50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Lots of great trail races in WI.  Check out http://www.runningintheusa.com/, webmaster Mary  is an ultra runner, and she posts/reviews the latest and greatest trail runs on her site.  A little different terrain here in the upper Midwest,  but insects can be an annoyance in spring and summer.

Marie~Thinking of you as you navigate the waters with aging parents.((hugs))  It is not for the faint of heart.  My Dad is about to turn 90, Mom is 85 and live across the country from me.  Both are in good health for their age, but we are dealing with the dreaded "driving issue" right now.   Dad began driving a car when he was 11 years old, so he claims he's very experienced and careful.   Enjoy your 10 mile run with your daughter.  Running always helps me sort things out, or at least forget about them for a while.

Yesterday, sunshine and lovely winter day for a nice 3 miles.  It was great to get outside for a change.  I'm wondering if all the time at the track has been a blessing in disguise.  The weakness in my right tensor fascia lata and gluteus medius has not reared it's ugly head although my mileage/training days are increasing.  I'm always running counter-clockwise at the track, and perhaps this has helped to strengthen the right side?  I've also been religious with the PT stretches/exercises.   Tempo run of 6 miles scheduled today, looking forward to it!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

AZ.... My sincere condolences in the loss of your friend. You didn't mention her age, but all of us are getting older and we who have found the joy of running are so blessed that we can get out there and breathe the air, inhale the air, see the beauty, and appreciate the gift of health. I also sympathize with you re the migraine. I had one last week, first in several months, worst in several years. Mine was triggered (I'm fairly certain) by MSG in food eaten at a "country cookin'" restaurant. Who would have thought the cabbage would be a problem.

Thank you everyone for the kind and comforting words re:  neighbor friend who passed last Saturday from breast cancer.

She was only 59, turning 60 this Sunday (17th).  A coincidence that my HM will be on her birthday, thus a tribute to a beautiful and incredible person who gave more than she took.  Her husband and two adult children are doing ok; they said their farewells over the last few months. She will be missed.

AZ~Lots of great trail races in WI.  Check out http://www.runningintheusa.com/, webmaster Mary  is an ultra runner, and she posts/reviews the latest and greatest trail runs on her site.  A little different terrain here in the upper Midwest,  but insects can be an annoyance in spring and summer.

Yes, I check for upcoming races on that website plus active.com, and other running sites.

justrundan

Deb- I hear you on the parental driving dilemma!  My Mom was angry for some time when we had to put a stop to her driving.  I am also frequently asked by adult children, behind the scenes, to "talk to Dad about his driving at his next office visit"!  Roll eyes  Sometimes that goes well, but often it doesn't.

5 miles on TM this morning, hope to do 8 mile LSD tomorrow or Sunday.  Depends on  how long the "honey-do" list is tomorrow.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend!  And whether it's a good day or a bad day racing, enjoy it!!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Tomorrow looks like a good day to get outside, 30 degrees with a little southerly breeze.  Not bad for February!  Enjoy your 8 mile run. BTW-registered for DCHM this morning, Sven's Bluff, here we come!

Ran a little 2 miler yesterday on the parkway to shake the kinks out.  Tomorrow  morning running The Big Chill 10k -- race #5 of the 6 race winter series.  The plan is to run it as a training run, then tack on 4 miles to get my 10 miles in for the day.   Ran the same route for race #1 in November.  It's a double loop of the 5k route through a residential area.  Pretty flat and open.  Always a great group to run with and for a great cause.  DS1 running the 5k and wants to beat 20 minutes.  He's been stuck there for a while, but with consistent SW sessions he's hoping to smash it!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra-  did the 8 miler on the TM this morning.  I had no idea what a wasteland Saturday morning TV was!!  Eventually went with the ipod and my tunes.  Painfully slow, embarrassing time, but I'm trying to stick with the low heart rate thing.  In my plan I repeat the long run the next week and do it with 3-4 minute run/walk ratio, to try to see how it will go for the HM.  Not sure I can do the total running like you are.

I won't be able to do the 3/16 race due to time constraints that weekend.  Good luck tomorrow.  Glad you're doing DCHM!  We'll have to find a way to meet before or after.

With the 8 miles this morning I'm up to 50 for the month, so I should get over 90 by the end of February.  Good month, for me.

Run strong and safe friends!

Dan

Art in AZ

Debra - Hope your 10K went well.

Dan - Good job on the mileage. Yes TV can be boring most times with nothing desirable to watch. Like you there is always our music.

Did another 13 mile training run Saturday. Weather was nice and expect it to be like this in 2 weeks for the Phoenix HM. This was an easy run because after about a hour went by my legs felt fine. Today got exercise by working in the yard and garden. Cleaning out some of the fall/winter veggies and planted some for the spring. Living in Arizona does have some advantages.

Regular week of running scheduled for the week.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

Art~Hope the weather holds for your upcoming HM.  Great to hear about your gardening,  I'm a bit jealous!  Our growing season is short, but that doesn't prevent me from adding square footage to the plot every year.  DS1 is heading to Phoenix in March to catch some Brewers' spring training.  He's looking forward to running in warmer weather than we've been having, too.  And thanks, the race went very well.Smile

Dan~Nice work getting the 8 miler done -- the elapsed time doesn't matter.  What matters is building a strong base without injury, right?  A few friends who are TM runners watch DVDs of episodic series(Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, ect.) when they treadmill those long runs.  Although, if I was TM running watching last evening's Downton, I would have flown off the end!Cry

