A-Z Recipes

Date and Walnut Bread (Read 152 times)

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here at RA - just welcomed from CR with the great help of Eric. I thought I'd share my absolute favorite "runners-recipe", which I took from Runner's World magazine last year. It's an amazing pre-run snack and great nutritionally. It freezes very well also (I actually just made a quadruple batch to keep on hand!). I look forward to being a part of the RA community! Date and Walnut Bread 1 teaspoon walnut oil (I sometimes use almond oil) 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped/cubed 1/2 walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1/2 cup honey 3/4 cup hottest possible tap water 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour Preheat the oven to 375.** Coat a nonstick one-quart rectangular bread pan with walnut oil. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine dates, walnuts, baking soda, salt and honey. Add hot water and stir to blend. Add eggs and vanilla to the date mixture and blend thoroughly. Slowly add flour; blend well. The batter will be fairly thick. Pour batter into pan, evening out the top with a spatula. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool for at least an hour. Bread can be stored for up three days, tightly wrapped in plastic. Makes one loaf, 12 slices. ** Watch the temp/time. I find that, in my oven, I actually end up cooking it about 360 because the edges get a bit too well done otherwise (in particular when baking in the one-quart pan; it's a bit easier when baking mini loaves).
      Welcome emgoodman! I love to quadruple batches too. Thanks so much! It sounds great.