons to run.  We've challenged DS1 to BQ and his first attempt will be at Modesto marathon at end of March.  Looks like a flat fast course.  I think you might like Tuscon Marathon, but that's in the fall.

Sluggo - First 5K in a year!  Awesome!  Gotta feel good!  On TM running, as a percentage of my runs it is pretty low and I find anything over 3 miles a real chore.  But, it helps having a TV and a large selection of material to watch   Almost tolerable at that point...

WDRich - I guess the storms moving through this week will miss you, that's too bad.  Good to see you're keeping up your training.  What's your next race?  When? (January?)

NHRich - Yes, wonder a bit what happened to Dark Horse.  Thanks! Amazing what you can do when you stay healthy and can put in the time.  Looks like things are coming around for you, I know sometimes we're in too big of hurry to get where we want to be.  Your runs are looking more like your old self all the time!

Yesterday was a bit of respite between storms, but work got in the way   So, turned into a URD for running.  Core SPX in the evening, shoulders and arms are still sore.

10.5 miles today before the rain started again, just over 90 minutes.  Think they said we're at 200% of normal for rain to this date.  If the rest of winter is this wet - well it would be good.

Ray

NH Runner

Friday. 12/19... took yesterday off and ran 6 miles today in the wind and cold, splits were low 9:00's.

Ray... you're right about the role reversal, too bad ol' Dark Horse didn't stick around to see it all happen, eh? lol    By avoiding serious injury the last couple of years, you've transformed yourself into an excellent runner, your BQ says it all...

Sluggo... The latest weather forecast has us getting rain on Christmas eve.    Highly unusual for this time of year, but I'll take the warmth.    Congrats. on the 5K!

WDWRich... your training's going well lately, good luck with tomorrow's 8 miler.

az... awesome race report, but what horrible conditions on race day!    Don't beat yourself up over your time, you ran a gutsy race and finished.   It's amazing you didn't have any muscle soreness, but that's probably an indication of your fitness level.   At any rate, be proud az, you've got the heart of a lioness!

justrundan

AZ- Wow, that must have been tough.  You are one tough runner!    Great RR, I almost started feeling sick as you described it!  Gatorade tastes bad enough to drink, I cannot imagine it coming back up!     It's always tough to predict weather when you travel.  You did so well considering the heat and humidity.  You won't have to worry about that for the next few weeks!

Sluggo-  nice job on the 5K, keep at it!

Ray- way to squeeze in 10.5 before the rain.

NHRich- nice pace on that 6 miler.

day 21 of streak, ran 5.3 outside early this morning, decided 25 degrees with minimal wind was doable, and it was fine.  Hoping for long run tomorrow.

Dan

NH Runner

Saturday, 12/20... 7 mile road run today.   I wore the Altra Zero Drops I've been avoiding since I got hurt wearing them, but everything went fine.   Anyway, splits looked like this... 9:21, 8:52, 8:50, 8:39, 8:32, 8:31 and cooled the last mile in 9:59.

Dan... you're doing great with the Streak, nice 5.3  miler yesterday...

Ray... the Altras I wore today are a minimalist shoe, basically a Vibram 5 Finger without the fingers.   Would you describe your footstrike for me?   I land flat footed, but am wondering if a forefoot strike would be better with such a light shoe.    BTW, did you run your last marathon in Vibrams?

justrundan

Rich, those splits you keep putting out are great. You'll notice I don't publish mine! 

8.2 on the Riverwalk through town today.

Dan

Hi everyone!  No running at all all week!! Official FM time:  4:43:49.  Overall: 98 out of 241. Overall female:  28 out of 103.  Can't find where I place in AG.  Male winner:  2:40:45.  Female winner:  3:18:50.  So, taking that all in perspective, not too shabby despite puking during a race and taking more walk breaks than planned.    Might go for a short easy 4-6 miler today.  It's predicted to be 'warmer' (in 20s/30s) for a few days before another artic blast moves our way.  Now this is WINTER!!  (sorry warm weather friends).   Oh, I'll be complaining soon enough though, .  DH was wanting to shake off 'cabin fever' so we took a day trip to Duluth yesterday.  I was glad he changed his mind on driving to ND to visit family today.  I'm tired of traveling ........

Also, I wanted to share a sad event regarding the McAllen marathon:  "City commissioner Scott Crane dies after running in McAllen marathon.  Crane, 50, died unexpectedly Sunday of a heart attack after dropping out of the 2nd annual McAllen Marathon - a race that he helped launch last year ...."    He did train for the race.  Apparently running "23 miles last weekend" (week before race?!?).  He collapsed at home, rush to hospital where he died at 12:55 pm.  There was a memorial run to honor his civic work and community advocacy.  How tragic.  He was young, fit and healthy. http://www.themonitor.com/breaking/mcallen-city-commissioner-collapses-at-marathon-taken-to-local-hospital/article_b5346486-83bc-11e4-b055-bb4a1e1b59ff.html

Dan:  RE: gatorade.  I don't even drink the stuff so broke cardinal race rule ONE: don't try anything new   The heat and humidity certainly contributed to my body reacting terrible to the overload of sugar IMO.  I should have had extra Hammer Heed which I was use to during training.  Yeah, it was gutsy and I'm glad it had a positive outcome.

