50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 3/31/13 (Read 10 times)

rmcj001

5 Miles today (8:52, 8:29, 8:16, 8:23, 7:56) 41:57.  Semi overcast 62F.

Ray

NH Runner

Nice run Ray, your times are coming down.

10 miles for me today, miles 8, 9 & 10 included some decent hills.  Splits were all over the place, but I'm happy to get this run in, it's been a while since I've run this far.  Splits were 9:28, 9:14, 9:04, 9:17, 9:14, 9:21, 9:25, 10:31, 11:03 and 10:30.

Tomorrow's a day off...

Altair, I don't have any experience with shoe inserts and ran in cotton early in my running career, but changed over to tech gear shortly after.

adkkev

8.3 on the rail trail ... only a little bit of snow left in spots along the way, easily avoided.  Overcast, 40 degrees.  Pace a bit slower than you guys!

rmcj001

Man, make feel like a slacker. Nice runs Rich and adkkev!

6 miles in 51:45 (9:24, 8:34, 8:27, 8:38, 8:29, 8:14) 65F and sunny.  Today felt more like a grind even tho heart rate average was down a bit, go  figure...

Ray

Chantilly75

3 days off, 10 miles on the track today.

Not sure that I like these  Brooks Pure Flow's.  If I'm going to run on my fore-foot, I would rather wear the Newton's.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Quick 5 mile run this morning before I had to go to work. Slight overcast and probably low 50s.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

7+ on the rail trail this evening ... finally warm enough to wear shorts!!  (it was 45 degrees & sunny)

NH Runner

Tuesday

3/26/2012

Has everyone seen this video?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo  Interesting...

Tuesday was a day off from running, I X trained instead.   Push-ups, planks, sit-ups and 7 different exercises with the resistance band.  I only did 12 reps of each and just one set, but it's a start...

Everyone's running nicely, eh?

adkkev... we all run at different paces, but the effort's the same.  You're doing good things for your health and that's the main thing.

Chantilly... another nice run.  I'm curious about your reaction when you see the way the guy in the video is landing on his feet.

Ray... slacking, eh?  I hate to see it when you get going...lol

Art... I'm curious what 50 degree weather feels like to you.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Tuesday I did a 7.37 mile run. The course is mostly a gradual, uphill slope for the first three and a quarter miles with a gain of about 275 feet. Then, it is back downhill for the end. My favorite runs are like this with a long, gradual climb followed by the decline at the end. It is hard to do the opposite if you tire yourself out on a long run and have to end with going uphill. It was partly cloudy and 51 degrees, warm enough again for shorts! I can still see patches of snow here and there and the ponds have some ice in them . My pace was 10:52, not real fast but I did this same course on Feb 8th with a 12:35 pace, so I am getting faster. One reason is I did not do any rest stops this time. I did stop to tighten my shoelaces and again for a call of nature. My legs felt only slightly sore at the end and I still felt energetic and kept up my pace. I am not doing intervals or anything where I am pushing to run faster. I am now on anything but my longest run trying to keep a good, but still comfortable pace. A number of time during a run, particularly when there is a change in slope, you think about slowing down. Unless it is a really steep hill I am now trying to maintain or increase my pace. When going down gentle hills I now try to stretch out and run faster, but still try to be smooth and efficent. NH Runner, the video on natural running was instructive in regards to good form. Last summer I tried doing very short but faster runs and when I did a 5K in Sept. my time was only about 20 seconds faster than the year before when I was doing distances. I also lost my endurance for the longer runs. I now think that approach was a mistake. I know my pace is still not very fast, but my intent in my training now is focused on distance and endurance. When I am able to run the longer distances I want to,  then I will try to maintain endurance while working on developing more speed. So adkkev, regardless of what your pace is, just running on a regular basis several times a week helps to maintain or improve that pace. I also feel slower than most of the runners here and also am slower than what I was doing in the 90's ,  but I had stopped running for a number of years and am trying now to get back to where I was. It is harder now that I am older to make progress. I look at my old running logs and see that I would prepare in just a few months for a HM or full marathon, often increasing millage by 3 or more a week, I would not do that now for fear of injury, slow and gradual progress is my way now.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Wednesday

