50 and over 5k and beyond

July Runs & Workouts (Read 16 times)

rmcj001

Been awhile since I started one of these...

Tuesday, 7/1/14, 7.3 miles temps around 87F (10 degrees cooler then 6/30).  Nice moderately quick run with last 3 mile at close to target pace for Hanson SOS day (supposed to be 2 x 3).  Legs are still feeling the weekend long run and hikes.

Ray

Fletch

Hi, all.

DW and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the Outer Banks.  Now we're watching Tropical Storm Arthur closely.  The friends we stayed with in Nags Head are directly in the projected path of the storm.  They were planning to visit here for the 4th, but have put that on hold until we see where and when the storm will hit.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was planning to run my first HM in October in Charlottesville, VA.  Our trip this past weekend has caused me to change that plan.  Our friends in Nags Head volunteer for the Outer Banks Marathon and Half Marathon on November 9th, and invited us to come stay that weekend, and encouraged me to run that race instead of the Charlottesville HM.  Probably works better for us anyway, considering Charlottesville race was only one week after DD1's wedding.  So...I received my confirmation for the Outer Banks Half Marathon yesterday.  I'm officially committed now.  Or, as DW puts it..."you probably should be committed!"

Planning to run the Pinecrest Patriot 5k this Friday to kick off the holiday weekend.  Fundraiser for Wounded Warrior Project and Pinecrest High School athletics.  That means about a half hour of looking at the backs of high schoolers...if I'm close enough to see them!

4 miles this morning (first mile at easy 10:13 pace, next three at steady 9:44).  I'll spend the next few weeks building base and mixing in some speed and hill work, then start again on the 16 week HM plan.

Happy Running!

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~Good workout to end June for you. Thanks for the comments on my HM plan.  I share your attitude about training and races.  It is  important for me to have a training plan and race goal, but allow myself to be flexible with both.

Ray~Thanks for getting us started for July - can't believe it.  Where did June go? Good running and hiking - glad it cooled off a little for you. Congrats to DW, and best wishes leading the hike in August.  Appreciate your comments on my plan.  Took it from Brad Hudson's book, "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon."

Fletch~Hope your friends are safe and Arthur fizzles.  Sounds like a smart move switching HM, and November will be an awesome time to run it.!

Tuesday - 4 easy miles around the neighborhood.

Wednesday - 6 miles in before the storms.  Lots of wind, 25 - 30 mph, but cool at 57F.  After our tough winter, lots of roofs being replaced in the neighborhood.  Multiple hammers made for interesting "percussion" music during my run!  Heading to the lakefront for the Summerfest Music Festival this evening.

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

Hi, guys! Checking in during a break in my project work. Debra, Dan, Ray, Rich and Az, I see you've been very diligent with your runs and training!!

Az, I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss!! Hope Odie is feeling better. Say Hey to DH from Me! Glad you had a chance to visit with your family, though!!

Dan, What a wonderful vacation! Loved the pix on fb!! Good job getting your runs in!

Ray, your running journey continues to be quite impressive!! That's some streak you have going and Sunday's run and hikes were a lot of miles!! Great mileage for June, too!!

Debra, what a wonderful recovery run with your running inspiration friend!! I have no doubt that you could finish a marathon now with a training plan that contains, as Chantilly and Ray advised, the extra mileage and longer runs?

This is my week for the training plan development and I am also using Brad Hudson's book. I was going to fall back on the plan I've used twice before, the Master's marathon but you've motivated me to try the Marathon 2. I actually thought about it and opted to be conservative but my goal is audacious so it makes no sense to try and accomplish a big goal with a little plan. Also, I never followed the plan once bc I am just terrible at xtraining at home so I might just as well be running those days. Thanks!!

You are ready to run a full with a training plan that has, as Chantilly and Ray encouraged, longer runs and high mileage. Actually, if all you want to do is finish, the total mileage in your HM plan would be enough but you'd have to include at least three long runs of 18 or more miles starting about five to six weeks out. This usually requires a rest day ahead of it. If you have a time goal, then look at Brad's full plans?

