50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

NH Runner

Happy New Year everyone!

Thursday, 1/15... 5 mile railtrail run today.   In 10+ years of running the trail, I've never seen the footing as rough as it is now.    Splits were all over the place, but still ended up a decent workout... 11:49, 11:01, 11:33, 10:57 and 10:29.

Chantilly... got it on the weights.   I stopped every half mile during yesterday's run with Sim to give him a breather and make sure he was ok.    The cold doesn't seem to bother him, he's got lots of fur...lol   Impressive run yesterday and solid mileage for the year, WTG!

Hi Jo!

Art... nice mileage totals for you as well...

Chantilly75

NH Runner I suppose you haven't had a good snow cover on that trail yet. Nice paces for having to watch your step all the way.

7 miles at 9 AM when the track opened.  The usual seniors were chomping at the bit to get in their walk at such a late hour for them.....does that include me??

4 miles at 11 AM with son.

Happy New Year to all!

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EACH OF YOU!! 

Another glorious blinding SUNNY morning, so I HAD to get my ritual of a run on NEW YEAR'S DAY .....Have been religious about it for years, no matter where I am, no matter the weather..........about 12 degrees, 15 mph wind, -4 degrees!!  Bundled up from head to toe.  Not so bad after half mile, just soaking in the marvel of the NEW YEAR, reflecting on good things I'm grateful for and celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary today!!   We had light snow all night so my tracks are the first and only ones on the dirt road around the fairgrounds.  Solitude.  Peace, Joy, and Run.  Incredible way to begin 2015.  Finished 4.1 miles.  Ankles and calves had a good workout in the snow.  We had a fabulous New Year's eve dinner and then, DH and I danced our way to 2015 at a Masquerade Ballroom Dance event.  It was fun and spectacular.  I love this holiday!!   There is so much running to do this year!!  REMEMBER, IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE FUN!

justrundan

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!  Day 33,mile 112 on the streak.  1163 miles on the year.  Didn't quite make my goal, but certainly more than I've run in 12 mo since I started this 4 years ago. Please with that. 

AZ- nice day to celebrate your anniversary.  Congrats to you and DH!!

Rich- That is really rough running on frozen, rough ground.  Good job.

Chantilly- starting the year with a double, way to go!

Enjoy the start of the year and your runs!

Dan

Art in AZ

Happy Year New! I see we're all off to a good start.

8 miles this morning. Weather was cold, cloudy and damp from the light rain overnight. Sun came out towards the end of the run but then the clouds moved back in.

Rich - I can't imagine what's it like running in the ice and snow. Being from Northern Illinois I certainly know that kind of weather but never ran in it when it was like that.

Chantilly - Off to a nice start.

AZ - Congrats on the anniversary. Ever time I read your present weather conditions I remember some of the winters many years ago. Brrr. I've said it before, I am a warm weather person. I'm feeling a chill just thinking about it.

Dan - Way to go with the streak. Now to plan this year's goal.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

Happy New Year to all!  From your posts/pics, I can see that winter is in full swing around the country.  After living in SoCal for many years, it's hard for me to imagine running in ice and snow.  You all impress me with your persistence.

Strength training in the weight room today.  15k race a week from tomorrow.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Happy Anniversary! Dinner & dancing! 

justrundan congrats on your longest yearly total!

Art in AZ  Good for you getting out in that cold damp rain.

WDW Rich Hope your training is going well for your race.

Shovelled snow, ran 4 miles on the track, lifted weights, more snow to shovel this afternoon. Blizzard conditions.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 1/2...just enough snow to make for slippery conditions today, so I ran the treadmill 3 miles.   Used a heart rate monitor and ran at an easy pace.   More snow is forecast for tomorrow, but maybe I can get out ahead of it.    Last year's numbers for me included 107 last month and 1089 for the year.   That excludes June, July and August when I went down with an injury.

Chantilly... people walked the railtrail the other day when it was warm and sunk into the snow.   Add to that the ruts created when 2 ATV's went through and you get an idea what the trail looked like when it turned cold, deep foot prints and ruts frozen solid...    Nice runs!

az... Happy Anniversary!   Nice way to start the new year too!

Dan... you had a good year last year!

Art... there are a number of products you can strap to your shoes for better traction in the snow.   I use Yaktrax and they make running in the snow reasonably safe.   The big danger for me is cross country skiing, if I had a dollar for every time I've fallen... lol Congrats on the 8 miler..

Rich... we had a 35 car pile-up on the interstate today, caused by the slippery conditions.   One driver described it as Black Ice, if you're not familiar with it, it's ice on the highway you can't see.

