50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Art in AZ

Got a 5 mile run in this morning under an overcast sky. Finished just in time because a little while later it rained a little. Then cleared later in the day. Now the weather is calling for rain Thursday night through Saturday. Clearing for the Super Bowl. We'll see.

NH Runner - Half is Sunday, Feb. 15. So another 2 1/2 weeks to go.

WDWRich - Nice picture. I imagine running along the water would be nice.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Fletch

Slipped out in front of the group this morning, turned around and snapped this shot. You can't see them all, but we had 25 runners this morning for the speed workout. 27 degrees, but clear, with very little wind. 5.3 miles total, including the warmup, cool down and intervals.

WDWRich

Fletch - Nice photo.  Must be fun running with a group in the early morning.  When I do my pre-dawn weekday runs, it's usually just me and my dog.  Very rarely is anyone else out running/walking at that time.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Fletch

Chantilly - 60 mile week - that's awesome! In my opinion, 13 miles to disco music would be excruciating, because I would have gone through all of the disco music I liked by the end of the first mile! 

Art - Nice long run Sunday, even with the "break." Good job getting in the 5 miles before the rain.

NH Rich - How'd you fare in the storm? May be a lot of XC ski days coming up for you.

WDW Rich - Looks like that was a beautiful day...and quite a scenic run. Even better to share it with DD, right?

No running for me since last Wednesday, until this morning. Took Friday off to rest the hamstring after I tweaked it during the speed work last week. Then the flu hit over the weekend. Cough was still too bad to run Monday, and Tuesday's are always out for me, due to scheduling. As you see in the post above, I made it out for the 5.3 mile workout this morning. Hamstring felt fine. Made it through the run without too much coughing, then had a spell when we finished. The cold air makes it worse, but at least it doesn't affect the run.

Stay safe, dry and warm! 

Chantilly75

WDWRich Your picture is very nice, along the water. Looks warm.

NH Runner I hope you're not buried, there. Saw some photos online for the NE area.

I can remember one winter in the '60's. we got so much snow, that my Dad had to crawl out of a window and shovel out the front door so that we could get out of the house.

Art in AZ Lucky that you got in before the rain. Still got time for your race.

I enjoyed dancing at discos "back in the day" so some good memories, there.

Fletch_NC Good photo.  Pretty dark there for your run, big group, too. No cars out yet? Good to hear that your 'flu is going away.

11 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

WDW Rich - Yes, it is fun with that group. I still do about half of my running either alone or with my dog Brady. I can almost always find a group, or at least a running partner, anytime I want, through this group. However, I still really enjoy the peace of a solo run.

Chantilly - We actually finish our entire run before the sun comes up (start at 4:45 and finish in about an hour). It doesn't really look that way in the photo, but we run right down the main street in our little town. We occasionally have to move over for a paper delivery car, police cruiser or a bread truck, but they're about the only one's out at that time of day in this sleepy little town. Oh, and we do see the hardcore "yogi's" showing up for a pre-dawn Hot Asana Yoga session. We nod at them, they nod at us...both of us thinking..."Yep, we get it, even if no one else does."

NH Runner

Wednesday, 1/28... took yesterday off due to the storm and ran 4 miles on the treadmill today.    Living on the Southwest corner of the state, we didn't get hammered the way folks living near the coast did, locally just a foot of snow and wind gusts to 30 mph.    Obviously nothing compared to the 2+ feet along the coast and winds to 75 mph, thankfully.    After a Nor 'Easter rolls through, the counterclockwise rotation of the storm brings cold Canadian air down on us and that's what was going on today.    Anyway, ran easy on the treadmill 'til the last mile, then ran some quicker sessions to break up the boredom.

Art... that half is getting close, but you're ready...

Fletch.. enjoyed the pic., looks like an enthusiastic bunch!     Between the flu and hamstring, you've had some serious distractions lately, but doing just fine.   Good for you!

Rich... enjoyed the pic where you ran with DD, nice!

Chantilly... when I was a kid, I worked at the local ski area cooking and busing tables.   Lots of snow, but never to the point where I had to exit the house through a window.   Wow! lol

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/29... we hit 32 degrees today, so I got out the door for a 5 miler through the covered bridge.    I had waxed my XC skis the day of the storm, figuring I should get 'em ready in case the groomer goes through and sure enough, when I went by the railtrail this morning it was groomed and perfect for skiing.    I was seriously tempted to go home and grab the skis, but continued on with the run, splits were 9:24, 8:58, 8:56, 8:46 and 8:51.    Hopefully I won't regret not skiing, we've got a minor snow storm coming through tonight and it may mess up the trail for skiing tomorrow...

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC Hope your cough is better.  I understand that yoga enthusiasts would be out early before work, also, now that you mention it. I guess it doesn't matter which sport a person is in, they get their workout done whenever it is convenient.

NH Runner Good paces outside there.

How is that covered bridge when it snows a lot? Is it drifted in? I imagine a snowplow would be too wide for an old fashioned structure like that.

8 miles at 6 am.

4 miles at 10:30 am (with son)

Race medal avatar is from the ET midnight marathon/51 Km held near area 51 in NV. It glows in the dark.

