52 in 52

Improvement in "52 in 52" tracking (Read 363 times)

I've been playing around with the google spreadsheet we use to track our "52 in 52" runs and I think I may have managed to make it easier to track out efforts. If you enter a run into your runningAhead log then within about 15 minutes the record in our google spreadsheet should be automatically updated.

It should pick up any workout that is over HM length and log it in your sheet. It does not work if it is entered as 2 or more consecutive entries (eg a track workout then an easy run) so you'll still need to enter them manually.

Post a note here if it does not seem to work properly.

The sheet is still at the link here - or you can view the summary chart in this post as we march to the 52:

Running - cheaper than therapy

jeffdonahue

That is very cool.  I hadnt noticed that and put another one on the spradsheet.  I have now deleted it, I hope this doesnt screw anything up.

Thats awesome. I was thinking the other day when you told me how to enter my 13.1's on the BT tab sheet that it would be cool if the tracking sheet could pull that info from our logs, but didn't think it was something that could be done so I never brought it up.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Damn.  I was pretty impressed with the plain ol' spreadsheet, now we have autmatic entries.  Thanks Ian, great stuff!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

It should pick up any workout that is over HM length and log it in your sheet. It does not work if it is entered as 2 or more consecutive entries (eg a track workout then an easy run) so you'll still need to enter them manually.

Actually, it looked to me like it was ipcking up an entry that was entered as two entries.  On Jan 14th I did 4 miles of intervals and finished up the rest of the 13.1 miler easy and entered it as two workouts.  But I think I saw on the spreadsheet that I had 7 total 13.1 milers which is the correct number.

I cant see the spreadsheet from work so I'll have to recheck that when I get home.

Actually, it looked to me like it was ipcking up an entry that was entered as two entries.  On Jan 14th I did 4 miles of intervals and finished up the rest of the 13.1 miler easy and entered it as two workouts.  But I think I saw on the spreadsheet that I had 7 total 13.1 milers which is the correct number.

There's a couple of reasons why the sheet shows your Jan 14th run correctly:

1) If you manually key in a run distance on the sheet then it does not get deleted. The automatic routine only adds entries on the sheet, or increases them if the distance in the RA log is more - it never deletes them. 

2) As part of the checking that it was working correctly I compared what runs were being picked up automatically with what had already been entered manually - and made sure that nothing (from the past) was missed.

The Google script that does the work treats two separate entry on your log as two separate runs and does not add them together (even if they occur on the same date). It would not be difficult to have it add them together, but team rules (as mandated by BadDawg Smile ) are that the run/workout should be "continuous" - so a 6 mile run in the morning and a 7.1 mile run in the evening doesn't make it but a 6 mile temp workout followed by a 7.1 easy run warm-down does. Unfortunately its not easy for me to extract the time of a workout so I can't get the script to work it out - it just looks at the longest run on that day and logs it if it is at least 13.1 miles (or 21.1km). 

After all that - there is no $million prize for meeting our 52 in 52 goal (just ask badDawg what is prize was last year!) so you can manually log pretty much whatever you want, but the auto script just looks at individual entries.

Damn.  I was pretty impressed with the plain ol' spreadsheet, now we have autmatic entries.  Thanks Ian, great stuff!

Glad I can help. I'm nowhere close to Eric's geek level (geek-ness being a compliment), but it was interesting to play around with google scripting and see if I could get something to work. 

A suggestion: how about putting a display of the main summary chart on a sticky thread, or the forum home page? It would create a live link showing where we all are without having to open the spreadsheet.

Google spreadsheets provides a link to any chart that can be dropped into a web page, or a forum posing like here on RA. To drop it into a post just insert an image link to "https://spreadsheets.google.com/oimg?key=0AkJ99_WhRXY2cm5jRkluR3ZMX2RfMU0wekZrZV9UM1E&oid=31&zx=pwj49r-thd226" 

The spreadsheet chart in the posting is updated every time the message is viewed.

jeffdonahue

Great job - thanks for all the hard work.

C-R

Pretty sweet work the Ian. Thanks.

Now if I can only move off the bottom of the pile and catch up with you real runners.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Pretty sweet work the Ian. Thanks.

Now if I can only move off the bottom of the pile and catch up with you real runners.

If you are the bottom of the pile, where does that leave me?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

If you are the bottom of the pile, where does that leave me?

Working harder like me to catch up with the mileage hounds. Big grin

New motto for us both - less typing, more running

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

It worked! Very slick.

I'll just have to watch out for the possible double day that isn't a continuous run. Hope this doesn't pick up bike miles or else I might just wrap this up before the end of spring when the weather gets better and bike commuting is an option.

Hope this doesn't pick up bike miles or else I might just wrap this up before the end of spring when the weather gets better and bike commuting is an option.

Sorry bike miles wont fool the gremlin that stalks your log.  I've instructed him to only look at workouts with the Activity =   "Run"

So far the update has not worked for me. I did a 13.25 miler this evening and its been about a half an hour so far and nothing has happened. I can see the spreadsheet says "working" at the top when I open it.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

So far the update has not worked for me. I did a 13.25 miler this evening and its been about a half an hour so far and nothing has happened. I can see the spreadsheet says "working" at the top when I open it.

Sorry - I can't help myself from tweaking. I tried to tidy up the script a bit this morning (so I can sort out later jsut what it is doing) and ended up busting it. Its fixed and working now.