50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & workouts, week ending 2/24/2013 (Read 14 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

old-runner - Thanks for the information on your training plan. I looked at your blog and was impressed by your physical transformation from a bit overweight to being trim and fit. You also have run many races and have placed at the top of your age group. My question to you is how did you determine your MHR? Do you look it up on a chart based on age or do you have to get a physical test?

Chantilly75 - I also have problems with pain in my left big toe, I am not sure if it is arthritic or due to an injury. I do take a glucosamine-chondroitin tablet and also cod liver oil, both of are said to help. It does not seem to effect my running, but it can feel sore after a long run. I am glad you were able to do a number of 6 and 7 mile runs.

NH Runner - Good that you are still able to run, but when you are sick you have to think if rest would help you to recover faster. I had the flu in December and when I returned to work because other people were out as well, I had to work a lot of double shifts ( I work in a home for disabled people and we have to maintain minimum staff levels). I took several weeks off from running and my training was set back and now I am trying to build up again. It was interesting about your attempt to qualify fot the Boston. As we get older we are more prone to injury from overtraining and it takes longer to recover. One of my dreams is to run the Boston, but I am not sure if I can ever get fast enough to qualify. I would do it in honor of my Grandfather, who I was named after (my father was Jr. and I'm the III). He ran the Boston back in  1902 and again in 1903.  There were 49 starters in '02 and 56 in '03. The race distance was still just 25 miles. In '02 he did 3:20:20 and finished 10th, in '03 he ran 3:01:53 and got 6th! I have the cup from that race on display in this room.

rmcj001 - I am sorry you are not running but walking is still good and you should keep at it! I think light exercise can help to stimulate the healing process.

My long run of 7.4 was 3 miles shorter than last week but my weekly total was better since my shorter runs were longer and I did more of them. This week  I only ran 4 days and took off 3 because I was either busy or tired. I prefer to have 6 days of running with my rest day after my long run. Hopefully I will be more motivated as the weather improves. Next week I would like to do a long run of 11 miles or more. I hope the weather is good.    Best, Altair5

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

old-runner

old-runner - Thanks for the information on your training plan. I looked at your blog and was impressed by your physical transformation from a bit overweight to being trim and fit. You also have run many races and have placed at the top of your age group. My question to you is how did you determine your MHR? Do you look it up on a chart based on age or do you have to get a physical test?

From what I've read, for about 80% of runners the following formula can be used:

205 minus 1/2 your age.

I've read that this works for about 80% of runners, but 10% will be lower and 10% will be higher so it doesn't work for everybody. My heart rate is a little high. Using the formula I should be at 175...

205 minus 30 = 175

But I've seen 185 once in a race and another time I saw 186 and I've used 185 as my max. I've probably run 150 races with the heart rate monitor and I haven't seen that high a number in a couple years so I should probably recalculate down to 180 or even 175 (maybe I actually do fit in the formula) but I don't think having the number exactly perfect is as important as just knowing your body and how you're affected at different levels when it comes to heart rate monitoring. I know that if I hit 170 I can't hold that longer than possibly a couple miles before the wheels start coming off so I try to stay in the range of 165-168, which I can usually hold throughout a half marathon.

I think a good way to figure out your own maximum heart rate would be to run a race (5k would probably be best) wearing the heart rate monitor and give it all you've got in the last mile and see what your max is in the race. Compare that with what the formula shows and you should have a pretty good idea. You might want to add 5 beats or so because you might have not been exactly at 100% -- running at 95% is plenty hard to do.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Thanks for the information old-runner. I am posting a continuation of this discussion on the thread "Hi!" which is  more general  and widely read area and so more people will see and offer thier advice and comments.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!