A-Z Recipes

Breads & Rolls (Read 981 times)

please post here! Smile
      PEANUTBUTTER ZUCCHINI BREAD It doesn't matter who eats this bread, they ALWAYS ask for the recipe!! Summer's prime time for this one, but if you're passing the produce aisle in the store, grab some zucchini & make this! It's worth it! 3 eggs 2 1/2 C sugar 1 C oil 3 C flour 2 C grated zucchini 1/2 C peanut butter (can use crunchy if you like) 1 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp baking powder 3 tsp vanilla 1 tsp cinnamon 1 C nuts if desired Preheat oven to 350. Mix eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla & zucchini w/ peanutbutter. Mix well. Add dry ingredients & mix. Add nuts (optional). Place in 3 small pans or 2 regular bread pans and bake for ~50 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
      RunningHammer

ENGLISH CRUMPETS Makes 8 300g Bread flour 2 ½ tsp Baking Powder 275ml tepid scalded Milk ¾ tsp salt 1tsp sugar 1tsp dried yeast 1tsp oil Mix dry ingredients together, then gradually beat in milk and water until batter is smooth. Beat for 5 minutes to work the flour. Cover mixing bowl with clingfilm (or damp cloth) and leave in warm (not hot) place for 1 ½ hours. Beat the mixture down. Cover with clingfilm again then leave in warm place for 1 hour. Warm a griddle or large frying pan. Rub the sides of some crumpet rings (metal rings open at the top and bottom and approx 3 inches across) and the griddle pan with oil. Pour mixture ½ way up the sides of crumpet rings in the frying pan/griddle Heat on a low heat for 15 minutes. Put under grill to set the tops. Push carefully out of the crumpet rings and put on a rack to cool down – don’t put in a bag or airtight container yet as they’ll go soft, there’s still plenty of moisture in them until they’ve cooled down properly. They should keep for a few days, toast and put plenty of butter on them just before eating!
          ENGLISH CRUMPETS Makes 8 300g Bread flour 2 ½ tsp Baking Powder 275ml tepid scalded Milk ¾ tsp salt 1tsp sugar 1tsp dried yeast 1tsp oil Mix dry ingredients together, then gradually beat in milk and water until batter is smooth. Beat for 5 minutes to work the flour. Cover mixing bowl with clingfilm (or damp cloth) and leave in warm (not hot) place for 1 ½ hours. Beat the mixture down. Cover with clingfilm again then leave in warm place for 1 hour. Warm a griddle or large frying pan. Rub the sides of some crumpet rings (metal rings open at the top and bottom and approx 3 inches across) and the griddle pan with oil. Pour mixture ½ way up the sides of crumpet rings in the frying pan/griddle Heat on a low heat for 15 minutes. Put under grill to set the tops.
          Mmmm! RunningHammer, I had to look up crumpet rings to see what exactly they were. For anyone who doesn't have them, like myself, thought I'd share something that I read: "You can buy crumpet rings in kitchenware shops but they are expensive - about $13 for a single aluminium ring. An alternative is to cut the ends out of 210 gram tins, such as those used for tuna or salmon, and smooth away the rough edges with a metal file. It's fiddly but they are a good size and work quite well." I also didn't know how to scald milk, so more info for those like me who need a little help!: To scald milk: Place milk in a heavy-bottomed pan on low heat. Stir occasionally until milk is just hot with steam and small bubbles appear around the edges; do not boil. Remove from the heat. Thanks for the recipe!!! I put these on my to try list!! Big grin
          RunningHammer

