50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

ks1g

I've been away from the foum for a few weeks; my goal event is this coming Sunday (Reston Half-M) so we're in the pre-race taper now.  4 miles this morning (Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan) but I, ahem, pushed it on a 1 mile (Strava segment) with a hill (Mapmyrun segment) stretch to see how I'd do.  New PR for the hill segment (I have a ways to go before I get close to the fast folks on it, however), actually slower overall  - obviuosly needed to save some from the 1st 4 minutes (the hill) to spend on the rest of the segment where it flattens out and I should be FASTER.  I'll learn - have the same issue on the bike - when I go too hard on the climbs, I'm gassed at the top.  Remaining runs for this week will be shorter AND at an easier pace - need to save my race legs for the actual race.  Also skipping my weekly CompuTrainer session - don't want to rip my legs off one morning and race 13.1 miles the next morning.

Had my first 10 miler race a few weeks ago as a prep (a bit earlier than the Higdon plan has it but it worked for me).  Ran most of it with a friend, then picked up for the last 1.5 miles for a 1:38:28 overall!  Big grin  [reality - even though I out sprinted someone for 325th place, still way slower than the next faster guy in my age group.]  Ran my 1st 1/2-M distance (flatter terrain than the race will be and I stopped midway for a water & restroom break) a week later, actual in-motion time was about 2:15.  Gave myself a scare last week - feet & legs were going numb - had shoelaces too tight! Shocked  Last weekend's long run was MUCH better, took it easier, still did 10 miles in 1:48.  And this morning was fine.  So definitely getting there & stoked for Sunday's race.  Now if the weather will just cooperate and give us temps warmer than near-freezing at the start (my 5K and 10 Mile races) and lighter winds (the 10 Miler became breezy from the midpoint-on.)

Anyone else doing the Reston (Virginia) Runner's Half-M or full-M this Sunday?

Run strong, & safe, everyone!

"What does not kill me makes me stronger" (some dead philosopher)

"But you'd be surprised what you can live through!" (The Genie, Disney's Aladdin 2)

PR:  5K: 28:01 (2/10/13), 10K: 58:21 (6/2/13) ;10M: 1:38:28 (3/3/13) HM: 2:08;58 (3/24/13)

2013 Schedule

Run Your Heart Out 5K 2/10 (Reston, VA)

Reston 10 Miler 3/3

Runner's Half Marathon (Reston VA) 3/24

Herndon Festival 10K (6/2)

...next ???

March 16, 2012, 6 a.m. See the shorts?

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Dan - I envy all your advance planning. It's a great way to approach a race!

Ks1g - good luck on your race! Loosen those laces a bit!! stick w the taper. You'll be thankful on race day.

Took off from work today. It's sunny and work is starting to interfere w training. It's a Whole Health Day. I'll eat brunch, do some speed work at the track, do some cleaning at home, talk over problems with a wise friend, share some chicken, hummus and pita w new friends, and get to sleep. Yesssss! Hopefully this will be the last time today I think about how fast I am not going.

Run strong and happy!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

dyykjt1

Hello everyone! I have been away so long that I will never catch up so I am not going to try.

I will just say congratulations to all of you who have been running and racing and doing a smashing job of it!

Marie! So sorry to hear about your parents, but they are so lucky to have you to care for them. Congrats on kicking the sugar habit and getting your runs in. Thankfully, I have never been a big sugar eater, but I love salty and crunchy.

MaryK...be careful with training for the Marathon. 5+hours is along time to be out for a training run. You do not want an injury before you have a chance to run  your Marathon!

So sorry I have been away so long. I guess that I just have not settled in to the new forum. I had a fantastic time at the Disney Princess HM!! It was an awesome experience and I am so glad that I did it. I cannot say that I "ran" it even though I did run parts of it. LOL I was with two friends that were both sick with sinus and bronchitis and that wanted to get pictures made with EVERY character so we ended up walking most of the course, but that was okay as we had vowed to stay together no matter what the time was and we did!

My next HM will be on April 7th! This will be my 5th HM this year. I have been trainging well and I am enjoying the warm weather and being able to run outside in shorts and tank top! Spring has sprung! Smile

I ran 13 miles this past Saturday and then played 18 holes of golf. I ran 4 miles yesterday morning and 5 miles this morning. I will get in about 3 more miles after work today. I have been able to get back to my 30 miles a week base and I am working on getting my weekly mileage up to around 40 miles per week.

