50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

Ray - Nice race report.

AZ2MN - I saw your message and thought that if you did win the second thing you would be doing is planning a trip back to Arizona to visit family and be in warm weather.

Debra - Growing up in Northern Illinois and camping in and around Door County I remember how nice it was. Sounds like a fun race. And since it's a team effort you only have to run 10 miles. Plus with it being in October hopefully some of the fall color will still be showing.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Gito57:  we can only dream a 'dream vacation' so to run ....... but I keep telling DH that there are really cool trail races in New Zealand!!! "one of these days!"  The Fall 50 sounds exciting and lively event, wow!!  It's practically 'next door' but still quite a ways.  Ultramarathoners are in a league all to themselves, they are incredible .......... I can't imagine the TRAINING ...... everyday, all day, do they have a 'life?"  More power to them!! So who is on your TEAM, and bet you have a bada%$ team name, right??

Dan:  love the video, toooo funny!!  I sent it to my daughter who is probably not going to leave me alone with the grandbabies from now on, especially when I ride up on my HARLEY, Big grin.

Art:  yeah, you would look up the state on who had the lottery .......... party pooper!! Joking Big grin Nah, I would fly the 'family' somewhere I haven't been with mountains!! When is your next race? Do you go to car shows?

It was about 25 degrees, sunny with 8-10 mph wind and it felt cold against my face when running into the breeze, BRRR!! But the road makes a turn and so I kept the wind at my back as much as possible even if that meant running that same route which included the portion of the dirt road.  Still some muddy/slushy areas which works my quads but I made the 10 miles, 1:42!!! Got back to the house, put dog on leash and jog for another 1/2 mile, wind picked up so we headed back.  Settling in for the women's NCAA games!

WDWRich

Ray- Great 5k report.  I really liked the finish!

I've been away for a few days helping my daughter and her husband and family move/drive from Texas to California.  DW and I are very happy to now have them within driving distance.  Picked up running yesterday with a speed workout.  Ran 2.5 miles at a pace 15 sec faster than my normal race pace, then ran six 40 yard sprints resting 20 seconds or so between each one.  Finished off with 10 reps up/down a flight of stairs.

Cheers everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Art in AZ

AZ2MN - I looked up the lottery results to see if it could of been you that won. Though April Fool did come to mind also. My next race is a 5K April 27. The race is before a salsa and chips festival. One of the perks is free admission to the festival plus you can sample a lot of salsa. I like salsa with a mild kick to it. Some of the salsa I have tried is too spicy for my taste. Having the garden means I can experiment if I feel like it or when company is here. Right now I only look at the car shows. When I finish the current car then I will be showing in a few.

Rich - It's nice having family close by. 2.5 miles at 15 seconds faster than race pace. Pretty soon you will have a faster race pace. If you're helping move is like my helping move while you probably didn't get any running in I'm sure there were some leg exercises and core workouts going on.

5 mile run this morning.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

I pinned the "Hi!" thread to the top.  Should make things more consistent -- I think.  I can unpin it if people don't like it...

Dan - Loved the video, too funny!  Don't think it would work on my motorcycle tho, fiberglass faux gas tank (electric motorcycle...)

Az - Damn, you're a better person then I - way to rise above!  Your race, I don't get.  Mine, I understand a bit that she was startled and I think she went about expressing her anger at me in a positive manner - I can respect that.  Yours, just "Wow!"

Debra - Left leg is holding up, still not 100% and tweeked my right achilles on Sunday, but both are improving and won't slow me down too much.  Ice, ice and more ice.  So the relay sounds fun.  Is that 10 miles each?  5 * ~1.5 hours = ~7.5 hours?

Art - Nailed those April 1 jokes!  Nice run!

WDWRich -  Always good to have family close (I'm assuming they're in So. Cal.)  Drove DS2 to Atlanta for school last fall, house just isn't the same w/o him.

Did a mid-paced 4.6 miles today.  Started out slowly and as my achilles seemed ok, gradually stepped it up.  I passed a guy around 3.7 miles and ended up running an extra .5 miles when he stuck close.  Tried to make him work a little harder.  Lot of ice on both legs when I got back.  So far, so good.