RunningHammer, I had to look up crumpet rings to see what exactly they were.
            Now this is going to sound odd, but when i bought mine I couldn't get them anywhere. Only place i could find them was ebay ... and bizarrely they came from the USA!!! Can't remember how much they were but i got two packs of 4, they were a lot cheaper than $13 each though. So i'd recommend looking on ebay.
            I also didn't know how to scald milk, so more info for those like me who need a little help!
            Not sure how important the scalding is - i've used this recipe a few times and they always come out perfect so i've had no reason to experiment. Having tried other recipes before that resulted in miserable failures...something tells me that scalding the milk may be important as it may change the texture of the crumpets somehow... Hope you enjoy them, this is what they should look like:
              ZUCCHINI PINEAPPLE BREAD Wow, wow, wow! Delicious and moist! Makes 2 loaves. 4 eggs 1 1/2 C. white sugar 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 C. veg oil 1 1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon 3/4 tsp grnd nutmeg 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained 2 C. grated zucchini 3 C. all purpose flour 1 tsp salt 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 1/2 tsp baking pwdr 1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 2. In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend in pineapple & zucchini. Stir flour mix into zucchini mix. Pour batter into 2 greased & floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. 3. Bake @ 350 for 1 hr. Cool on wire racks.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Bread Ingredients 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar 1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans 1/2 cup raisins 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg* 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger* 3 large eggs 1 3/4 cups Mashed Pumpkin 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup melted butter Preparation 1. Preheat oven to 350° (325° convection). 2. In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, nuts, raisins, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice, and ginger until well blended. 3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, Mashed Pumpkin, and oil until well blended. 4. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir just until well blended. Pour equally into two oiled 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans (with 2 2/3-cup capacity each). 5. Bake until bread pulls from pan sides and a wooden skewer inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let bread cool in pans on a rack for about 15 minutes. Cut around outside edges of bread and invert onto racks. Cool thoroughly. * or use a pumpkin pie spice mix; I mix my own and grind it fresh as needed
                  Pumpkin Bread Ingredients 1 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar 1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
                  Mmm...I can smell this right now! Thanks Trent!! Could you just sub granulated for Turbinado? How does Turbinado effect the bread? Or maybe sub all Turbinado for the granulated...?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fair trade turbinado should be used in all things in place of processed white sugar. But I digress. If you don't want / have the turbinado, replace it with more brown sugar. I need to try the recipe again using turbinado in place of all the sugar. Brown sugar is really just white sugar with a little molassas added back. Molassas is a by-product of sugar refining. Turbinado is a real brown sugar.
                      Fair trade turbinado should be used in all things in place of processed white sugar. But I digress.
                      Just started reading the The Omnivore's Dilemma! I'm reading "Corn sex" right now! Big grin
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just started reading the The Omnivore's Dilemma! I'm reading "Corn sex" right now! Big grin
                        Wink Have fun. Your whole outlook and eating practices are about to be changed forever...
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Bread
                          Tonight I doubled the recipe, baked it in a bundt pan like a cake and drizzled the still-warm cake with an apple syrup I had made (boiled apple cider, sugar and pectin, could just use honey instead of the syrup). O. M. G. Yes
                            Tonight I doubled the recipe, baked it in a bundt pan like a cake and drizzled the still-warm cake with an apple syrup I had made (boiled apple cider, sugar and pectin, could just use honey instead of the syrup). O. M. G. Yes
                            How is it that your mouth can water when you're just READING about food? Big grin
                            Jeffrey

I just found this User Group and noticed the recipe for crumpets. We. , Love. , Crumpets. Looking forward to trying to make our own this weekend! We live in Seattle and we have a great resource for fresh crumpets called The Crumpet Shop. Check the pics, they may make your mouth water. The interior of the shop is not all that great, there's isn't a ton of seating -- but who cares. The crumpets are sooo delicious! Honey and butter for me, DW takes vegemite or honey and butter. Smile
                                I just found this User Group and noticed the recipe for crumpets. We. , Love. , Crumpets. Looking forward to trying to make our own this weekend! We live in Seattle and we have a great resource for fresh crumpets called The Crumpet Shop. Check the pics, they may make your mouth water. The interior of the shop is not all that great, there's isn't a ton of seating -- but who cares. The crumpets are sooo delicious! Honey and butter for me, DW takes vegemite or honey and butter. Smile
                                Welcome Jeffrey! Do you ever get the maple butter with the crumpets? Looks so good!