50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs and Workouts (Read 19 times)

Dan:  WTG on running in the cold temps!! Awesome 5k time too, anything under 30 min. for 5k is a celebration!! <<<high five>>>  There was a 5k turkey trot here this morning but I didn't run it.  Temps were cold but tolerable with the calm wind.  Hope you got a longer run in!

Sluggo:  keep the confidence up!! every mile counts especially running in the snow ........without the wind is even better!

NH:  you are doing super on those pace times, YAY!! "run to eat" is one of the reasons I'm out there!  Are u the chef of the household?

chantilly:  impressed that you don't need a 'goal' (a race) to keep piling on the mileage, love it!!

Fletch:  good to see you back! saw that you're on the list (with Dan) for the holiday streak.  I would love to do that but it's kinda hectic with my FM training but i'm gonna see how long I will keep it up anyway.  My Dec. 2013 miles was only 47.2 miles, it was a whopper of a winter and all my running was outside so had to sit out during the polar vortices.

Ray:  congrats on the place finish, great time!! And congrats to DS and DW too!  one week to go, how are you feeling?

So ran my last long run on Mon, 18.5 miles; rest Tues, 8.5 miles on Wed., rest Thurs and Fri. (snowed here), 10 easy peasy miles today (Sat.).  YAY!!   Feeling good, recovering very well.  Wanted to run more but have to remember I'm 'tapering.'  Bummer incident on Thurs while we were making our T-day meal.  I was slicing some sweet potatoes (big ones too) and just when I decided to get a sharper knife, I cut (side sliced actually) my left index finger, just below the fingernail!! OWIE!!!  Maybe it was good that I didn't have a sharper knife!! Such a dumb thing to do!!    Bleeding like crazy and DH bandaged it up but it still bleeds when I change the bandage each day.  I think I might have to get some stitches, DH doesn't think so but I don't think it's suppose to bleed that much  .......thought I might have trouble with it during my run today but it went fine. We are experiencing 'cabin fever' so taking a day trip to Duluth tomorrow.  DH changed his mind, it's too darn cold to go anywhere!!  Subzero temps and with windchill, it's minus 21 degrees right now (Sun. morning).    Stay warm everyone!

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/30... 7 mile road run today, helping breeze on the way out.   We hit 40 degrees today and I thought I'd better take advantage while I can...  9:25, 8:47, 8:25, 8:28, 8:33, 8:33 and cooled the last mile in 9:35.    Weekly mileage was 27 and 116 for the month.

az... I can't believe your weather!     And how well you've been able to train through it!   Hang in there and take care of that finger.   Wife and I share cooking duties, I tend to make things from scratch, her, not so much...

Fletch... the 3 wheeler's a lot of fun to ride.   I need to come up with a disguise so I can ride the thing in public, the snow's ruined the railtrail as my place to ride and be hidden...    Looks like you're getting in some miles, that's good!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Do you have some Yak Trax for the slippery conditions?  ..Goulash?  You really do need that white chef's jacket.

justrundan Congratulations on your fine Turkey trot result in the snow!

sluggo Hope your leg is feeling better.

az2mntrail Hope your finger is better! You will be glad to get away from these temps.  All the hay is in the barn for you, so to speak.

Fletch_NC  Nice run in the snow. You didn't go all Chevy Chase (Christmas Vacation) out there cutting your own tree, did you? 

Yesterday: work/rest day & shoveled snow with son.

Today: work/rest day plus walked 2 miles indoors.  Windchill -30F.

November mileage: 160.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

AZ- even on the taper you're getting good miles!  Be careful in that cold weather- it's coming in here tonight.

NHRich- excellent mileage!

Chantilly- Great November mileage!!  Whoot!   Minus 30 wind chill?!?

Signed up for the Holiday streak on this site, made it to day 3 before it was stopped!    Yesterday, instead of a long run, it was fartleks between the couch and the bathroom.  Yes, it was the dreaded 'trots'.  Turns out that 3 of the 22 folks we had here for Thanksgiving had been ill earlier in the week.  As of today about 1/2 of the remaining 19 are/were ill since then.

Feeling much better today, ran 5 miles outside before the arctic chill arrives.  Only 60 miles this month.

Dan

az... .......  I'm curious, will you ever train for another marathon this time of year?   You're doing great!!

NH:  totally spaced this out .........I would like to say "no" ........but I didn't think I would be up here in MN either   Not sure which is 'easier', training in the HOT AND HUMID of summer or in the midst of BITTER COLD artic blasts.  There are only 2 seasons up here as far as I'm concerned and each of them seem to last longer than I would like.  If anything, it keeps me from slacking off!