I talked with some of my trail running friends in AZ/NM/CO and here. They all said 1) "ugh, road race!!" 2) "bad races happen" 3) "there will be other races to make up for it."  4)  "You probably got sick from boredom running on the flat paved road" LOL!!  What incredible friends!!  They were calling me instead of texting. They know I don't care/like to text.   DH: "You know your body hates heat/humidity but I know you will overcome."  My ultrarunner trail running buddy here shared her own 'bad race" again from this summer. After running the 50k and finishing 2nd overall in women, she ran a FM three months later and barely finished.  "My time, 4:41, was just shy of your time and you puked!" she says. So it happens (I know). I'm feeling back to normal.  Just can't believe I'm not sore at all. Been stretching each day.  I was also disappointed I couldn't celebrate with a glass of red wine after the race due to my upset stomach .......DH:  "you were sick!"  HAHA!!  Yep, it was THAT BAD!!    BUT finally had a glass of wine with dinner (without feeling I might throw up) when I got home from trip.  DH had a red rose for me!! I love this guy 

Friday. 12/19... took yesterday off and ran 6 miles today in the wind and cold, splits were low 9:00's.

az... awesome race report, but what horrible conditions on race day!    Don't beat yourself up over your time, you ran a gutsy race and finished.   It's amazing you didn't have any muscle soreness, but that's probably an indication of your fitness level.   At any rate, be proud az, you've got the heart of a lioness!

NH:  thanks!! I have to agree on my amazing recovery!!   Yeah, the disappointment was mostly felt, accepted and 'put away' for another time  when I knew I was not going to reach my goal .........but I'm okay.  I have run many races and there will be others.  You just try again.  I'm so impressed with your pace times!!  Not only patience but discipline.......keep it up!!

Only 3 miles around the neighborhood.  30 degrees. 14 mph wind.  Feels like 20.  Cloudy and light, sporadic snow.  NICE!!

NH Runner

Sunday, 12/21... I got up with sore feet this morning after yesterday's 7 miler run in 6 oz. minimalist shoes.    I seem to be landing on my heels to the point where the skimpy shoes aren't enough protection.   So... I ran on the treadmill in socks for a mile this evening trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and it looks like I'm lifting the front of my feet when I land...   I think the solution is to relax my ankles, but won't know for sure 'til I run again.   Always something...

Dan... thanks.   I think a runner who runs a 30 minute 5K is working just as hard as a runner who does it in half the time.   It's not so much about speed as it is getting in the miles, that's what's important.   So... don't fret about your pace, a guy in his 60's who can run a half marathon is an exceptional runner, period...

az... you've got it right, your FM was just 1 run, tomorrow's another day.  The good thing is how fit you are after all that hard training!    Too bad there isn't a half marathon close by where you could go kick some butt...lol    3 miles is a good distance so soon after your race, keep up the good work!

rmcj001

NHRich - foot strike for me is toes up as foot is pulled through and then at last moment, toes go down and initial strike is just behind the little toe on the outside of the show rolling to the big toe with heel just kissing the ground.  As my foot tires the jewel starts to make more contact. Running uphill, heel rarely even touches.  You got some nice runs in this weekend.  Be careful transitioning to minimalist shoes, it is really easy to over do it and set yourself back...

Az - not a bad idea to take some time off after the marathon. Given that you were a bit under the weather this is especially true. There are always more races.

Dan - really proud of you and your holiday streak!  Doesn't matter how fast you go, as long as you get there.

Dad is in hospital and things don't look good.  He is part of my inspiration for running, but as an example of what not to do.

DS1 and I did 13.1 this morning and then the long drive to join the vigil.

Ray

WDWRich

AZ - Tough race, but congrats on the fortitude to finish.  In those conditions, you shouldn't concern yourself with the pace/time.  Getting through it all and finishing upright is what you should be proud of.

Ray - My next race is the Resolution 15k on 10 January.  Skipped this one last year because I was still building back up after the Achilles injury, but ran it two years ago.  I like this one because the entire course is along Mission Bay and Fiesta Island and is very flat.

NH - Nice run on Saturday, and your splits are impressive.

Got 8 miles Saturday morning at a pace of 10min/mile.  Not very fast, but I felt comfortable the entire way.  Weather was fine, about 49 degrees at 6:30am and partly cloudy skies.  Only stopped/walked 2 times very briefly when waiting to cross major streets at traffic lights.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

NH Runner

Monday, 12/22... 5 mile road run today.   I hope everyone is ok with me putting splits in here, it's just my way of tracking progress... 9:22, 8:47, 8:39, 8:29 and 8:25.

Ray... thanks.    I think the railtrail is to blame for the weird foot strike I'm doing these days, it's packed gravel and there are stones everywhere.   Most are loose, but some are imbedded in the gravel and can cause a severe fall if a runner's not careful.    Raising the front of my foot helps to keep me from stubbing my toe or tripping and it's something I apparently started doing automatically, now I have to try to undo it..   I'll be thinking about you and your Dad, this stuff is never easy.

WDWRich... nice 8 miler!

justrundan

Ray- so sorry to hear about your Dad. It is good you and other family can be there with him!

Dan

Ray:  Very sorry to hear about your dad.  Difficult times are never easy.  He will be glad to have family near.  Peace and strength to you and your family.  Safe travels.