50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs and workouts week ending 3/3/2013 (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

Hah, we're heading for March, just what this old New Englander needs, spring and warmer air! lol

I got out for 5 miles today.  I'm still dealing with a little congestion, but wasn't coughing today so I'm making progress.  We've got nice weather forecast for tomorrow, so maybe I can get in another run before Wednesday's snowstorm arrives.

Altair5, that's quite a story about your grandfather, he was a talented runner.  It'd be awesome if you got into Boston and ran in his honor, maybe someday, eh?  Good luck with that...

Oldrunner, I read some of your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it.   You're obviously a very talented runner, your times are excellent.  One thing that strikes me is you don't overtrain.  That's one of my biggest mistakes, going too hard in training and coming up short on race day.   If you don't mind a couple more questions, I'm wondering what your weekly mileage is and what you run in for shoes.  I used to run in trainers but switched to racing flats a couple years ago.

rmcj001

Rich (NH) - Must have felt good.  Good luck with the weather.  You should come out to the west coast some time, SF usually has pretty good weather for running at some point during the day...

Rich (OR) - Sounds like a sound training plan.  Seems to be working well for you.  Do you track your HR during workouts?

Altair - Cool story about your Grandfather.

Chantilly - Hope that weekend of rest went wellWink

Rested this weekend (yard work - still managed 30K steps and 12 miles on fitbit).

4 miles in 35:20 today (9:36, 8:47, 8:29, 8:25) in warm 62F weather - just beautiful day to be out.  Probably went a little too fast.

Ray

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

I'll jump in a start posting on the run & wo thread. Saturday was my "long run" had planned to go for 10 and had talked my hubby to go to Cherokee Dam with me. He could walk while I ran. Well, the pedestrian area across the dam was closed (and likely will be all summer!grrrr) but there were still camping areas and a cross country/trail area that we could traverse. My gymboss has gone on the blink, so I couldn't do my planned 1:1, so was sort of winging my intervals. About 4 miles in, I saw a lady that I knew from a few yrs back, riding her bike and since she works for TVA, I knew she would know what was going on w/ the dam construction. We talked for a few minutes and by the time I circled back around and caught up w/ dh, I had in 7 miles. I decided to call it quits as I knew he was tired from his walk.  It was a pleasant and easy run in mild weather.

Today I went out for my usual "midweek run".  Again, since the gymboss is dead, I decided to wing it again. I started out running about a half mile and then take about a minute walk break. I just couldn't get into a comfortable flow and just felt really tired. Ended up doing 4.3 in 46:00. Slower than it should have been w/ the longer run intervals.

I think that my profile is set up to show my garmin downloads. I'm still learning about this community, and am liking all that I'm finding.

Altar, great story about your granddad.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Chantilly75

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions, but I have had arthritis for 30 years, and have tried "everything." Shy

One joint or another hurts most days, it comes and goes, no matter what I do or don't do.

Altair I got out the glucosamine again.  Nice story about your grandfather.

mcj001 I like the SF area.

NH Runner sounds like you are getting over the 'flu fairly quickly.

PaintnRun it must be scenic to run near the dam/too bad the path was closed.

7 miles on the track.  My friend ran with me today, and we complained about our joint problems....Wink

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Monday I did a short run of 2.28 miles. It was overcast and 38 degrees. Today, Tuesday, it is sunny and even warmer, about 42 degrees. This would have been a good day for a long run, but because I have things to do I went for a 3.66 mile run. The run consisted of doing a downhill stretch which was steep at times, this followed by a a short level run and then a series of uphill runs to get back to my start. THe uphill was tough and even though I took it easy I did stop about 3X to catch my breath.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/26/2013

7 miles on the highway today.   The first 6 were ok, but I stopped and coughed at the start of mile 7 and ended up walking / jogging the last mile.  Apparently the Influenza (flu) virus does damage to your lungs and makes it difficult for them to get rid of fluid.   I'm assuming this is all temporary, but it's a pain to deal with just the same.   Splits were 9:34, 9:25, 9:23, 9:20, 9:27, 9:44 and 11:48.

Chantilly, I could have used a friend to complain to today, but decided to tough it out alone.  I just hope the non-runners seeing me choke on the side of the road were impressed... Joking

Hi Marie, nice workout.

Altair, hills are your friend.  At least that's what I read...Roll eyes

Ray, I envy your good weather this time of year.  I actually enjoy the 4seasons, but of the 4, winter is my least favorite.  We'll have good weather in about a month, then I'll forget all about the cold until next fall...lol

Chantilly75

NH Runner I know about the coughing fit quite well.  It is just a spasm because the lungs were all filled up with phlegm/sticky when you had the 'flu.

Altair  hill running is important. wish I had some.

mcj001 jealous of the word "gardening." none here for another 2+ months.

9 miles. Changed shoes, so toe is up a bit, and not gripping the sole.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Altair - As my dad once told me, lean into the hill and take little steps.  I like to try (try doesn't mean I succeed) to pick up the pace a little on the uphills and breathe coming down.  They're work and hopefully by increasing turnover and shortening stride you can maintain a consistent pace.  On the bigger hills it's all about surviving until the top.  Going down is really fun and again all about turnover, but the strides are much longer - body takes a pounding tho.  Way to get the run in.

Rich (NH) - We're into the second month of 15% of normal rain fall and looking like it will be dry for another week.  On the news last night they were saying this is the driest Jan/Feb since 1852! But, everything is green and it's beautiful right now.  It doesn't get much better.  Minus the coughing fit, it must have felt pretty good to be out today.

