52 in 52

When do you make it a 13.1 mile run (Read 479 times)

jeffdonahue

Just wondering at what point people would just say "screw it, might as well make this 13.1  and get another one in."

Is it 11 miles?  10 miles? 

If you were out for a run and realized you were at a certain mileage, what would that mileage have to be for you to just suck it up and add a few miles to make it 13.1?

I ask because while I did 13.1 today, a friend wants to head for 10-11 tomorrow morning, and I am tempted to just try to make it 13 since I am only a few miles away.

There aren't too many 10 milers in my log, I usually say "what the hell" and make it 13.1 at that point.  I'm usually not far from home at that point, so if I have to break it off it's not a big deal.  Don't stress over it either way Jeff, there's nothing wrong with a 10, especially when you're ramping up.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Sat I had every intention to get my first 13.1 miler in for the year, but after nearly two hours out in the 3F degree and -10 windchill, I couldn't take it any more. 3 extra miles just seemed like torture when I person really needs to be wearing some wind briefs, brrrrrrrr. I'd say if it was above freezing, it would have been more tempting to get the extra 3.1 mile in.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I'd say if it was above freezing, it would have been more tempting to get the extra 3.1 mile in.

From the Minnesota Climatology Working Group:

THE OUTLOOK FOR DECEMBER...NORMAL HIGHS BEGIN IN THE MID TO UPPER
          20S ON THE 1ST AND DROP TO THE UPPER TEENS AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
          NORMAL LOWS RANGE FROM THE LOWER TEENS ON THE 1ST AND DROP TO 9
          DEGREES ON THE 31ST. NORMAL PRECIPITATION FOR DECEMBER IS 0.94
          INCHES. NORMAL SNOWFALL FOR DECEMBER IS 14.9 INCHES. NEAR NORMAL
          TEMPERATURES AND PRECIPITATION ARE EXPECTED IN DECEMBER.

God love ya BT, better you than I.  Brrrrrrrrr. 

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

It doesn't look like its getting any better either. Extended forecast::

Date...........Hi.....Low.........................................................................................Average

1/11/2011 18° 0.03 0 Cloudy with snow showers 19° -1°
            Wed
            1/12/2011
            14° -7° 0 0 Mainly cloudy and cold 19° -1°
            Thu
            1/13/2011
            13° 0.01 0.4 Mostly cloudy, a bit of snow 19° -1°
            Fri
            1/14/2011
            14° 0.11 1.8 Cloudy with snow possible 20° -1°
            Sat
            1/15/2011
            -2° 0 0 Mostly cloudy and breezy 20° -1°
            Sun
            1/16/2011
            -9° 0 0 Partly sunny and frigid 20° -1°
            Mon
            1/17/2011
            -2° -18° 0 0 Clouds limiting sun 20° -1°
            Tue
            1/18/2011
            -6° 0 0 Turning cloudy and frigid 20° -1°
            Wed
            1/19/2011
            0.06 0.8 Cold with sunshine 20° -1°
            Thu
            1/20/2011
            -7° 0.02 0.4 Cold with snow at times 20° -1°
            Fri
            1/21/2011
            -12° 0 0 Mostly cloudy and very cold 20° -1°
            Sat
            1/22/2011
            -12° 0 0 Mostly cloudy and very cold 20° -1°
            Sun
            1/23/2011
            -6° 0 0 Very cold with sun and clouds 20° -1°
            Mon
            1/24/2011
            0.03 0.3 Cold with periods of snow 21°
            Tue
            1/25/2011
            -9° 0.06 0.6 Cold with snow 21°

I'm going to welcome the end of March like no other and it can't come too soon

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

You may just need to buckle down and move to a warmer state.

C-R

They also make these strange contraptions called treeadmills or dreadmills. I hear you can place them indoors and you can run on them. Crazy stuff.

Of course I'm saying this as 5" of snow are falling today. I thought Glbal Warming was going to solve this for us. Running on the Noth Pole in singlets and all. Crap.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That will become a pretty serious thought after all my kids are off to college. One down, two to go.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

That will become a pretty serious thought after all my kids are off to college. One down, two to go.

I've got 5 years before my first one leaves for college - 11 years till my youngest leaves. 

I'll be shovelling forever (besides which my wife likes Vermont and may want to retire up there - though maybe we'll just get a nice condo where someone else shovels me out and then a shuttle comes to take me to the ski lift).

jeffdonahue

Apparently at 11.3 miles, I will add on another 2 miles to make it a 13.1 - at least that's what I did this morning.

