50 and over 5k and beyond

September Runs & Workouts (Read 21 times)

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/30... 8 mile road run today.   I tried a fast finish the way Ray does, but only for the last mile and it wasn't that fast...  9:43, 9:33, 9:40, 9:35, 9:36, 9:36, 9:40 and 9:19.   It is progress though...

WDWRich... I missed your last post, nice run!    The local Thanksgiving day 5K is one of my favorite races, everybody shows up for it...

Chantilly75

WDWRich Thanks!  Good luck on your Thanksgiving race!

NH Runner  Thanks!  Running in socks=sore heels today.

Your 9 min. miles are doing well in my book! That last mile was close.

Do you still run in the sandel-type shoes?

Rest day again.  Raked leaves for over an hour.  Made butterscotch brownies…..but...

I need to make an apple pie…..

…and a pumpkin cake.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

WDRich - bet you can't wait for that 90F weather coming...I'm so ready for fall weather.  Nice mileage yesterday.

Chantilly - Mondays are food truck night at house and there is usually a woman who sells butterscotch brownies with salted caramel on top.  I usually get two to eat later.  Enjoy your off days - tho, I'm not sure all the raking counts as an off day, maybe cross training. Takes practice to run sans shoes - be careful.

NHRich - 9ers drive me crazy  Kaepernick is good for at least 1-2 delay penalties a game. Speeding up after 7 miles is tougher then it looks. On longer runs, 8-15 miles, doing the last mile or 2 has to be judged on effort as much as pace (especially true when you're finishing on a hill). You did great going faster that last mile.

8.5 miles yesterday in 75 minutes.  Today another 8.5, but in 71.5 minutes.  GPS watch ran out of battery at 52 minutes and just over 6 miles. Last 2.5 was about 19 minutes by wall clock time...

Ray

Fletch

Happy Wednesday! Thanks for all the encouraging words about the career change.  Ray, you mention courage...DW had a different word for it when I told her I would like to quit my job and go back to school.  She's supportive, but let's just say she'll be a little more comfortable when I actually start drawing a paycheck again. 

Dan - looked back at some earlier posts.  You're running well!  I probably missed it...when is your Rails to Trails race (HM, right?)?  And your trip to the apple orchard sounds like our Thanksgiving treks to the Christmas tree farms in the NC mountains.  Some of them have become so popular, it's almost impossible to get in!

Ray - Congrats to DS1 and SO on their tri.  Looks like you are running really well, too.

Chantilly - Nice race!  Congrats on the trophy and the impressive finish!  +1 on the brownies...and the apple pie...and the cake! DD1 is planning to have all of those, and more, at the wedding reception Sunday. Rustic reception in an old barn.  She went non-traditional...pound cake from a great little shop in Greensboro for her wedding cake, plus a big desert bar with cakes, pies, cookies...and whatever else makes it there!

WDWRich - Nice work.  I love to run early, before, and during the sunrise.  My favorite time of day.  Is your 10k on Thanksgiving day?  We have a local HM/10k/5k the weekend before, but nothing local on Thanksgiving Day. Sounds like fun.

NH Rich - Nice running - and riding.  You've made a great comeback while I've been away.  No lingering affects from the stress fracture?

Had a great run with the Freaky Fast group this morning.  I let them do their speed work, and I just plodded along at a steady 9:30 pace for 5 miles. Still sticking with the recovery plan...short, slow runs, with frequent rest days.

Happy Running!

WDWRich

Fletch - Yes, the 10k is actually on Thanksgiving morning.  DW is doing the associated 5k.  This race is special to us because it supports an ALS organization.  DW's brother died from ALS a few years ago.

Not looking forward to temps in the 90s for the next few days.  Will have to keep running at or before dawn for now.  One blessing is that the days are getting shorter, so the sun isn't up for as many hours and the nights are cooling to lower temps.

Number two son and family are coming in from Tennessee to stay for a week starting this Saturday  We're looking forward to seeing them and the three grandkids!  He and his wife both do occasional running events, so I may have some company on training runs next week.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

rmcj001

Just a reminder that it is now October (where did September go?) and you should be making new entries in "October Runs & Workouts"...

Ray