Rich, I really appreciated the details of your friend's HR 4 mile run! This is about normal for me and I am 65 and female (of course). It's good to know I'm in a somewhat normal range because if you use the standards for calculating HR at 60, we're anaerobic just getting out of bed and that isn't helpful. My rate at the high end has been more erratic, as high as 182, and usually jumps up and then back down while I'm feeling whoozy. It's prolly a heart problem that I don't want to know about and I rarely run fast enough to trigger this. If I do, I'm on a TM with handles. I assume its defective gym equipment.

Sorry you've been out of commission and good to see you're getting your run on! I've been injured since June 9th but was able to still run/walk  a mile. After weeks of PT, I'm back to building up mileage and training again soon and don't look forward to that feeling of not being able to do it.

Fletch - Vacation in OBX? Wonderful!! running on the beach, priceless!! Thanks for the fantasy! Great idea for your fall marathon!!

Chantilly - You're getting some nice miles in! Do you have any races planned?

Well, since the relay, I walked/ran the Pig and the 10 hour endurance race. Finished about 31 mi in 9.5 hr and it was a good experience. I stopped a little short of the end after a sharp hamstring pull and a major lack of "I don't care anymore." Although I am slow, I am not that slow; I spent at least an hour in pit stops, eating dinner, changing clothes, etc. Got stuck trying to take off and put on underwear on sweat. Lost my bib for about 10 min. Ripped a toenail off and then bandaged it back in place Stupid stuff. I was surprised how hard it is to cover a flatish oval course; my time for 26 miles was longer than for the pig. The oval was banked and we only went in one direction so guess who came home with a hamstring strain. Thank goodness I was able to drive but after a nap I couldn't put any weight on my left leg without buckling but it's been healing and I'm almost back. Work has been ridiculous so it was a good time to rest. Finished a 4 miler last Saturday with a lousy time but it shaved 30 seconds off my course best (2012). It was good to try and know I was able to do it, even if I was having pain in the fourth mile. I am hoping to get out this weekend for some more miles, maybe trails!

Happy and safe runs and races to you all! Happy 4th of July!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

HAPPY JULY everyone!  Can't believe June went by that fast!

Rested on Sunday. Planned to run Monday but sporadic rain throughout the day, windy, overcast, cool temps in the 50s made for a long day.  Business calls lasted longer and so made it a rest day; I was dressed to run the whole day too!   Sport bras can get uncomfortable, sorry dudes, TMI, LOL!!   Yesterday, finally got out the door around 7pm, cool humidity in the 50s, about 15 mph wind, overcast and misty throughout my run ending in a gentle rain the last 3 miles.  Soggy but it was a good run.  Finished 10.2 miles.  YAY!  Today, drove to state park trails earlier in the morning, temp at cool 55 degrees, gorgeous sunny day, breezy.  Wet grassy trail from yesterday's rain got my shoes soggy from the get-go.  Although quite humid even at this time, the cool breeze was really nice on the shaded trails.  Easy, steady run, took photos/videos now and then with my GoPro.  It was about 65 degrees when I finished 8.2 miles, YAY!!   Planning on rest day tomorrow.  Probably run a 10k on Friday. 

So good to hear from you Kay!!  Was wondering where you were.  Glad you are recovering and back to running; slow start but you'll get there!  Thanks for the kind words.  4 funerals in 3 months was trying on the family and gives you pause to cherish each moment with loved ones.  It was bittersweet to go home and my trail running was mostly done in NM while visiting with family.  There were 'reflective' runs which nourishes my soul; stopping to give thanks for another day with family and friends.

Deb:  our cool windy days got to your area; look out for SUNNY days!! Good running days for you and getting some quality times with family!

Ray:  I had to laugh ........"87F(10 degrees cooler then day before)"  77 degrees is 'cool'? ; that's a heat wave here.  All relative though, right? I'm always amazed by your daily running mileage........and you're adding hiking to it too, awesome!!  You're a great hubby to check out the hike with DW.  Sounds wonderful!