Ray

Pretty breezy all day, sunny but cold even at 30 degrees.  Contemplated whether to run or not but I got my butt out there and ran 10.5 miles!! 1:50, last two miles against the wind which picked up and it was not nice but I made it!!  Kept telling myself, "it's gonna hurt more than this in the marathon so keep going!!"  After i got home, put dog on leash again, and jog for only 1/4 of a mile this time as it got more windy and dog didn't like it either Sad  Our weather is confusing here, is it Spring yet or is it still Winter?!? Predicted rain/snow/wind tomorrow and into Saturday, UGH!!! So I HAD to run today and glad I did.

Ray:  "expressing her anger in a positive manner" .......... sounds like an oxymoron to me and I don't think she was 'positive' at all but you must be a really nice guy Smile) Had to ice my knees in the snowbank in our front yard, haha!!

photo GOPR1948_zps0b697149.jpg

Photo enlarges when curser is on it (I think).  As you can see, still plenty of snow here, and lots of happy snowmobilers; you can see the tracks in the photo.

Crazy Diamond

AZ~I thought of Bob Seeger's "Against the Wind" as you were describing finishing the last 2 miles into the wind.  Keep it up, you are building so strong for your marathon!Big grin

Ray, Art~The 10 relay legs are between 3.1 and 7.7 miles in length and the team can split them up as desired.  For reference, the route begins at the tip of the Wisconsin thumb that sticks out into Lake Michigan and follows the highway along the Green Bay shoreline to Sturgeon Bay.  A couple weeks back, I ran a few laps at the indoor track with a gentleman(55-59 AG) who ran it last year as his first 50 miler.  He finished in 8+ hours and raved about the race.  Has anyone done a relay?   Perhaps running 2-a-day would be the best way to prepare for it?

Rich~Enjoy having your family close by.  Nice work out after returning home from all the "cross-training" of moving.Wink

Dan~LOL!  Sent the video to a engineer who recently retired from Harley--he loved it!

Step down week in training for me, but running has been a struggle all week.  Legs feel like lead and my breathing has been off.  The first 2.5 miles are just darn hard!  Weather has been okay, so I've run outdoors all week.  Developed a pain in my upper right rib area that has annoyed me all week.  Probably irritated a muscle moving stuff in the garage last weekend, so I'll have to have my young strapping sons turn over the garden this weekend!  Smile

If you're racing this weekend, RUN STRONG!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Debra- I hope the rib cage pain is just a strained muscle, and that it clears up quickly.  Strains/pains in that area are really bothersome as they seem to affect almost every movement.  A 50 miler?  Even as a relay that sounds overwhelming!  I think I'll stick with HMs.  Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Debra - Hope the sluggishness and paid subside. So glad to hear the weather's improving!! Consider joining "My Last Run Was" on this forum? There's a runner, NHLA, who is doing a relay in the N. Carolina mountains this fall, did it last year, and is a monster trainer.  Good to get more runs in outside but could you be having allergy probs? Easter services sounded inspirational.

Dan - speaking of relays, are you still interested in a team race? I may have missed or forgotten the post. I also am so tempted to run faster during LSDs. Thinking we may be eager to get back the speed we had to control during HR runs. My shorter runs haven't shown any improvement and actually were faster before HR training but my long run times will be better. That may have been the point, although I needed the aerobic capacity for everything. Are you seeing benefits? Great job with DW!!

Rich - Fantastic race report!! Loved your finish!! Congratulations on such a great comback race and awesome awesome time!! That will be a cherished memory!! Your report and Az's story started me thinking maybe I don't want to run faster if I'm going to have to deal with nastiness. I get enough at work. nah. Pity the fool.....

Rich - Nice to have family close!

Kathy -  Thank you so much for your advice!! I hear you about staying out too long. I had no point of reference. When I thought about it later all the things that could have gone bad flooded my brain. I definitely must remember to take ID and credit card/money next time.  I cannot imagine what the race will feel like. I so value your perspective!!!  Even if I were to ask folks here, none of them would have a clue since they all run twice as fast. All advice is welcome. I have one more very LSD and then start cutting back.  Have any race plans?? 

Az - Final four!! Good luck with that! 

Been off from work this week. Ahhhhhh. Spent two days putting together new tunes. Playlist was from this time last year so was using Spotify. It's not bad but I'm getting excited (in a good way) about race prep. You can tell race time is near when you......? Today the weather is beautiful and it's a rest day so if I ever get off this computer, will clean the car. Too many empty gel, almond milk and water bottles!!!! I have more running gear in my trunk than ER equipment. ha! priorities. 