My workout was 6x1000 intervals today, but since the roads completely suck out there I opted instead to do 6 x 4:30 at a 6:44 pace (8.9mph) with a minute and a half in between and a 3 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown.  When I was nearing the end I realized that I was at about 11.3 miles so I just kept the treadmill going till I reached 13.2.

My legs are shot now, and I have another 13 miler planned for tomorrow morning - will probably take it kind of easy on Sunday because we are going skiing though,.

That's a tough workout Jeff, especially on a treadmill.  Way to git 'er done.

E.J.

Apparently at 11.3 miles, I will add on another 2 miles to make it a 13.1 - at least that's what I did this morning.

My workout was 6x1000 intervals today, but since the roads completely suck out there I opted instead to do 6 x 4:30 at a 6:44 pace (8.9mph) with a minute and a half in between and a 3 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown.  When I was nearing the end I realized that I was at about 11.3 miles so I just kept the treadmill going till I reached 13.2.

My legs are shot now, and I have another 13 miler planned for tomorrow morning - will probably take it kind of easy on Sunday because we are going skiing though,.

Wow, nice job with that run. I'm going to have try to get a HM distance in Sat or Sun on the Dreadmill because the roads here in the Midwest are unfit to run on. I've never ran over 8.5 miles on that damn contraption yet and the thought of 2+ hours on it in a row doesn't seem to appealing.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

Ugh, another 13.1 miles on the treadmill yesterday.  Again, it was intervals that got me.  I had 12x2:00 with 3:00 rest intervals.  So that took an hour.  And with a 20 min warmup and 20 minute cooldown, I realzed I was probably less than 10 minutes from the 13.1 miles.  So as I jogged my cooldown I figured out how far I needed my cooldown to be to get it in and toughed it out.

I have a 14 miler planned for Saturday and wondering right now if I'm goign to have to dreadmill it again because we are supposed to get snow again tomorrow - though I think only a few inches so I'll probably do at least some of it outside.

On a different note - dropped my dad off at the airport today on his way to Hawaii for two weeks and I seriously considered dumping his golf clubs and hiding in the bag.

xhristopher

Ugh, another 13.1 miles on the treadmill yesterday.  Again, it was intervals that got me.  I had 12x2:00 with 3:00 rest intervals.  So that took an hour.  And with a 20 min warmup and 20 minute cooldown, I realzed I was probably less than 10 minutes from the 13.1 miles.  So as I jogged my cooldown I figured out how far I needed my cooldown to be to get it in and toughed it out.

I have a 14 miler planned for Saturday and wondering right now if I'm goign to have to dreadmill it again because we are supposed to get snow again tomorrow - though I think only a few inches so I'll probably do at least some of it outside.

On a different note - dropped my dad off at the airport today on his way to Hawaii for two weeks and I seriously considered dumping his golf clubs and hiding in the bag.

Way to get it done. I'm in the same boat as I've nearly resigned myself to the treadmill for now and am even starting to familiarize myself with running "hills" on it. There's a good argument to be made that running outside in the dark around here is dangerous since I'm constantly popping out on narrowed streets into traffic. We're going to Florida in a month and I was dreading the prospect of running countless 2 mile loops on the Disney property but now endless flat loops in a warm snow free Florida seems very appealing.

Oh, last night I went out for a 6-8 mile treadmill run and extended that into 13.1. Running the last 5K tempo wasn't in the plan but it felt right at the time and my legs aren't angry this morning.

So far so good. I jumped in here because I think getting longer mid week runs is going to help my marathon this spring and so far this has been helping me meet that goal.

I haven't been able to extend ANY of my freaking dreadmill workouts to 13.1 miles.

I felt I had a good shot at it on Saturday evening. I was feeling really good about that run when I saw a Highway Patrol car speeding down the highway, followed within minutes by an ambulance. Its winter and slippery out and at that time of the night I was expecting my 16 year old daughter to return from a movie with friends. The theater they were at was in the direction that the emergency vehicles were traveling.

I got the "sick to my stomach" feeling after the ambulance sped passed, so I HAD to stop my run, get in the car and see where they were headed. After seeing nothing for 10 miles (half way to the next town) I turned around and went home to find my daughter already home. I didn't feel much like returned for the final 5 miles after that.

MTA: expected low tomorrow morning of -20 without a windchill factor.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life