Fletch:  Hope your friend's will come out of the latest weather in NC.  What thoughtful friends too on providing lodging for your HM!! It's worth making the change and gives you some more time to train.

adkev:  we miss you, hope all is well.

Dan:  still running the HM in DWD?  Is DS running too? Hello to DW!

Fletch

Ray - nice mileage through June.  You're on a good pace for the year.  Can't remember if you've said...any upcoming races?

Az - 10.2 soggy miles, then 8 miles on the trail - VERY NICE!!  Have a good 10k Friday.  As for our friends at the Outer Banks...looks like they are coming this way to get out of the path of the storm.  They hate leaving the house behind, but those islands can be tough to evacuate if it gets rough, and if everyone waits until it gets rough to leave!

Mary Kay - good to hear from you.  Hope the leg feels good enough for some trail runs this weekend.

Debra - nice runs Tuesday and Wednesday.  How was the Music Festival last night?

Running in the Patriot 5k tomorrow morning, so I took it easy today.  Short, slow gump run...didn't even take the gps with me, but I estimate it was somewhere around 2 miles, with a few striders at the end (just to remind my legs that I would be expecting a little more tomorrow  Wink.

Happy running.

adkkev

Greetings fellow campers!!

I have been remiss in posting ... like for all of June!  Funny how life gets in the way of things sometimes .. hahahhaaha!!  Still managed to squeeze in 94+ miles in June.

Skipped Tuesday, no run because of the high humidity & storms that passed through.

I managed to get in 5.5 miles on Wednesday ... dew point was a little lower (high 60s instead of the mid 70s) & there was a breeze so it wasn't all that bad.  Although I was pretty well soaked, as if I'd run in a rain storm!!

Mary Kay:  Thirty-one miles?  Excellent result; I hope your leg is better.

az2mn:  Good luck on your 10K tomorrow.

Exercise last week was two 40-minute morning walks (after my HM the previous Saturday), a 90-minute cross-training session at the gym and a 23-mile bike ride on Sunday.  This week it's three days at the animal shelter where I volunteer (two days of filling in for friends and my regular day).  All that bending and kneeling to clean cat cages and empty litter boxes is hard work, especially at my age.  Mowed the lawn today (small subdivision lawn, takes about 40 minutes).

We're leaving tomorrow (the 4th) for a week in lower Michigan with my sister-in-law and family.  The roads I run on near their cottage are a square of one mile on a side, so I don't get lost.  I'll probably alternate between running and walking so I'm doing something every day.

Good luck to all who are racing this weekend.  I'm doing either a 5K or 10K on the 12th; haven't yet decided on a distance.  The entry fee is the same for both.

2014 Races:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, May 3, Kenosha, WI

Dam To Dam HM, June 1, Des Moines, IA

Garry Bjorkman Half Marathon, June 21, Duluth, MN

Des Moines (Half) Marathon, October 19 (registered)

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Still hot there! Good running as usual for you.

Fletch_NC Hope your training goes well for the Outer Banks!

gito57  Hope you enjoyed your concert!

mKayc Hello! Congratulations on your races! Hope your injury stays away.

az2mntrail Sounds like you had a good run!

adkkev Glad you're back.  Still running under the stars?

SteveBikeRun Hope you have a safe trip. Cottage in MI is nice at this time of year.

6 miles at 7AM

3 hours total of yard work. The place was a jungle, had to actually mow most of the lawn twice because it was so thick.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

hey all .  Quick update:  decided NOT to run the 10k tomorrow.  They will not have on-site race day registration so didn't want to DRIVE about an hour (about 45-55 miles) ONE WAY just to register and pick up bib, THEN drive home, THEN drive there again in the morning, THEN drive home after the race!  I don't feel bad, I don't get too excited about 10k road races anymore.  There is a 10k road race here in downtown area along uneven/pot holed streets with too many turns, no scenic views, and I know it won't be FUN for me so why do it, right?  I'd rather save the registration $$ fee for longer distances. Maybe there will be a 10 miler or HM later this month.  A trail race would be sweet!!