Chantilly75

NH Runner It would be hard to run with those kinds of ruts/holes on the trail.. Your totals were good for having to take off 3 months due to injury.

Shoveled more snow at 6 AM.

13 miles on the track. About 17 runners there. Windchill is -30F.

Wasn't tired, so went over and did part of the neighbor's driveway, because I thought they were away....got caught doing my good Samaritan deed. (they were home)

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 1/3... 4 mile railtrail run today.   With the wind blowing, I decided the railtrail was a better option than the highway.    Splits weren't great, but better than the other day...11:44, 10:35, 10:32 and 10:10.

Chantilly... considering everything, I'm happy with this year's mileage.   My main focus this winter is to stay injury free and fine tune the latest form change I've made.    Real happy with where I am right now.    You're running really well lately, another 13 under your belt!   Your neighbors, are they the same ones who caught you raking their leaves?

Thurs: 13 degrees, 16mph wind, feels -3 but another BEAUTIFUL SUNNY day Smile  Decided to enjoy it so ran along 'drier' portion of road and neighborhood road. Finished 4.1 miles.

Fri:  Looked 'colder' because of the dark clouds all day with some light snowfall. Dismal day.  Had every intention to drive to gym but got lazy.  So bundled up again head to toe.  About 18 degrees, 10mph, feels 10.  Finished 5.2 miles.  Snowed all night so my tracks are first and only around the neighborhood and fairgrounds.  Solitude.

Sat. (today):  Too cold and 22 mph wind gusts with snow flurries.  Didn't want to drive to gym so a rest day.  Dinner out with DH.  HE went to the gym for a swim!  Predicted below zero degrees for the next few days!! BRRRR!

Ran 5 out of 7 days this week.  Miles for week:  17.3.

Oh, miles for 2014:  1230.8  Smile

Chantilly:  You are off to a spectacular start for the New Year!! WTG!!  How did the neighbors react?  You are a kind and generous soul Smile

NH:  The wind does dictate where we run as well, right?  Your pace times, considering the conditions, are great!!  It does force one to run slower but against the wind, a much 'stronger' run.  Way to hang in there!!

WDW:  you're ready for the 15k this weekend!! I know you'll exceed your goal.

Art:  I rely on my 'good' trail shoes with good grit for better traction, not yet used Yaktrax.  I've learned how to run on/in winter road conditions while living in Flag, from other die-hard mountain trail runners, and articles on 'running in cold weather'.  I 'slip' now and then but my 'pilates/yoga' exercises come in handy as my 'movements' look like a scene from the "Matrix" (said a couple of runners) when I caught myself from a face plant in a dirt trail race! 

Dan:  CONGRATS on the streak!!  How long are you going to keep it up?  YAY on the 2014 mileage too!!  You had some challenges but you did good!!

Ray:  safe travels home and hope the running you resume provides comfort and peace.

Nana_

I checked my log for December - three runs total.  Safe to say I took December off :-)

Today was my third run this year, so it's safe to say I'm back.

8 weeks until local 10K

Happy New Year Everyone!

:-)

rmcj001

Az - Sorry, been a bit out of it the past couple of weeks.  Loved the pic and it was so obvious you were smiling!

NHRich & Chantilly - you two are so consistent! Kudos for getting your runs in!

Dan & Fletch - Congrats on your streaks and mileage for the month!

Art & Jo - good to see you back!

Sluggo - Looks like you're making progress!  Keep it going!

WDRich - Nice pics of the lake!  Good luck with the 15K!

Running has been erratic.  Tuesday, 12/30, did a quick 1:08:00 run, but watch was low on battery so guestimated that it was 8.5 miles.  Jan 1st did a progressive run on the treadmill, 4 miles in 30:36 - for you Rich, miles were 8:38, 7:57, 7:19, 6:41.  Today did a long run which from home to Stanford Dish, which includes about 700' of elevation gain, 13.1 in 1:48:53 - basically this was at marathon pace.  I think all the off days allowed me to go a little faster then normal for these runs.  Back to work next week, so will probably get back into my normal schedule.

Finished December with 162.5 miles;  2014  2179.3 miles.

Happy New Year!

Ray

Art in AZ

13 miles this morning . Weather was mid 30s, sunny and windy at times. Felt warmer during last few miles. Weather predicted getting back to normal so this may be the last run in long pants for a while. Long range weather calls for good weather for Saturday's 10K.

Read some interesting articles on Running Times in the Masters section on training. Basically talked about what most of us are doing already. Running, cross training and resting. Also couple of articles about older runners setting some records. So there is still hope for all of us.

Hi Ray, nice mileage total for December and the year.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