Chantilly - Could have sworn I said yard work.  My wife does the gardening, I'm strictly mowing, digging holes where my wife wants to plant, transporting manure, removing volunteer trees (mostly non-native) and hacking hedges.  Grunt work.  But, at least it was outside in the sun and blue skies.  9 miles?  I can only dream about that right now.

Marie (PnR) - The dam area does sound nice, sorry it was closed.  Yes, like the garmin uploads - makes entering data soo much easier!

Was supposed to do a walk today, but weather, 66F and sunny, got the best of me and ended up running (sort of lots, of teeny tiny steps quickly) 2.5 of 6.5 miles today.  Was wearing my "real" shoes (nike frees).  Total time 1:16:30.

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 gardening/yard work...its all the same to me! Wink Its outside, in the dirt and sunshine! (tired of snow)

6 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Out here we have places like Filoli, and Gamble Gardens where they do gardening and wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about what I do Wink  Definitely like being outside.

6.5 miles of run/walk in 67:50.  68F and bright sun.  After mile 1, run .9 walk .1 more or less.

Ray

Chantilly75

7 miles.

rmcj001 sorry about missing the "r" in your name. Couldn't see it on my cell.

Sonata Arctica

old-runner

Oldrunner, I read some of your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it.   You're obviously a very talented runner, your times are excellent.  One thing that strikes me is you don't overtrain.  That's one of my biggest mistakes, going too hard in training and coming up short on race day.   If you don't mind a couple more questions, I'm wondering what your weekly mileage is and what you run in for shoes.  I used to run in trainers but switched to racing flats a couple years ago.

I try not to train too hard (haha... it ain't too hard -- I just run slow most of the time). I know some older runners who train hard and are fast but I think it's hard on their bodies and they end up getting injured. Most of the older people I know who run easy most of the time (turn it up for the races, of course) end up being injured less often, or so it seems to me.

I would like to run about 40 miles a week but I don't usually make it to 40 and end up somewhere around 35.

I'm like you on the shoes. I was wearing trainers for long runs and half marathons, but in June of last year I was in a half marathon and for the last few miles I felt like I couldn't pick my feet up. I switched to wearing racing flats for all of my races and most of my training runs. I still wear trainers some but only because I've got quite a few of them without a lot of miles on them. I think the couple ounces lighter (racers versus trainers) makes quite a bit of difference over a lot of miles. Having said that, some people need more support and would have a hard time wearing racing flats all the time.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Wednesday I did not run since I had to work a double shift from 2:30 Tuesday afternoon until 7 AM Wednesday morning, then I had to come in again at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon and work until 10:30 PM! Thank goodness Thursday and Friday are my days off. Slept in late this Thursday morning and did my long run in the afternoon. I did a 11.17 mile run down to the lake and back. The course starts with a long, but gradual climb for the first four miles, it then drops about 250 feet over the next two miles bringing me down to one of NY's Finger Lakes. I stopped for about 7 minutes and walked over to the lake shore. The lake is still covered with ice, but it looked partly melted. I continued my run along the lake road for a mile before making a left to go back to my start point. Now there is a steep climb for 3/4 of a mile back up the 250 feet. I did a slow shuffling jog, just barely putting one foot ahead of the other. I could have walked faster, but I thought it would be good strength training. I did have to stop a few times to rest. My legs were sore by the time I climbed that hill and I still had about three and a half miles to go. Now this was mostly a long downhill run, dropping about another 250 feet, but there were still 3 minor hills to run up along the way. I was glad when I got to the top of that last hill and it was all downhill for the last mile. It took me 2 hours 29 minutes, but that counts in the times I stopped to rest which probabaly totaled 10 minutes. The sky was overcast and it was about 36 degrees. I dressed in sweat pants, a short sleeve t with a long sleeve over that. I was warm, but my head felt chilly at times.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

rmcj001

Chantilly - think it's the phone, every thing looks right to me.

Rich (OR) - Racing flats are my heavy padded shoes - at least for races.  Have you tried Merrells or the New Balance Minimus?  My son likes those.  I'm thinking my next pair of footwear might be Xero Shoes huaraches - $25 and guaranteed for 5000 miles.

Altair - Sounds like a good workout.

Used two measuring devices today, phone with RunKeeper and Garmin watch.  Garmin clocked it a 6.59 and phone got 6.8 - so will say 6.7 miles in 1:07:30 mol.  First mile was mostly walking and took 14 minutes.  It was balmy 70F today and had sweat in my eyes by the end.  I am NOT looking forward to summer.

Ray

old-runner

Rich (OR) - Racing flats are my heavy padded shoes - at least for races.  Have you tried Merrells or the New Balance Minimus?  My son likes those.  I'm thinking my next pair of footwear might be Xero Shoes huaraches - $25 and guaranteed for 5000 miles.

I'm too tender-footed for that... I don't even walk around the house without shoes so I'd never make it in the really minimalist shoes. My lightest shoes (Mizuno Wave Universe) are heavyweights next to the ones you mentioned. I think the Wave Universe shoes weigh about 6 ounces. I tried them once in a race and it felt like I was wearing bedroom slippers so I never wore them again.

Those Xero Shoes look interesting. I watched the video on their website and will look for the Shark Tank that they were on. I'd never wear something like that but they look like a great compromise between barefoot running and minimalist shoes.