I am going to try to get back involved with the forum..if I can find the time! Smile

Runner 59 - great job staying together and enjoying the race! You are so ready for your HM!! It will be sweeeet! Could you remind me who you were on Active?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Art in AZ

Mary Kay - I thought you might be training for a full but wasn't positive. Bummer on getting lost during your half. Hard decision to decide what to do at that point. Good luck with the training for the full in May.

ks - good luck this weekend in running your half. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you will surprise yourself.

Mary Kay - Work getting in the way of training. Love it! I'm sure all of us have felt that way at times.

Runner 59 - Sounds like you had a great time at the Disney race. Sometimes it's more important to have fun then trying to beat the clock. My question is did you count your miles for the 18 rounds of golf in your daily total? Or would that be a recovery run?

Nothing new here. Still waffling on deciding to run another race soon or wait till fall. Usually do a couple of 5Ks during the off months here but they haven't posted them yet. For those that asked, the car I am restoring is a 74 Jensen Healey. Think old British sports car. Actually I have 3 of them. The one currently is a quick restore/refresh that should be ready in June. The other is going through a complete down to bare metal restore. It won't be ready for a while. Now you know where my discretionary funds and extra time go.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dyykjt1

Runner 59 - great job staying together and enjoying the race! You are so ready for your HM!! It will be sweeeet! Could you remind me who you were on Active?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay...it is me.....dyykjt1 (Kathy) on the old forum. I have no idea how I got runner59 when I signed up here.

Kathy (dyykjt1)

Art in AZ

The 13 miles was in the morning and then I played 18 holes of golf that afternoon. No the miles in the golf were not included in my daily miles. I do not include anything except runs in my daily mileage.

Morning my running friends.  Still under the weather with lingering dry hacking cough but no fever or body aches, feeling lethargic so have been working on the health rider and doing some yoga stretches.  It's been a whole week today since I last ran, beginning to feel anxious about my performance on May 4th marathon.  Was really feeling good about running 10-13 miles and increasing it but then another snowstorm after another ......... well, you get the point.  Attached photos reflects the difference between a sunny day and a depressingly dreary day but still cold, BRRR!  Snowpacked road works the quads and ankles though so they don't slack off for my upcoming trail training runs once back in AZ.  It was about 2 BELOW yesterday morning, and 'warmed' up to 10 degrees, yeah, pretty bummed even tho' I couldn't run anyway.  Just checking in to whine, Joking.

ks1g:  good to have you back! You were missed, and I wondered how you were doing.  Great times on your recent races, love those 10 milers!!  Good Luck in VA!!

Kathy:  Hello stranger!!  so good to hear from you and doing well.  Best of luck on April 7th, I know you'll be finishing strong!!

Art:  We love classic cars and car shows.  DH is a total gearhead which is awesome as he appreciates my love to go on bike rides on my Harley (he has one too).  He has a '55 T-bird, and remodeling a '57 Buick, races a dirt car, use to race snowmobiles, and just started racing (in MN) a Mitsubishi talon on frozen lakes (ice racing).  I know, INSANE!!! This is the same guy who had a heart attack in Jan. and has had 5 stents put in now!!  Certainly lives life to the max, I love it!!! And, yeah, $$ .......... but so is running (in a way), re: registration fees, travel, etc... Our individual passion makes for a collective support and celebration for the activity each of us benefit from in all aspects.

A sunny day photo GOPR1897_zps25ef2053.jpg                A dreary cloudy day, BRRR!! photo GOPR1765_zps89fad36d.jpg

justrundan

Morning!  more treadmiles today as wind chill is sub-zero again.  Did hill work out, 4.5 miles total, split between 3% & 5% hills, with warm up/cool down.  Felt good but I'd rather be trying local hills for real!

az2mn- hope you kick that cold/bronchitis soon and can get back at it.  Will you be back in AZ hitting the trails soon?

Art- cool about rebuilding the old car.  Something to take your mind off running!  Smile

Run safe, strong & warm friends.