3/27/2013

With the wind blowing, I figured the railtrail through the woods would be out of the wind and a better place to run today.  I also thought there might be a few places with mud, but never expected the amount of goop I ran into today.  The first 1/4 mile is exposed to the sun and fairly dry, but after that it gets messy in a hurry.   Of course, by the time my feet got wet I was far enough into the run to figure "what to heck, my feet are wet already, might as well keep going." lol

Anyway, lots of slush, water, ice and mud, but managed 4 miles total.  Splits were 12:27, 11:02, 11:10 and 11:02.

altair... the runner in the video is smooth, isn't he?  I can't imagine running barefoot, but he's got it down to a science.  I've read we should all do a little barefoot running just to check our form, but I never have.   Nice run today btw, you're definitely getting stronger.

rmcj001

Grey day, 67F humid - looks like it might rain, just a blah day. 5.5 miles 47:49 (9:33,9:05,8:43,8:04,8:17, .5@8:07).  Wasn't really feeling it today.

Rich (NH) - Sounds yucky, so kudos for getting it done.  It's fun to watch Dr. Mark Cucuzzella run!  Only wish I was that smooth...

Altair - Hills are definitely better at the beginning.  I've had several races that have finished on hills and I don't like it...

Chantilly - They have similar specs, I'd go with something else Wink  I like lighter and cheaper.

Art - Wasn't it just in the 80's there? Gotta love spring weather...

Ray

Altair5

Runs in the rain

6 miles today, but slower than yesterday with a short walk break and a stop to talk to someone. 12:22 pace. Some light rain-snow combo at start and end.

Rich(NH) sounds like a mud run with slush added in! Good for you for finishing the run in adverse conditions!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Chantilly75

NH Runner  very good video, what a smooth stride, he has!  He almost looks like he's landing flat-footed, certainly not on the fore-foot like so many people recommend.

But, alas, arthritis doesn't make for good running mechanics. Which is a reason why I have 6 different kinds of shoes, and they all hurt my feet after awhile.

Altair5 I am not a fast runner either, preferring distance over speed.

mcj001 we need those blah days sometimes, for strength of character.Wink

Art in Az quite a change in temps in a few days...

adkkev your trail runs sound nice

6 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

NH Runner - 50 degree temp feels cool when I first get out. I've been running in shorts and short sleeve shirt. My legs don't feel the temp but I can feel the chill on my upper body. Takes a few minutes to get warmed up and then I'm OK.

Ray and Chantilly - the temps are still in the mid to upper 80s later in the day. I run normally in the morning so I get the cooler temps which are around the mid 50s now. It's been overcast and I like that so that when I run toward the East I don't have to worry about the sun in my face. Depending on when I start I may or may not use sunglasses.

Altair - When I run my 8 mile "hill" course it's about 3.5 miles to the start of the downhill. then uphill, then level and then uphill till it levels out and I run the same way back. It's a loop course for me. Depending on the race I can modify this 8 mile course by adding miles to the front or end to better match the race course. I don't know if it really helps or not other than the mental aspect of knowing where the hills are on a course.

The Dr. certainly is smooth in the video. I've tried running barefoot a couple of times. My feet are too soft for all the little things that are on the ground. Stepping on a small stone or something else causes more pain running than walking. It did feel nice when I wasn't stepping on something. Saw a couple of barefoot runners in last year's Turkey Trot race.

No running today. Did upper body strength exercises. Also known as working in the garden turning dirt. Run scheduled for tomorrow.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

5.65 miles on the nature trail yesterday after work.  Some mud, some snowy spots, and some soft spots, but overall the trail was in pretty decent shape.  Saw my first blue heron of the season along the canal ... very surprised to see one this early - wonder what he/she is eating?  There's still ice on some parts of the old canal.  Despite the relatively warm temps in the mid 40s, there was a bit of a biting wind so no shorts this time.

It still amazes me to see all the junk that got washed into the canal area during the Irene floods ...