50 and over 5k and beyond

October Runs and Workouts (Read 28 times)

Chantilly75

NH Runner Does Sim like to jump in the leaves?

rmcj001 Hope you are enjoying the cooler temps and maybe get some moisture there this fall/winter.

az2mntrail Such a panic for you and then to find your items!  This shows how great of a shape you are in to be able to ride your bike like that. Hope the legs feel better soon!

justrundan  Yes, a TM at home would be better. Hope you have a good long run!

Yesterday: 5 miles after breakfast, 5 miles after lunch.

We actually run on the outside lanes of our track.  The turns are wider and we are a bit further away from the center area, which can have tennis balls/basketballs bounce out onto the track at times.

Today: work/rest

Previous post was lost.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

finally got back outside and did 5 easy miles this morning.  plann long run for tomorrow or Saturday, trying to get to 12 or 13 this weekend, Rails to Trails is 2 weeks from Sunday. 

AZ- that is quite the bike ride.  OUCH!  My seat wouldn't last that long!  A day or 2 of rest sounds like what the doctor ordered. 

Dan:  WILL DO, DOC!!    I promise!    'Resting' on such NICE days .......before the white, cold stuff appears .......seems like I'm 'goofing off' ....but I (and my quads) know I need recovery time.   Hope you got in some long runs for your upcoming HM!!  Oh......are you guys staying at hotel or driving from home for race event?  How far is the drive?  Hello to DW! Smile

az2mntrail Such a panic for you and then to find your items!  This shows how great of a shape you are in to be able to ride your bike like that. Hope the legs feel better soon!

justrundan  Yes, a TM at home would be better. Hope you have a good long run!

Yesterday: 5 miles after breakfast, 5 miles after lunch.

We actually run on the outside lanes of our track.  The turns are wider and we are a bit further away from the center area, which can have tennis balls/basketball balls bounce out onto the track at times.

Today: work/rest

Previous post was lost.

Chantilly:  UGH!! Losing post is aggravating!!   Good job on the double run days!!  I wish I was more consistent with those type of days.

Having a TM at home ......but will I use it?!?  Like I mentioned before, past injuries re-surface when I run on TM.  Just have to suck it up and run in the brutal frigid cold again this winter, BRRRR!!  Yeah, so be forewarned everyone .......when I complain of the frosty glacial temps, LOL!!

NH Runner

Friday, 10/17... 2 mile recovery run on the railtrail today.   Main goal was to run relaxed and I accomplished that, hoping for good things tomorrow if the rain cooperates...

Chantilly... no, Sim doesn't seem interested in playing in the leaves.   He will wrestle though, but I outweigh him by a lot so it's not a fair fight...   You've come back strong after your ultra and it says a lot about your fitness level, nice double yesterday!

Dan... good luck going long this weekend, you have to feel good coming into the home stretch before your half, you've had some good runs lately...

az... seems like just yesterday we were complaining about the cold, doesn't it?

rmcj001

Chantilly - Nice double!  We got a bit of rain earlier this week, some places a .5", but I didn't see much evidence where I was.  Another chance this weekend, crossing fingers and toes...

AZ - That was some bike ride.  Glad you got your valuables back, very fortuitous...

Dan - Hope you got the longer run in.  Sounds like the race should be fun - get that adrenaline pumping...

NHRich - Got a like it when you can sneak those runs in  between the storms - OR, enjoy running in the rain   Two of our 3 dogs like to wrestle - with each other, very amusing.

Thursday, 74F and kinda of overcast - started out slow and sort of kept speeding up.  Watch wasn't in normal mode, so didn't really know how fast I was going unless happened to be looking at it when I hit the mile splits.  Guess it worked and run ended up being 8.8 mile progressive with last .8 at 7:05 mpm and mile 7 & 8 at 7:22 total time 1:10:44.

Friday, 10/17, 77F and did a slightly longer run today.  Wasn't trying to go fast, but just a sort of faster easy pace 10.8 in 1:29:33.  Last 1/4 mile was trying to catch a runner before I finished, so sped up a bit to accomplish that.

Ray

justrundan

I got the long run in today; 13.75 easy (that is, slow) miles.  Chilly, windy the entire time, better than the hear!   After that didn't get much done around the yard!    Will try to loosen up with 4-5 tomorrow, then rest Sunday

AZ- DW & I plan to drive up to Norwalk morning of the race, it's about 90 minutes northwest of us.   The HM isn't until 9AM.   Did you register???

