50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 05/05/2013 (Read 9 times)

rmcj001

Rich - You're getting faster.  Maybe that 5.5mm is in there still Wink

Chantilly - You're getting close to the taper stage!  That just sound really good to me right now...

Art - I gotta start running earlier like you.  I just need to remember to do it outside, or get a bigger fan when running on the treadmill.  Last time I hiked half dome there was a guy who set is pack down for just a second and a juvenile black bear grabbed it.  We watched him chasing the bear around curry village for 5-10 minutes but had to leave on our hike before we could see how it turned out.   It was kind of comical.

adkkev - Only 80F?  Enjoy it!

Yesterday was tough.  It was supposed to be a 9 mile tempo run with at least 1 mile warmup and cool down for 11 total miles.  Got the 1 mile warmup in and just kept thinking "It's hot!".  Middle of mile 5 took a break to suck down my gel and water and all I could think was "you're never going to make it!", "keep going a little further".  Mile 6 and 7 were just a grind and I kept thinking "mile 8 is shaded, mostly..." The thing I was trying to keep out of my mind was "8 is mostly up hill".  When I finally got to the turn around I just though "thank God! It's down hill!"  Toward the end of mile 9 I was in a bit  of gastric distress and thought "bathroom" is at the end.  Took my bathroom break and the sweat just poured out of me w/o the air flow.  Break over I walked a bit and then started jogging again.  2nd half of mile 10 was much better and finished the final .3 in just over 8 mpm pace.  Time (10:03, 8:34, 8:44, 8:49, 9:07, 8:44, 8:40, 9:02,  8:45, 9:10, 8:07).  10.3 miles in 1:32:01 temp 93F.  The rest of work I was sucking down water the whole time, around 80oz.  Got home and kept drinking...

So, marathon is 6 weeks away and right now all I can think is 4 more weeks of 50 miles per week?  I sure hope it cools down, or I ain't going make it...

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 That's a hot one...maybe you'll realize some benefit from that tough day in a week or so?

6 miles plus weight machines. Won't be following a taper, will treat the marathon as a long training run.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday,

5/3/2013

Today was a day off, but I got in a 3 mile walk just the same.

Ray, that 5.5 mile is nothing. Just put me on a bike and watch me go...lol

adkkev

3.75 miles at lunch time around work, then 5.3 rough trail miles at the local state forest after getting home from work.  Beautiful running weather, nice & sunny, temp about 70, slight breeze.

adkkev

5.1 miles this afternoon on the nature trail ... another beautiful day!!  Snakes (almost stepped on one), turtles, geese, ducks, & countless songbirds.

rmcj001

adkkev - What kind of snakes?

Rich - Smile

Chantilly - Sure hope so!  Nice run.

Yesterday was 10K race.  Weather was 75-78F and course was 6.3 (little extra long).  First 1/2 in 24:05 second half 25:10.  Good enough for 2nd in AG.  The first half would have got me 2nd in AG for the 5K, 2nd half would have got  me 3rd...

Long run with son today (early run wife and I are hiking in Monterey this afternoon) and fortunately the marine layer moved in yesterday evening and night. 59F and overcast with a bit of wind.  13.1 miles in 2:01:04.  last 7 miles were (8:39, 8:22, 9:20, 8:41, 8:44, 8:41,8:28), so you can tell the first 6 were slow...)  Legs felt dead both days.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday was a 7 mile run on the railtrail at an easy pace, today was a 4 mile hike in the woods.  I'm a little out of whack with training, but my legs need a break so I took it.

Nice race Ray, it's tough to race well when you're in the middle of marathon training, but you pulled it off...

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning early. Weather was nice.

Ray - Congratulations on your race and 2nd in age group. Woo Hoo! And nice time on the 13+ mile training run. The "dead feeling" legs didn't seem to hamper your running too much.

Rich - A hike in the woods is part of training. It's just a very slow run to benefit your mental health.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