Great 10k run yesterday!  A chilling 3 degrees, F at race time, but  a clear, sunny sky with little to no wind.  Wore my new Nike Pro wind proof 3/4 zip that I purchased at last month expo run -- kept me warm, but not too warm. The out & back, double loop course was very open and flat, and the field of 275 runners jumped at the start 'cause it was a good day to PR.  Had to work VERY hard to hold back the first 3 miles, since the race was 6 miles of a 10 mile training run for the day.   I felt strong and wasn't huffin' & puffin', so pushed a little harder on the remaining 3.2 miles.  They had problems with the finish clock(the cold, maybe?) so I didn't see my finish time.  Garmin read 1:01:31.  Waited in line for the instant results from bib number reader and my final chip time was, 1:01:02.  Yea!  What could I've done if I really raced it?   Good enough for 2 in AG, obviously many runner's in my AG didn't turn out because of the cold!  Picked up my medal, bagel and water and headed back out on the course for a very slow 4 additional miles.  DS1 raced the 5k and was happy to beat 20 minutes!  Good day all around!

Have a wonderful week, and run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Art, Art, don't rub it in!  planting vegetables in February!  Smile  Good luck with the HM in 2 weeks.

Debra- Whoa, you did great in that 10K.  Amazing that you were "holding back"!  I'd like to get down near 60-61min some day, but I've got quite a ways to go!   Good prep for DCHM.  I like the idea of DVD for the long runs.  Never seen Downton Abbey, but saw several references on FB this morning, so I knew SOMETHING had happened!  We've got MASH and Hill Street Blues DVD's, going with the oldies!

Another 3.5 this morning on TM; visiting DS and DIL this weekend, so may have to try for a visitors pass at the gym she works out at!  Due for a harder 8 miles this Saturday.

Have a great week running, and keep warm!  (more snow/rain on the way  Sad)

Dan

dyykjt1

Congratulations Deb! Great time and placement in AG!! I would say you would have won your AG if you had been racing!!

I cannot imagine running in that cold of weather! I waited to do my 13 mile run yesterday until it warmed up to 41! LOL

Marie~ I hope you are recovering well from your Disney Challenge. Navigating the waters of aging parents can be tricky, aggravating and heart breaking all at the same time. Prayers are with you.

AZ ~ doing great as usual!

Hi Dan

I still do not know who alot of people are on this forum. Like I said, I have no idea where my forum name came from and I do not know how to change it! LOL

WDWRich

Great job Art, Dan and Debra!

I can't imagine running in the freezing temps I hear about from some of you on this board.  Did 10.4 miles Saturday morning with the temp at about 50 degrees here in San Diego.  Now less than three weeks away from the SD Half Marathon on March 10.  It will be my first HM- longest race to date was the 15k resolution Run in January.  Looking forward to the experience.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

WDWRich~All the best in running your first HM!  You are going to ROCK it in San Diego!  So excited for you, and the 15k is a great primer for an HM.  My favorite running weather is sunny and 50 degrees.  The Great Lakes can expect those temps in May, so until then.....we bundle up!

Kathy~Hey, girlfriend!   If you go into "Options",  then the "Account Info" blue box, I believe you can change your user name and other info there.

Dan~Enjoy your visit with DS & DIL, and hope you have 8 strong miles this weekend.

Ran 1.25  mile round trip to our local school to vote in the primary.  The poll workers know I always run to their polling place, but couldn't believe I did today.  9 degrees and 30 mph winds blowing snow.  Not sure I ever want to do that again.  Completed the rest of today's 6 mile run at the indoor track,  mmm-toasty!   Busy, busy work week ahead with manager in town,--meh!  Decided to treat myself with something from my local running store if I get all of this week's training runs in.

Be safe and run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

Debra - Is DS1 planning to run in a race or just run? There are a few on the West side of Phoenix, where the Brewers play in Maryvale. Otherwise, most are in what we call central or the East Valley. Being in Mesa I do most of my races on the East side.

Dan - Even planting in February, I still have to wait a while before I have something to eat. Then the summer comes and it gets too hot for most things. Even with shade cloth.

Rich - Good luck in the SD Half. I'll be doing a 15K that day. I like the food at the end. Pizza and beer. Truth be told the pizza isn't hot, I don't like cold pizza, and I'm more interested in water and chocolate milk at the end. So I take the can of Four Peaks beer home for later. But it's the thought that counts, right? This race has cash prizes so it brings out a lot of the fast runners.

Me - Got in 6 miles Monday and 5 miles today. Calling for rain and cold tomorrow which is fine since work has me someplace early in the morning. Trying to break in some new shoes as the current pair of Asics GT-2170 and Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 are getting worn. The new pair are GT-2170 also. Hey, they were are sale for a good price. Anyhow, they feel OK when running but somehow feel a little different than I remember. Will give them some more time and see how they feel.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

REst day today.  HOpefully the predicted snow storm for Thursday night/Friday morning won't change travel plans to Kaukauna for DW and I.  I may do my long run on Friday @ TM so I don't have to depend on health club in their area.

Kathy (runner59)- after you get the changes made remind me who you are/where you run.   Active.com was too long ago for this feeble memory! Embarrassed

Rich-good luck in San Diego!  I could sure go for some of that kind of weather right now!

Deb- that is real dedication to running and voting.  That wind chill was wicked yesterday!

Run strong and safe!

Dan

WDWRich

Hey Art- I'm with you on the shoes.  Last year I sprung for a pair of Asics Kayano 18's and found them to be the best running shoes I ever owned, so as soon as they went on sale a couple of weeks later I snapped up another pair.  Just put the new pair into service at the beginning of February and about the same time I found Kayano 19's on sale. So now I have my next pair in reserve and ready to go!

Keep on running everyone!

-Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54