50 and over 5k and beyond

on the recovery road (Read 12 times)

sluggo

John

Hello all,

I decided to start my own little thread so I could keep you (and me) posted. I am definitely in the 5K and not the "beyond" category.

Thank for your tips and encouragement. I appreciate the attention.

I do know about Jeff Galloway and I own his book. Reminding me about the walk and run routine is good.

Here is a little history. I have quite a few miles under my belt but the last few years have been gruesome. I was out for almost a year after minor surgery. I got back into the swing of things and then ran too far too soon and hurt my knee in Sept 2013. In the spring I was still being really careful just walking. It hurt. I have had some medical attention and I fully expect to be running well again.

I started the C25K routine in June - I am obviously taking the extended plan. Running 2+ miles is my current limit and I need at least a day to recover.

NEW STATUS.

I went out tonight. It was another rainy, cool, miserable day and I pushed myself out. I can't say that I enjoyed it. I did get in 2.25 mi, my knee felt OK, and I took 2 short walks when I felt a twinge.

So, good for me. I ran in the weather I hate the most. Next run will probably be Thu or Fri.

I intend to keep future postings much shorter.

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

NH Runner

Sluggo... good news on your knee, eh?    If you can get in 2 or 3 runs like that a week and slowly build from there, you'll be off and running.   (Pun intended)   Good luck!

sluggo

John

Nice news to report - I am feeling more optimistic. Yaaaa! A good mind set can't hurt.

I got to run 2 mi in some nice crisp weather yesterday. That always feels good.

During the run, I listened to an interesting podcast hypothesize that matter was instantly formed after the big bang when gas was in a supercooled state. Sort of like water instantly freezing when it is colder than 32 F, still liquid, and suddenly disturbed. A very cool thought.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sluggo

John

Hello all,

I am still plugging away. I feel good about logging 17 mi in Nov. Best I've done since Aug when a long hrs work project started. The project finished at midnight on Fri and I have time off after Xmas. I am expecting a good Dec.

Plan to replace my 84 mi shoes this week. I can see the outside has collapsed a bit. I bought the current before I got my new , fitted orthotics.

John

sluggo

John

Replaced my 95 mi Brooks Addrenaline's with Brooks Defyance. Marathon Sports convinced me that I should use neutral shoes b/c I am using orthotics. Makes sense, so I am giving it a try. In the past I have used noting but shoes with support.

I've put in a few runs with the new shoes, they feel ok. I find it hard to feel a difference between old shoes and new shoes.

I feel like my knee is a tiny, little, bit stronger. I am being better with the foam roller and icing.

Have a PT appointment on 12/26.

Fingers crossed!

John

sluggo

John

Well - good news.

For the first time since Nov 11, 2013 - I ran over 3 miles - in this case 5K!

AND

For the first time since Oct 17, 2013 - I ran with Thu night running club group!

I iced my knee a lot last night while eating pizza. I am sure it helped. I will foam roller today and maybe try running on Sat.

Still looking forward to my 12/26 PT appointment.

John

sluggo

John

Fall back & promise.

I tried to run last night, knee hurt after about 50 yds, and I stopped. Disappointing and fear that I would be sidelined again.

Went out first thing this AM and felt good! Ran most of the 2.5 mi with some walking when the knee said hello on a very small uphill. Still finished

I am on the threshold of exceeding Nov's miles and I am not that far from exceeded Aug. Am I really getting better?

John

sluggo

John

Well - happy news. I was able to run days in a row, Sun & Mon and feel OK. Still a little knee flare up but walking took care of that. I think the trick has been ice, ice, ice. I knew icing was helpful, I just did not want to do it b/c I always had something else to do right after the run.

I now have more miles in Dec than I did in Nov. I am even approaching mu biggest mile month since Aug. (If I count yesterdays walk, I am past Aug.)

I did notice some knee pain when walking uphill with a knee bend as I put my right foot down. I am starting to wonder if this is a bone spur issue.

John

NH Runner

Sluggo... it's odd the way your knee acts up one day and not the next.    At any rate, you're gaining!    Hopefully your PT will provide some answers so you can get this behind you.    Good luck and hang in there!

sluggo

John

Sluggo... it's odd the way your knee acts up one day and not the next.    At any rate, you're gaining!    Hopefully your PT will provide some answers so you can get this behind you.    Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks for the comment Rich. The way I look at the knee is that sometimes it has a good day and sometimes it does not. Nothing in life is really linear.

Dec is being good to me, up to 27 mi. I AM counting 5 walking miles - they are just slower than my already slow runs.

So far, I have 27 mi in for Dec, this week has been 5 running and 5 walking. Really, 27 is a milestone. It's the most mi since 41 in Oct 2013.

Had initial PT yesterday and picked up some good work outs / stretches that will be part of my life. I may have some trouble with health insurance - that is a surprise and I will see where it leads.

Oh well, stretch and clams, then stretch and clams, and maybe run, ice, stretch and clams - rinse and repeat.

My daughter, Katy, turned me on to a nice podcast, "Dan Carlin's Hard Core History." He only posts a few times a year but each one is an hr +.

Oh yeah, had a nice run at 07:30 today. Nice to be out early.

Huh - I sure have a lot to say today. Must be the time off work and end of holidays.

John

sluggo

John

I've been doing the PT exercises.

I joined the Y yesterday and did my 1st "once per week" swim. I don't enjoy swimming - I just want to increase my swimming confidence. Helping my running will be a nice by-product.

Today's run went well. I noticed my knee after about 0.75 mi mi, walked a bit, and felt fine the rest of the way.

I ran 32 miles in Dec, that is a big chunk of the 115 miles for all of 2014.

John