52 in 52

Week of January 16th (Read 267 times)

Friday night's 13 was an incredibly miserable slog, because of the lazy @$$holes of Lexington, Massachusetts.  Yes THAT Lexington, birthplace of American Liberty and home of jerks too lazy to clear a shovel width of their sidewalks.  I was too stubborn to cut the run off, and wound up on streets that were way too narrow because of snowbanks.

Today's run felt like a walk in the park in comparison, it was warm and sunny and I stayed in the well shoveled confines of Arlington.  With about 90 days until Boston, I did my hill repeats in the middle miles.  I did step in a puddle that sent slushy salty crud up over the top of my left shoe, but I was only a mile from the end of my run.

I'll probably take it easy this week, and head back to the hills of Dracut this coming weekend.  They nearly killed me last time, I want to see if I can do a little better and get in about 20 miles.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

So what is that?  7 for you now?  You trying to hit 52 by Boston?

Nice job.

Last week I did eek out two of them - one was planned on Saturday as my long run.  The other was Friday because my interval session of 6x1000 ended up being over 11 miles anyway so I figured "What the hell, might as well get another one in." 

Of course Sunday was a short day because after those two days and skiing all day Sunday, my legs were kind of shot.   Though now I;m wishing I had just waited a bit and ran at 4:30 instead of watching the Patriots' debacle last night.

Of course Sunday was a short day because after those two days and skiing all day Sunday, my legs were kind of shot.   Though now I;m wishing I had just waited a bit and ran at 4:30 instead of watching the Patriots' debacle last night.

I'm trying to listen to my body, and so far it's not complaining much.  I'll probably find out too late that I can't hear that frequency properly, and wind up on the bench.

No doubt your legs are tired after skiing, I was amazed how tired mine were just from shoveling that last damned snowstorm.

Like you, I want to know what form I have to fill out and submit to get those hours of my life back...that loss sucked in so many ways that I was still processing it when I opened my eyes this morning.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

i hopped back in this group. I was here at the start of 2009 before I got injured.

None so far--building back up my base. Training for the Pig on May 1 and the Northcoast 24 in September. So if I somehow run 104 miles @ Northcoast, I get credit for 8?

So if I somehow run 104 miles @ Northcoast, I get credit for 8?

Nice

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

i hopped back in this group. I was here at the start of 2009 before I got injured.

Welcome back. I've added you to the summary page on the tracking sheet.

So if I somehow run 104 miles @ Northcoast, I get credit for 8?

Bad Dawg is the maker-of-the-rules, but its a loose small group so we can fairly much make it up as we go along. If a marathon counts as two then I see no reason why 104 miles does not count as multiples too ... but to claim 8 you'd need to step it up a bit 8 x 13.1 = 104.8. Without that extra 0.8 mile I'd say you've only earned 7 - we don't work in fractions Smile

Running - cheaper than therapy

Bad Dawg is the maker-of-the-rules, but its a loose small group so we can fairly much make it up as we go along. If a marathon counts as two then I see no reason why 104 miles does not count as multiples too ... but to claim 8 you'd need to step it up a bit 8 x 13.1 = 104.8. Without that extra 0.8 mile I'd say you've only earned 7 - we don't work in fractions Smile

Wow, 104 miles hurts just thinking about it, never mind running it.  What's another 0.8, would be a shame to let another 13.1 go by the boards for three trips around a track right?  And by the time you miss a tangent or two, it might be 104.8 at the finish anyway (if your Garmin lasts that long...)

Best of luck to you gearing up for that one murphy, whether it's 7 or 8 it will still be a record for our humble little group.  September will be here in the blink of an eye, can't wait to hear about that little jog.

E.J.

it probably would be less than that. Really I dont know what I can do. The goal is 100. Although if I take like a 2 hour break, I should make sure that I do it right after I complete a 13.1 increment? Still havent got my first 13.1 in. But Im really being conservative in my build up, since I basically didnt run from August-December. I should get 1 or 2 knocked out this week.

There is an ultra nearby in July that does 5k loops around a lake, choice of 12 or 24 hours.  I'm giving it some consideration, at most you're a mile and a half from the safety of your vehicle and escape.  Might be interesting to see how long I could stand going in circles.

E.J.

jeffdonahue

There is an ultra nearby in July that does 5k loops around a lake, choice of 12 or 24 hours.  I'm giving it some consideration, at most you're a mile and a half from the safety of your vehicle and escape.  Might be interesting to see how long I could stand going in circles.

Looking at maybe doing the 12 hour one there myself this year (as a 40th B-day present to myself I guess) but need to run it by the wife first.

Northcoast is a .92 mile loop. Its as much strategy as anything. I will probably take it ridiculously slow early--like 4 miles an hour slow to try to avoid the ineveitable crash as long as possible. I always run at night, and would love to be in running shape when it gets dark and others are starting to struggle.

C-R

Do it Dawg. I really enjoyed my first 50K and am looking at a 50M in May. We only had 3 loops but it sure helped with being able to get new gloves or hats to feel better on the next lap.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Ed, I am aslo looking at the 12hr but we could do mistake at the lake 4. Last yr was fun I enjoyed only running the relay and the 23miles in the 24hrs.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."