A-Z Recipes

You CAN cook lettuce (Read 321 times)

A Saucy Wench

Last week in my second CSA box I got about 6 heads of lettuce.  Crazy.  And since I get boxes on tuesday and friday I was not keeping up with the lettuce.  I found a recipe for lettuce soup.  Yummy and best of all it uses way more lettuce than I could sneak into salads. I measured the lettuce after chopping and packed it medium firm

The original version:  Lettuce Soup

I was flying a bit freer...

I used 2T olive oil to saute and then finished with the 1T butter

I used 1c. sweet white corn instead of potato (because I had corn in the freezer and didnt have potatoes)

I used broth instead of water (because I rarely prefer water)

With all the changes I made a tad less salt would be good although this soup needs to be a bit salty I think.  I will also be adding a dash or two of cayenne.  Dont be tempted to add more water when you first put in the lettuce, it cooks down and releases its own water.

Because it is not cream based I think it would freeze ok, not my first choice for freezing but if the lettuce gets out of control I may freeze some. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I lived with a host family in France on year back in college.  Sometime midway through the year I bumped into a British grocery store and saw iceberg lettuce.  I thought it was so cool, I bought one and brought it to the family.  They had never seen such a thing, and thought it was a type of cabbage.  That night for dinner, they served it.  Cooked.  And mushy.

A Saucy Wench

I do hear cooking lettuce is more popular in France, although all my mom ever did was wilted lettuce with hot bacon dressing. (drooooooollll)

They recommend romaine and firmer outer leaves for the soup.  I used the thickest of the lettuce I had, although it was mostly soft leaf lettuce.  It wasnt mushy at all, of course I blended the bejeebers out of it and corn always stays a bit chunky/crunchy.

I changed my mind on the freezing though.  This is definitely a serve immediately soup I think.  dh liked it when I brought him a taste in the garage right after it was done, but he decided to do a few more things before he ate dinner and then it got a bit bitter.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7