Run strong and fierce!!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Forgot - The skin and nails on my hands have been looking awful and it sure as hell isn't from washing dishes. Doc says it's not B-12 but could be a protein deficiency. Has anyone had this problem?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

WDWRich

Mary Kay- Can't say that I've ever had issues with skin/nails on my fingers from running, but I'm a guy so what do I know?  Smile

I've lost a few toenails to runner's black nail syndrome though.  By the way, which of the two ladies in your profile photo is you?

So my daughter and family haven't even been in SoCal for a week yet and they headed off to Disneyland today.  If I didn't have to work today, I may have gone too!  I told her to get back on her training schedule soon or her old man is going to whip her in the Disneyland HM in September.

Have a great weekend!

Rich

Mary Kay- Can't say that I've ever had issues with skin/nails on my fingers from running, but I'm a guy so what do I know?  Smile

I've lost a few toenails to runner's black nail syndrome though.  By the way, which of the two ladies in your profile photo is you?

Which is me? Ahhahahaha !  Rich, I though men had skin on their hands?

Mary Kay

Art in AZ

Debra - Ahh! I understand the type of relay race now. I like them because of the varied distances and terrain. Though depending on the terrain it can be difficult running parts of them. And yes, running twice a day will help. If you know the distances of your parts, estimate the time between the runs and practice those distances separated by the appropriate time. The first couple of times might be rough but it will get easier. And that sounds like a pretty course.

AZ2MN - You know it's bad outside when even the dog doesn't want to be out there too long. We keep saying it but Spring will be there soon. Eventually we'll get it right. Just remember in about 3 weeks you'll be here in AZ enjoying family and nice weather. Though you may be complaining it's too hot because of the temp differences.

Mary Kay - I take ID when I do the longer runs. Just in case. I should also probably carry an ID every time I run. I'm not much help on the skin/nails either. When mine get looking bad I know what caused it. Working on the car with car chemicals and forgetting to wear gloves. I'm always on the lookout for new tunes to add to my playlist. I'll hear a song I like but I have no way of identifying the song. Good music makes running enjoyable.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Mary Kay- the relay I was considering for next spring is the Run Away to the Bay, 55 miles from Oshkosh to Green Bay.  It is the last weekend in April this year, 4/27.  This is only the second year, from what I read.  Several have shown an interest; when I find out about registration for next year I'll contact folks again and see if there is enough interest for a team.  It can be from 2-6 people on a team.  Here is the link:  http://runawaytothebay.com/

Ray- what kind of electric motorcycle do you have?  I've followed their development, find them interesting...

AZ- yeah, you have to be careful who you show that video to!  Smile   That company always has a few oddball ads in their catalog, for things that aren't really available, like this one.   Wow, your weather doesn't want to let up does it.  We have gotten rid of most snow here, finally.  When are you heading to SW?

Debra- hope your rib pain is very temporary and gone soon.  Hang in there.   Only 4 weeks to  DC HM! The relay this fall sounds like it would be beautiful!

Ran my LSD today since rain predicted for Saturday.  mid-40's but fairly windy.  Still felt great.  I'd hoped to put in 2.5 hours on my feet but got a late start and cut it short so DW and I could meet her Mom for dinner tonight.  Got in 10.25 miles in a few seconds over 2 hours.  Now I need to do some slow recovery on TM tomorrow to work the stiffness out.

Thanks again to all for your well wishes for DW recovery.  She got stitches out today and is able to go without crutches when she has her "Boot" on.  She can start to increase weight bearing, slowly.  I have to keep reminding her of that. Smile

Dan

Dan - Thx for the relay info. Sounds neat!  Great LSD!! You're sooo ready!  And 10.5 at 2 hr is plenty to prepare you for the finish. One thing, I wish I had morso family life to balance with running but I say that because I envy your ability and without thinking. If I did, it would be one more thing I'd be neglecting. So kudos to you for getting out!

Art in AZ - the music thing is a challenge. What do you prefer when running? DD started me off w a great pop playlist but after only three months I could not listen one more time! She ignored my request for another. Scott gave me two discs of mixed mellow rock (Radiohead, Zeppelin, Shinedown, FooFighters, etc). I can still listen to that but like it isn't there. It's great for passing the middle miles. My choices are more eclectic and hard to define. Just put some Gershwin and Dave Matthews but I love to have some manic music in there to get my body moving, too like Pink and Linkin Park. I am interested in what folks find works best for them.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay