50 and over 5k and beyond

New over 50 runner, first 5k done, now what? (Read 21 times)

Fletch

In September, on a whim, I decided to enter the Reindeer Fun Run 5k in Aberdeen, NC.  It's local, for a good cause, and seemed like a fun event.  And I was looking for a way to get in a little better shape.  The problem was that the only running I had done in the last 30 years was if someone were chasing me.  So, as a 51 year old grandpa, I started training (after a little web-surfing for C25k plans).  Long story short, I loosely followed a plan to prepare, and ran the Reindeer Run 5k this past Saturday.  Finished in 31:39, with a 90 second walk break at about the 3.5k mark.

So here's where I am now...I enjoy running, but I'm not obsessed with it.  I have no desire, at this time, to step up to marathons or HM's.  Would possibly consider training for, and running in the 12k race on Reindeer Fun Run day, sometime in the future.  However, for now, I would like to keep running in 5k races, but I want to make sure I have realistic expectations.

There's a 5k scheduled for the last week of April, 2014, that I am considering entering. That gives me about 19 weeks.  I typically run 3 times per week, and don't do much on the off days in between.  Can someone recommend a training plan that would get my time somewhere in the 25-27 minute range for that April 5k (if that's even realistic)?  Should I do interval training?  How crucial is cross training on off days? If cross training is vital, can someone recommend a program (preferably to be done at home - if I have to go to the gym, I'm not likely to stick with it)?

Bottom line is, I'm enjoying running, and want to get better.  I'm glad I found this forum, and look forward to your advice, and to sharing my journey with you.

justrundan

Welcome Fletch_NC!  You've found a great group here.  There are certainly more experienced runners on this board, but I'll make some general recommendations.

Try to continue to gradually increase your weekly milage, SLOWLY.  Don't go too far too fast.  If possible add a 4th day of running. Most of the runs should be at a comfortable conversational pace.  If you have time on the weekend, try a longer run, again at a slow pace.  Increasing the mileage with slow runs allows your muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments to get stronger rather than get injured by the too far, too fast approach.  I would just do that until the end of January or February, then start an 8 or 12 week training plan for the 5K in late April.  Even in a training plan, there will still be 'conversational pace' runs.

You might look at the Jeff Galloway web site, lot of good information there, and training plans as well.

I've got a few years on you Fletch; turned 60 several months ago and ran a HM with my son on my birthday.  I like you, had done next to nothing to keep in shape for many years, about 40 in my case!   I've been running just a little less than 3 years and have made progress, though slower than I would like!  Joking  I think guys like us have a long way to go to get our bodies back in good aerobic shape, and it's sometimes a slow process.  Since you're almost 10 years younger, you'll probably progress more quickly than I have.  Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress!

Dan

NH Runner

Hey Fletch, welcome aboard.   One of the things you need to do to increase speed is described here...  http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-to-maximize-your-vo2max-training   I've done the workouts and they do work, but I never got into the longer stuff, just stayed with the shorter sprints and recovery times.

Dan's covered the basics, so no need to rehash those and I like the fact you're taking days off, they're important as well.  One other workout you could take a look at is a tempo run, they'll also help you get faster... http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/your-perfect-tempo?page=single

My suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with different workouts and what you're trying to accomplish when you run them.   Basically, you should be running a tempo run, some sort of speedwork and a long run fairly often, the long run being about 30% of your weekly mileage.    You do easy runs as well and everything is geared towards building fitness and speed in the weeks leading up to your race.  Ramp up slowly, pay attention to how you're feelng and you should be fine.

Lastly, these are the basics.   Like Dan said, Google 5K training programs to get an idea of how to put it all together and good luck!

Fletch

Hey, guys.  Thanks for the input.  Very helpful information.  I've done some surfing, and found/modified an 8 week program for sub 30 minute 5k.  I'm going to take your advice and increase my miles between now and the end of February, then start that program for the late April 5k.  I'll post my progress here.  Thanks, again.

Latent Runner

I'm going to be a little contrarian here, but hey, mixing the pot is a good thing in my opinion.  Smile

Were I in your shoes I would completely skip any kind of speed drill or tempo run and work exclusively on improving your distance.  Some folks will tell you it is necessary to run fast to race fast, but unless you're already fast enough to be knocking on the door of the elite runners in your age group, many folks, me included, will tell you fast training paces are more likely to get you hurt than to improve your finishing time.

My advice would be to gradually but continually improve your distance without increasing your pace.  As an example, if you've been running say 3 miles per workout and are feeling particularly frisky one day, push to 3.5 or 4 miles at your normal pace instead of running your regular 3 miles faster.

FWIW, I'm 5 years older than you and probably significantly heavier (for my height) than you, and yet by concentrating exclusively on distance, I've cut my 5K time from barely able to complete the distance to sub 23:00 this year alone.  My plan is to continue running Long Slow Distance (LSD) for 2014, and I'm hoping to break 21:00 sometime this summer (maybe even 20:00) without running a single speed drill.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
            NH Runner

Well Fletch, now you have more than one training approach to consider, but unless you've got a large amount of weight to lose, I doubt shipo's suggestion will get you the results you're after.

In following his posts on another running site, he's dropped 60 / 70+ pounds in the last year by running long and slow.   That's great for a guy who needs to lose the weight and quite an accomplishment, but more importantly, the real reason his race times have dropped.  Loosing that kind of weight will definitely make you faster, but I suspect once his weight levels off, so will his race times.

In his defense though, be careful with speedwork.  Make sure you're thoroughly warmed up before running anything fast...

And by all means stick around, everyone here is very supportive.

And good luck!

Latent Runner

Loosing that kind of weight will definitely make you faster, but I suspect once his weight levels off, so will his race times.

Hmmm, well, I've been hovering in the 190s since early September when I ran my fastest 5K of the year at about a 7:40 pace.  On Thanksgiving day I ran a 10K Turkey Trot in Detroit, on a very snowy and slippery course (which featured very slow winning times), and yet I finished with a 7:47 pace.  Looks like even though my weight has stabilized, my times are still getting faster.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13