52 in 52

52 in 52 for 2011 (Read 380 times)

Anyone else in for 2011? BadDawg's shown that it can be done - and perhaps I can too.

I crashed and burnt in 2009 for trying to hard to catch up (14 x HMs in 4 weeks) - but I did make it to 40.

Its taken a LONG time to recover and its been just over a year since that last HM, but I'm about to breeak the drought and make it #1 for 2010 this weekend. The rest of this year will be the warm up for another go at 52 in 52 for 2011.

Running - cheaper than therapy

Hi Ian, just popping in to log yesterday's run and saw your post.  Priority one has to be staying off the bench, be well my friend and best of luck to you in the (soon to be here) New Year!

I think C-R is going to join us and take a run at it in 2011, he's gearing up for an attempt at 2:59:59 at Boston.

p.s. , love the spreadsheet, thanks once again for creating it!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

C-R

I'm in. I'm sucking wind right now but I need this something fierce. Damn that sub 3 scares the hell out of me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Priority one has to be staying off the bench

I agree that's my #1 priority. It is IT for the rest of this year - and it will still be up there for 2011 too - but even with that I think I can still manage it if I don't do anything stupid. At the moment I'm just building a base - and a few HMs this year will help.

Damn that sub 3 scares the hell out of me.

I know what you mean. I had a go at it last year and it was scary. I got within 22 seconds of making it, and I'm almost certain to have another go at it next year - May or October. Good luck.

I got within 22 seconds of making it, and I'm almost certain to have another go at it next year - May or October. Good luck.

If you can stay on target for 52 in 52, I have no doubt you'll get it Ian.  I think it made a big difference in both running my recent marathon, and recovering from it.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Okay, I'm in.

I'm still on the fence about doing a 12hr Ultra in July so this will at least keep me with one longish run per week.  I havent done anything over 10 miles since my marathon last month and really need to get back into that.

Not sure I'll be doing it for 2010 (pro-rated of course, I'll never make 52 considering I only have 9 as of right now)  but I am definitely in for 2011.

Jeff

One of these days I'll probably do the Around The Lake Ultra, there's usually a good sized Shamrock contingent.  It would be nice to have that support while you're getting dizzy running in circles.

E.J.

Does it have to be a continuous 13.1, or a total of 13.1 for the day?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

It's EJs world but for me its all at once or nada.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jeffdonahue

One of these days I'll probably do the Around The Lake Ultra, there's usually a good sized Shamrock contingent.  It would be nice to have that support while you're getting dizzy running in circles.

Yeah, but its a pretty big circle at least.  Those guys (like DB for instance) that do 150 miles around a 1km loop - now that's just crazy.

Reminds me of the Deca-triathlon I heard of once, which is basically the equivalent of 10 Ironman races.

22 mile swim

1,120 mile bike

262 mile run

You have like 10 days to complete it or something like that, but the bike AND the run loop were all done on a 1 mile loop track.  I couldnt imagine doing 1,380 loops around the same track - you must learn every turn, tree and crack in the road by the time you are done.

jeffdonahue

And for me it'll probably be a lot of walking in there. 

Carl A

It's your log, but the consensus here is all at once. I suppose you could call some runs as 12-hour half marathons, if you're into stretching the boundaries.

This rule is kind of a pain for a working Joe like me, but at least it's worthy of shooting for. One reason I've stuck with this group, despite total and utter lack of success, is that it shows me exactly where I need to improve my training. I'm pretty much the stupidest ultrarunner I know.

So, I'm in for 2011 as well.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I'm in for 2011 and it will be all +13.1 or nothing for me. Looks like I got 5 for 2010 so far. I like the idea of this challenge pushing me to get that med-long to long run in on during the week.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Not sure I'll be doing it for 2010 (pro-rated of course, I'll never make 52 considering I only have 9 as of right now)  but I am definitely in for 2011. 

You just reminded me of the pro-rata option. That means you (and me too) can reach the goal this year - just wait until Dec 29th and stumble your way around a half marathon. That way it will be 1 out of 1 and you've met the pro-rata requirement for the yearSmile !