Atlanta and North Georgia Runners

Anyone doing holiday races? (Read 207 times)

camille2

I only spend winters here and haven't done any of the Christmas races.   I see a lot on the Run Georgia site for this weekend. Any plans for any of them?

I'm thinking about either (or both) a new one in Jasper that is supposedly flat and fast (but is new) or one in Kennesaw that is the late afternoon. 

Did any of you run any turkey trots?  I've done the Gobble Jog a few times, but tried the Five Star 5k Turkey Trot in Cumming this year.  They had some growing pains  (timing errors, etc) but it was still fun and a perfect morning to run.

rainmakerrc

Hi, camille.  Assuming the one in Kennesaw is on the same course as the races in that series (which I believe is the case), it will be a good race.  I ran a sub-20 on that course for the Dream Dash 5K back in June.  It's easy to run the first mile fast, as a good bit of it is a slight downhill grade, but there are some inclines you'll have to push a bit on in mile 2 in Swift-Cantrell Park and in the final mile from the park back towards the finish in downtown.  No Turkey Trot for me this year (I ran the Atlanta Half Marathon in 2011, but I was in marathon recovery mode this year and just had an easy run instead).

I thought about doing the Christmas 5K in VA-High on the 22nd, but still undecided on that. I'm running the Atlanta BeltLine Eastside 10K this Saturday, but that's not a holiday race. Thought about doing the half on Thanksgiving, but did not want to pay for late registration (was not for sure ahead of time that I was going to be back here) when I'm in mediocre shape anyway. So it looks like I will most likely not do an actual holiday race, but then again maybe I will...just not completely sure at this point... Confused

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Jenven

I was going to do sheMoves Reindeer Romp (Chastain park) this Saturday, but I decided that I didn't want to just sign up to "get one over with."

But! I am a teeny bit interested in the End of the World 5k in Marietta on the night of Dec. 21st.

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

heyitserika

I am all signed up for Sleighbells on the Square 5k on Dec 8 in Marietta, and then I am thinking about running the Resolution Run in Kennesaw on  New Years Day.  No Turkey Trots for me this year!

RunJasonRun

Resolution Run 10K in Marietta on New Years Day.  It's a tradition. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

camille2

Rainmaker, you are fast!

I'll have to ck out the End of the World race. Sound interesting.

Count me in for the Resolution Run, too. I did it last year. Nice race.

I'm going to Sevierville for the Santa Hustle Half on the 8th. The pictures look fun.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the Brasstown Bald Buster, too and it will be new. "Just one hill."  Expect to be walking it but it'll be good hill training..

During the past couple winters here, I turned into a big slacker and had to struggle to get fitness back come spring.  I'm trying to avoid that this year. by doing more races. 

Jenven

Great. Now I want to do the Resolution Run on January 1st to kickstart the year. But, I'm already registered for the Hot Chocolate 5k (clusterf*ck!) on January 13th. Maybe I'll do both.. guess we'll see how the next few weeks of training go.

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Gonna have to see if i am walking right after the Pine Mtn 40 this weekend.  If so, I need to find something.  Hmmmmm?

Upcoming races:  
                    Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                    Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                    Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                    Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                    Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                    H9 50 mile 8/9
                    Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                    Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                    Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                    Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

rainmakerrc

Thanks, camille!

I've been wanting to do the Resolution Run in Kennesaw, but I won't be back in town until later that day.

It's not a Christmas holidays race, but I'll probably run the MLK Day 5K on January 21st, since I have the day off.  I ran the inaugural edition last year, and it was a good race.  I saw that they have a new (and certified) course in and around Piedmont Park for this year's race (last year's course was in Buckhead).

camille2

Good luck, gray runner!  I hope you write a race report.

Gray Runner: Hope you have a great race at the Pine Mtn 40!

rainmaker: I might run the MLK day also.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Thanks guys.  This might be a "hold my beer, watch this" moment.  

Upcoming races:  
                            Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                            Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                            Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                            Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                            Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                            H9 50 mile 8/9
                            Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                            Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                            Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                            Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

phred_qz

Darkside in Peachtree City has a New Yrs Day marathon - free to club members!   and membership is cheaper than most race entries Smile

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

There is (well, there's supposed to be) a Karen Lawrence 4 mile run in Chattanooga TN on the evening of New Years' Eve, but I'm still waiting for information. It's an annual thing, I ran it last year and I want to run it this year. I know, it's not quite Georgia but it's just a couple of miles over the border.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54