52 in 52

Scrapped one this morning (Read 213 times)

jeffdonahue

Well, I was out for my run this morning.  I was at about 10 miles and realizing that hey, it's less than a half hour more to get another one in.  And I was feeling pretty good.

But knowing I had a morning meeting that I had to prep for I stopped just over 10 miles.  And what happens - of course that morning meeting was cancelled.  Still, a good ten miler and I'm really looking forward to the next two days of running because it is supposed to warm up nicely here in Boston.

I leave for work by 6:30 am, so a.m. runs don't work very well for me. Its going to get up close to 50 today which is gong to be awesome after the cold we've been having.

Unfortunately I have a 14 miler planned for today and by the time I get home, changed and out the door it will be dark before the run would be over. Its still getting cold enough when the sun goes down to make the melted snow freeze, so running when its nearing dark is a bad idea.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

Yeah, I need to get outside more but driving home last night I hit a ton of ice patches that I didnt expect.  The warmer weather melts and it's probably fine mid-day but once the sun sets that melted snow all freezes up pretty quick making for some still pretty dangerous situations out there.

Yesterday's run started out rough, but was feeling pretty OK by the middle miles.  I was at the point where I would have to call it a run or extend it to 13.1 so I was thinking about the forecast.  "It's cold and really windy, and tomorrow is supposed to be really nice..." so nine miles was it.

Looks like the weather is going to follow the plan, now I'll just have to see if my legs do as well.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I don't have a "scrapped one this morning" tale to add, but I thought I'd offer another view on ice ...

Its been warm and humid here so I've tried to find ways to cope with the heat better. When I'm heading out for a HM run I've taken to stuffing my camelbak full of ice, and topping it up with whatever water fits in the gaps. It gives me about 1+1/2 hours and 1+1/2 litres of refreshing ice-water as the ice slowly melts.

In another six months when I'm in the middle of winter like you guys are now I guess I'll have a different opinion about the cold - but by then you'll all be suffering from heat and may like to try my ice-pack idea?

Running - cheaper than therapy

I'll come back to this thread in a while Ian, but at the moment the thought of ANY kind of ice is unpleasant at best.   Smile

It really does pay to keep an eye on the forecast, got one in last night because of cold temps and wind today.  Thankfully I got home before the unusual winter thunderstorm.  What's next, locusts?

Temps aren't too bad at the moment, but the wind is HOWLING (with gusts up to 45 MPH) and I'm glad it's a day off.

Pretty much more of the same tomorrow, tough day for the Half at the Hamptons.  I'll make the call on distance from the road tomorrow, depending on how much sandblasting I can take.  The groundhog said four more weeks, right?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

I'll come back to this thread in a while Ian, but at the moment the thought of ANY kind of ice is unpleasant at best.   Smile

It really does pay to keep an eye on the forecast, got one in last night because of cold temps and wind today.  Thankfully I got home before the unusual winter thunderstorm.  What's next, locusts?

Temps aren't too bad at the moment, but the wind is HOWLING (with gusts up to 45 MPH) and I'm glad it's a day off.

Pretty much more of the same tomorrow, tough day for the Half at the Hamptons.  I'll make the call on distance from the road tomorrow, depending on how much sandblasting I can take.  The groundhog said four more weeks, right?

I wish today had been a day off for me.  Today was supposed to be 9 miles, with 5x1 mile intervals at 5K pace.  I got through 2 of them, but the third was so far off 5K pace it was pathetic, running into a brutal headwind.  It just sapped all the energy out of me and I scrapped the last two intervals and made it a long run instead - clearing the 13.1 barrier.

And seriously, what was up with that thunderstorm last night.  We grilled on the deck last night and it was beautiful.  An hour later I look out and its like a freaking monsoon out there.  Just glad all the water on the street dried up and didnt freeze over night.  The temp was nice today but like Baddawg said, the wind just killed you when you got out there.

But hey, it was slow, but got another one on the books - and actually have another planned for tomorrow (my actual long run day) so we'll see if that happens.

C-R

I managed one yesterday on some damn sore legs. I will say I was thinking of this group when running it too. Turns out that Spaniel's advice to change my stride was spot on and it shoed some results at the 3 mile and 5 mile race on Saturday (after an MP run on Firday) but my quads haven't barked like that in I don't know how long. Made that 13.2 a challenge but also rewarding even if it was slow as crap.

Thanks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I managed one yesterday on some damn sore legs. I will say I was thinking of this group when running it too. Turns out that Spaniel's advice to change my stride was spot on and it shoed some results at the 3 mile and 5 mile race on Saturday (after an MP run on Firday) but my quads haven't barked like that in I don't know how long. Made that 13.2 a challenge but also rewarding even if it was slow as crap.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I musta missed Spaniel's advice.  Glad it seems to be working for you Norm.  And let me be the first to wish you a premature happy birthday, you're officially old on Wednesday so these things will only become more difficult.   Clown

E.J.

C-R

Hmmm, I musta missed Spaniel's advice.  Glad it seems to be working for you Norm.  And let me be the first to wish you a premature happy birthday, you're officially old on Wednesday so these things will only become more difficult.   Clown

Thanks BD. I may be a year older but certainly not any wiser. And the advice was something we discussed during our last run together. That's the one he uses for recovery and damn near kills me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That's the one he uses for recovery and damn near kills me.

I think I know exactly how you feel, after acting as the boat anchor on that hill run a while back.  They were "recovering" this weekend too, but I passed because I knew the crew and knew there was no way in hell I could hang with them.  It was pretty much a murderer's row of local running, with two that broke away.  Here's Jason's comment on the last six miles for those two on their ridculously hilly 18 miler:

After picking up their tax free beer at the border, Joe and Titus decided to re-enact their duels from Good Times 2010. That had to be the case because the nice tail-wind over the final 6 miles is definitely not enough to explain their sub-6 minute pace to finally pull away from us for good.

Glad the little dawg stayed on the porch for that one.

E.J.