Ray- Mr Speedy as usual!

Chantilly- nice double!

That nice weather is supposed to be here tomorrow! 

Dan

NH Runner

Saturday, 10/18... 9 miles this morning, 1st with Sim to warm up, decent hill in mile 6... 12:59, 9:21, 9:16, 9:11, 9:09, 10:33, 8:45, 8:30 and 8:48.    Very happy with the run, tried to finish with progressively quicker miles, but ran out of gas.    You jinxed me Ray, I got rained on the last 4 miles...

Dan... I originally missed your post!   That's a great run without the wind, good for you!

rmcj001

Dan - That was a good run!

NHRich - I'll take full credit.  Pretty darn fast last 4 miles - given the weather.

9.2 this morning.  Don't know if I'll get my run in tomorrow...

Ray

I got the long run in today; 13.75 easy (that is, slow) miles.  Chilly, windy the entire time, better than the hear!   After that didn't get much done around the yard!    Will try to loosen up with 4-5 tomorrow, then rest Sunday

AZ- DW & I plan to drive up to Norwalk morning of the race, it's about 90 minutes northwest of us.   The HM isn't until 9AM.   Did you register???

Dan:  13.75 miles is still 13.75 miles, way to hang in there!  Yeah, sometimes "chilly, windy..... " isn't too bad.  Headwinds are tough and take a lot out of you, so like the 'doc' told me, rest and recover! Recovery runs do help.  No, didn't register; decided to save my $$ for trip to TX in Dec.

Trail running friend and I went for a great, easy 10.6 miles.  Windy here too but NICE 60 degrees, SUNNY .  We had company the whole time, a friendly dog who we met along the trail.  He stayed with us until towards the end when he left us for better company!  I had to take about 30 sec/1min walk breaks after mile 6, 8, and 9 .....due to some tightness and slight cramping on hamstrings.  Lots of post-run stretching and foam rolling.  Great run overall.  Question to you all:  With all the talk about Ebola and exposure on flights, should I even consider flying to TX in Dec. for my FM? Should I wait? I feel odds are low and I will by okay.

az - Glad your quads are loosening up! Great 10.6!! So nice to hear your ID was returned!! It's what I'd expect in MN, though. And, OH, IN, etc. What are you running in TX in December? Your Ebola chances are slight but it's so random; if you are going to worry, maybe driving is the answer. It's a nice straight shot south for you but a crap ton of miles! I've registered for the Austin Marathon in February and was also thinking of driving but just because I know there will be no direct flights (checked). Being south when it's cold up north isn't so bad, either.

Ray - great runs, as always!! Glad you're pleased with them, too! I'll bet you get a lot of wind! It's a rest day for me but I'm wearing my Giants' shirt anyway. Game 1, baby!! So I'll wear it again tomorrow.

NH - Nice consistent runs and times for you, also! You're picking up speed, even in the rain! Doesn't it feel great when you run farther AND faster?

Dan - 13.75 is a great long run and makes for a really nice weekly total, 32+!! Will you taper now or later? To say I'm or anybody is too old is just insulting. if i really was too old, he could have said, "if you continue, there's a high probability that you will impair the functioning of your ___ within ___ months.  You can read about it here...." When age is the best explanation a doctor can come up with for why a person shouldn't do something, I'm thinking he/she has nothing. Besides, they are talking to a woman who has been told all her life to stop because, "girls don't do that."

Chantilly - Nothing pushes my buttons more than a line of walkers crossing the paved part of a race course. I see them all the time because I'm doing intervals and, with my latest troubles, have fallen back to the social end of the races.  I remember being back there and can't fault them for having so much fun but I'm not giving up my zen so I just say, as loudly as I can, "On your left" and someone will move. And, after I've passed, I don't look back and say, "Namaste, bitches!" I may be mellowing - slowly.

I want to meet this man:

http://www.insidehalton.com/sports-story/4913143-oakville-77-year-old-hopes-to-complete-200th-marathon-sunday-in-toronto/

We will both be at Philadelphia for the marathon so I put the word out on Twitter and FB. Let's see how well that works. He doesn't run with music so I'm thinking he's got no social media accounts but might run with a group or a store that's online. I can dream.