To everyone else who's racing:  GOOD LUCK AND RUN FAST!

Everyone:  wishing you and yours a safe and fun holiday weekend!!

justrundan

Wow, am I behind, both in running and posting.

AZ- my registration for DWD is complete, I just need to write the check and stick it in the mail.  Hopefully I'm not biting off more than...  We will see, I'll let you know what it's like.

Deb- Ahh, Summerfest!!  It's been too long since DW & I have gone there.  Must be getting old, the crowds bug me.  We saw James Taylor the last time we were there.  That HM plan should really get you in shape, peaking at 52 mpw!  I've been too lazy in my training, just taking what work gives me time for, and haven't had any set goals for each run.  I need to work on that for a fall HM.  I'd like to get closer to 2H for a HM as well.

Fletch-  You are keeping the miles up there despite all your busyness. good luck in your race tomorrow.

Ray- Wow, your June is a solid 2 months for me! 

Mary Kay-  Good luck with your new training plan.

Hoping for a long run tomorrow, though I'm on "phone call" so I may get interrupted from time to time.  I need a longer run, nothingmore than 5 miles in the last 2 weeks.

Have a great Independence Day everyone!

Dan

Fletch - gump run? As in "Life is like a box of chocolates?" Neat! Never heard that before but do it a lot.

Adkkev - great June miles! Looked it up but I still don't understand the relationship between the dew point and humidity other than when the temp and dew point are close, it's humid.

Steve - you have recovery down!! Enjoy your family visit and good luck with your race next weekend! Chantilly - that's some mowing xtraining!

Dan - is that the Devil's Lake DWD that you are running? The one with Nosebleed hill? Smile) Yikes!!! How badass of you!! Which distance?

Az - are you running it too? Having pain envy.

3.5 slow TMiles yesterday and am off for another short one today. Wanted to do 5 but switched to walking when I had hammie pain at 2.5. If it happens again today, i may try pushing through. Training plan starts with a crap-ton of miles, 5-6 weekly runs of 42-57 mi. I'm doing less than 20 per wk now. Transition will be rough.

Happy Fourth!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Chantilly75

Happy Fourth everyone!

justrundan Hope you get in your longer run & have a good holiday!

az2mntrail I understand about the driving to races and back.

Races should have "morning of" race kit pickup for out of towners. I didn't go to a certain race this year, because it would have involved a hotel stay the night before, just for bib pickup.

mKayc That is a bit of a jump. Hope you can gradually increase your milage without flaring up an old injury.

My hands are so sore today from pulling thistles yesterday. (I don't use weed killers) "Icy/hot"  cream rubbed on both hands and feet.

My family of bumblebees are still living in the clover patch. Enjoy seeing them in the flower beds every year.

7 miles run at 7 AM. Nice out.

Debating whether to go to the group run tomorrow.....or should I say solo run after about 45 minutes when they leave me behind? 

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Happy Fourth of July all!!

Thursday was interesting ... on the way home from work NPR was interrupted by a weather alert stating that there was a tornado warning in the county where I live (I have a 45 mile commute) & I could see the dark clouds off to the west as I was driving along ... so by the time I got home it was sprinkling & the sky was definitely looking weird.  Within minutes there were bolts of lightning, the wind picked up, thunder started, and the rains came ... and it was wild for about 45 minutes.  Thankfully no reports of any tornadoes ... just wind damage here & there along with lots of flooding.  Once that all passed by things got a bit calmer, the rain stopped (at least until after dark) & it cooled down a bit.

Today was completely different ... much cooler, a mix of sun & clouds, and much of the humidity had disappeared.

So I managed to squeeze in 6.4 miles this afternoon ... it was a little breezy but that was fine.

Chantilly - we don't use weed killers either ... and nice work on getting in the 7 miles this morning.

Az - good decision on skipping that race ...

Fletch - how was your 5k??

Debra - hope you enjoyed your Summerfest!

Dan - what's this race you've signed up for?  Trail or road?? Distance?

and .. Hi Steve and Hi Mary Kay!!