Sonata Arctica

Sunday rest. Woke up Monday with the blahs and throat a little irritated, and don't want to take any chances of making it worse by running outside again.  It was actually a nice 'warm' winter running day, very tempting, but another rest day.  Did some stretching, and health rider.

Tuesday:  had to get some cross-training in so drove to gym.  Ran 4.2 miles on TM, intervals on cross-country option workout.  Then 2 miles on mini track = 6.2 miles total.  15 mins. elliptical, 20 mins. cycling, 20 mins. weights.

Wed: freaking icy road/trail conditions and windy!!  Would be smarter to stay home.  So rest day.  Some core exercises and health rider.

Thurs (today):  around 2 pm, 12 degrees, 15 mph wind, feels -4 degrees, partly cloudy.  Was thinking of 'toughing it out' but it was icy, lots of black ice. Almost slipped just being on the walkway!! So off to the gym again.  Ran 6.5 miles on TM on hills option workout. Then 2.5 miles on mini track = 9 miles total.  YAY!!  10 mins cycling.  Good steady workout.  Getting colder but sun was out on drive home Smile

Chantilly:  that's a cool medal!! I did like the photo of you though Smile  Good job on the double run day!!

NH:  glad the worst of the storm bypassed your area.  Lucky you that you got a good run on the rail trail.

Fletch:  loved the morning run photo!!  Wishing you a speedy recovery; lots of flu cases going around it seems.  Do you carry a hand held water bottle?  Even though it's a short distance, for some runners, it really helps to keep throat moist in dry winter air to lessen the coughing fit after a run.  Just talking from experience.

Art in AZ

Got in 8 miles this morning. Cool and overcast this morning as they are calling for rain Thursday night through Saturday. It's raining a little right now. Rest day tomorrow as I have a funeral in the morning. So I'll see what Saturday brings. Otherwise it will be Sunday. Suppose to be partly sunny for the Super Bowl.

Fletch - Nice picture of the morning group. Having lived in a small town I now what you mean by the streets being empty. But at least there is some light around to help with your vision.

Chantilly - Nice runs. And I like the medal.

NH Runner - On those days when it's terrible outside the treadmill comes in handy. Are you going to try skiing if the snow doesn't mess things up?

AZ - You're still getting in the miles despite the weather. Are you still planning for the trail halfs here in March? I'm debating about doing a half in Cottonwood middle of April. But am a little concerned about the higher elevation and breathing based on my 5k at that elevation last year.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

az2mntrail That was some good cross-training.  Staring at the walls indoors gives a person intestinal fortitude.  Anyways, better than taking a chance on black ice.

Art in AZ Nice 8 miles outside.  Are you having more rain than usual this year?  Sympathy sent to you about the funeral.

8 miles.

Sonata Arctica

WDWRich

Chantilly  - Cool medal!

Art - I think you're getting some of the same rain we are having here in SoCal.  I hope it's gone for my Saturday morning run too.  If not, Sunday will do

AZ - Hope your throat is better.  Be careful with the black ice!  I remember it all too well from the days long ago when we lived in the northeast.

NH - Nice splits on the 5-miler, and a covered bridge to boot!

Fletch - My weekday runs also start a bit before 5am, so if it wasn't for the different time zones, we'd be running at the same time.  It is peaceful at that time.

3 miles plus interval sprints yesterday.  Weight room today, then hope to get in at least 8 miles on Saturday.  Have a nice weekend everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

NH Runner

Friday, 1/30... 4 miles of XC skate skiing with one other guy today.   Sounds weird, but fresh snow is not the best for skiing, it has a lot of sharp edges to it that slow you down and that's what was on the ground today, about 3 inches of it.    Give the snow 24 hours to break down a little and the skiing gets much better.    Anyway, 4 miles was more than enough in that stuff...lol

Chantilly... the covered bridge doesn't get snow blown into it, but vehicles traveling through it with snow on their tires leave just enough behind to make it really slippery in the bridge, almost as bad as ice.   The wooden floor in the bridge is really smooth and the thin film of packed snow will get your attention when your feet start to slip...lol   Rock solid running as usual.

az... there's no quit in you, you're training's gone really well this winter!

Art... yes, the treadmill is a lifesaver this time of year, but I still hang my head and slump my shoulders when I have to get on it...lol    Good luck trying to get out ahead of the lousy weather headed your way...

Fletch

NH Rich - Finally were able to get in some XC, eh? Nice 4 mile workout.

WDW Rich - Nice interval run. And yes, I do love those early morning runs.

Chantilly - solid running, as always. I LOVE the Area 51 medal!

Art - Nice 8 mile run. Caught a little bit of the WM Phoenix Open today on tv. Weather looked miserable. Almost as miserable as Tiger's golf swing! 

Az - Way to tough it out through some bad weather, getting in the work at the gym. You'll be back outside before you know it. RE: water bottle. I usually only carry a bottle on my long runs, but you make a good point. It probably would help avoid the post-run coughing fit if I could keep my throat moist. I think I'll try that.  Thanks!

Thursday was my cross training day. Had a great HIIT workout at the fitness studio.

Friday (today) - 5 miles at about 9:30 pace. Temperature in the 40's, but VERY windy. Legs were a little sore from the HIIT work yesterday, but I think the run helped loosen them up a little.

Have a great weekend. Run safe!