So, rode my bike for the first time at home for 20 min. Wednesday. It drove DDg nuts; he spent 15 min biting the pedals getting kicked in the teeth and coming back for more, barking the whole time. Ugh!! Ran 5 mi, Thursday and Saturday at the gym. The weather's been great here but windy and on the verge of rain most of the time. I'm trying not to add physical stress to my health issues, at least for the next couple of weeks, so I wimped out. So Thur.'s run was 1 mi. ea and 4 mi at M pace (1:1 intervals 13:30/16:30) and Saturday's was straight jogging with 4 short walk breaks. Which went faster? Thurs. by 10 min. Which hurt more? Sat. by a mile! Maybe the drinking Friday had something to do with that, idk. Yesterday 9.43 flat slow miles along the river but I was able to keep up with intervals the entire distance, unlike last Sunday, when I started walking at 5 mi and stopped trying to run at 7 mi. Which was faster? Last Sunday. Ridiculous! The details don't really matter that much to me since they are abysmal; I'm just tracking and watching closely for trends, positive or negative, to stay on top of med dosage. It appears I still might not be getting enough. Grrr. Goal is to regain my strength and stabilize with few or no symptoms. Next: philadelphia on 11/23. I really should drop down to a HM but....

Safe and fun runs to all!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Chantilly75

NH Runner We had a Lab when I was a kid, he liked to snuffle in the leaves and pounce. Nice paces there for 9 miles on Sat.

rmcj001 Good for motivation to play "catch-up" on unsuspecting runners.

justrundan Hope you had a good weekend.

az2mntrail Nice run for you with your trail buddy. Which Tx race, if I may ask? They have quite a few in Dec.

RE: airplanes: I think the risk of ebola is low, but risk of influenza is pretty likely. I think that is where I contracted the flu-like illness I had. But, we are considering Phoenix again over New Years, anyways.  (? maybe wear a mask on the plane?)

mKayc I hear you on being told years ago  "girls can't do that"  Grrrr!   And now it's "you're too old to do that."  Whatever...

Will it be very cold in Philadelphia in Nov? I hope you are getting your strength back.

7 miles after breakfast

5 miles after lunch.

Nice out. Sunny, 75F and winds at 15 mph.

2 hours of yard work--raking leaves, mowing, cleaning out flower beds. Petunias still blooming!

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly, I want some of that energy!! Nice doubles!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Chantilly75

mKayc I think we were posting at the same time, so I added something to my previous post.

Yes, I have lots of energy, but everything hurts.  arthritis. Icy/hot rub everywhere. Doctor gives me arthritis pills, but I worry about side effects, so don't take them often.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 10/19... 5 mile railtrail run, pace was low 9:00's...

Monday, 10/20... 1.5 mile walk / jog with Sim

Weather forecast is for rain starting tomorrow and ending Friday, so I may have to get re-introduce myself to the resident treadmill...

mKayc... lots of solid miles in your workouts, good for you!    And yes, it does feel good to be running more miles at a better pace.  There's still room for improvement, but I'm gaining...

Chantilly... thanks!   Dogs make great companions, don't they?   Sim has come out of his shell and turned into a wild and crazy guy lately, lots of fun.    Always impressed by your doubles and jealous of all the yard work you've done lately! 

And don't forget you two, the first woman just got promoted to 4 Star General in the Air Force the other day, how good is that?

az... unless Ebola in this country takes a turn for the worse, I'd fly.   Lots of news coverage, but there's still only been 3 cases in the U.S., not an epidemic by any means...

Sunday, 10/19... 5 mile railtrail run, pace was low 9:00's...

Monday, 10/20... 1.5 mile walk / jog with Sim

az... unless Ebola in this country takes a turn for the worse, I'd fly.   Lots of news coverage, but there's still only been 3 cases in the U.S., not an epidemic by any means...

NH:  Those are our thoughts as well.  We don't play into the 'sensationalism' of news coverage.  And we both have worked in the Public Health sector so have had some discussion with others, and majority of them feel the same way.  Thanks.  I'm always impressed by your pace times of sub and/or low 9:00's ......while in recovery, GOOD JOB!!

Chantilly:  I went to the U of TX and lived in San Antonio for almost 10 yrs.  And I have run many races there.  There is the SA RnR on 12/7 but I have run RnR in other cities and really don't care for them anymore.......mainly due to the crowd and traffic.  Anyway, as I am on a 'quest' to run races that I have not run in or an opportunity knocks......I am thinking of the McAllen marathon on 12/14.  Smaller event and haven't been there in quite a few years.