Dan

WDWRich

Dan- It's a bummer being forced onto the TM because of the weather.  Hope it warms up soon.

KS- Good luck in the HM.  Be sure to post a race report and let us know how it went.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Morning!  more treadmiles today as wind chill is sub-zero again.  Did hill work out, 4.5 miles total, split between 3% & 5% hills, with warm up/cool down.  Felt good but I'd rather be trying local hills for real!

az2mn- hope you kick that cold/bronchitis soon and can get back at it.  Will you be back in AZ hitting the trails soon?

Dan:  I am serioiusly thinking of getting a TM for next winter ........... we seem to be getting similar temps between storms, bitterly cold during those sub-zero temps, I know but I am less depressed when it's sunny as it keeps my spirits up especially when I feel miserable as I have been for a whole week due to this chest cold.  Yeah, can't wait to get back to my mtn trail running in northern AZ and down in PHX desert mts.  I registered for a 10k night time race in Tempe on April 13th!! Never ran this event before and thought it would be fun and treat it as a training run (road course), and for my granddaughters (2 yrs old will probably enjoy it more than the 3 mos old) to take their tired, worn out parents to and cheer on grandma (just turned 53) who can run 6.1 miles, in the 'dark', haha!!  Oh, I celebrate my birthday (4th) the whole month of March.  Love my birthdays!! Big grin  Thank you, mom and dad Smile.

Check out the event:  http://fireflyrun.com/locations/phoenix/

Az - That looks like so much fun!! What will you wear? Tell us how you liked it? They're coming here in October but I signed up for a midnight madness run in Philly in July and we have a lot of local races in October here.

KATHY!!! Nice to see you!!  Are you still run/walking? I'm run/fumbling/walking. I did HR training for 8 wks and since I was going so slow, switched to all jogging, no walking. Tomorrow will be the end of my second week off the HR training and I will need to incorporate walking to get from 13 to 26 mi but haven't figured out how. I was run/walking 1:1 before at 11:30 for last 5k. Tried that for a 10k two weeks ago and it was too fast; I barely made the same time as last year. Felt much more comfortable when I switched to a slower pace without walks. For my last long run I started with 3:1 for 4 mi. then 2:1 for 2 mi then 1:1 but later slipped into slow jogging and back to 1:1. 18 mi at 15mm, some was 13, some was 17.  Have any suggestions?

Tues did some nice speed work at the track. 1 m warmup, 9x 440 at my sprint pace (2:54~3:00) w/2 min recovery and 1/2 m cool down, 3.9. It was very windy but "nice" because I made it through. That pace made my chest hurt and toward the end I had to bend over to breathe but I was never so out of breath that I had to stop. It's kind of disappointing though because I can go much faster at shorter periods. So 1 min at 9:30 and 1 min. at 16, I guess I'm better off if I can teach my body to run at 12 mm without the breaks. I have two goals this season: to run a full and to place in the top three for my AG in the AF 5k on 9/20. The last one is going to require a 10 mm.

Mary Kay

Oh, meant to ask. Has anyone tried a two day juice cleanse? I just signed up for one but don't know what to expect.

Mary Kay

Art in AZ

AZ2MN - The Firefly Run was one of those Nancy did last year. She said she enjoyed it. These night runs seem to be getting more popular as there are 4 of them scheduled within about 6 weeks time. I did the Night Run in Scottsdale last year. It was fun running among all the "lighted" people. Would have run that one with you but spent the extra running money for the Too Hot to Trot 5K on April 27 and some more car parts.

Dan - It will warm up soon.

Mary Kay - I don't have any suggestion other than practice, practice, practice. I did some run/walk way back in the beginning as I built up the time and distance I could run. Not much help on the juice cleanse either. Had to look it up. Are you sure you want to do that training for a full? From what I read it seems it wouldn't be too beneficial trying to keep pace with the calories we need when running.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

Okay my friends- here's a question on a slightly different topic:

Last evening, DW and I were folding and putting away laundry.  On a whim, I counted the number of technical quick-dry shirts I had accumulated from races overs the last couple of years.  I now have enough that I could do all my training runs for over three weeks and never wear the same shirt twice!  Yes, it's a standard perk for race entries, but seriously, I'm running out of room to store the darn things!

What do you do with all those race shirts?  Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54