A-Z Recipes

Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes (Read 364 times)

RunsForCake

Made these last night and got the two thumbs up from the family.  Nice change of pace from the usual baked, mashed or roasted sweet potato.

2 eggs, beaten

4 tablespoons flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1/2  teaspoon ground red pepper

1/2 teaspoon allspice

2-3 good sized sweet potatoes

3 green onions, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped

Zest of 1 lime, finely chopped

2 teaspoon brown sugar

Oil, for frying

1 Mix: Stir together egg, flour, baking powder, salt, red pepper and allspice in a large bowl. Set aside.

2 Shred: Grate potato on a box grater or use the food processer(easiest!). Scoop up shredded potatoes by the handful and squeeze dry. Stir into egg mixture. Mix in onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, lime and sugar.

3 Fry: Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of ¼ inch. Heat to 350 degrees. Drop in small mounds of potato mixture, a few at a time; nudge into small disks. Fry until browned, 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy warm with applesauce, syrup or chutney.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Strange time of year for latkes.

Did you top them with anything?

A Saucy Wench

Enjoy warm with applesauce, syrup or chutney.

Might not be the traditional time of year but I was thinking of trying SP latkes myself....Good timing! I'm not good at frying things though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is your barrier to frying?

RunsForCake

LOL!  Latkes know no season in my house.  I make them at least 2 times a month.  My family loves them.  This was the first time I made them with sweet potatoes and the first time I actually shredded them myself.  I usually cheat and just buy the bag of shredded potatoes in the refrigerator aisle at the store.  Blush

I had some leftover cranberry chutney from the holiday and applesauce that I served them with.

A Saucy Wench

What is your barrier to frying?

I have very little experience with frying and I tend not to get things at the right temp and my stuff usually falls apart  since I dont squeeze it dry enough or I squeeze it too dry. It is the one cooking skill I have never really mastered.  Honestly have probably only tried maybe 4 times in my entire life.  I could make the attempt to do it right and since I am overall a good cook, I am sure I could master it....but then I ask myself...do I really want to?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

RunsForCake

Ennay,  for pan frying, like what I do with the potato pancakes, I really like my electric skillet.  You can set it your desired temperature (350 degrees for the potato pancakes) add your food when the oil is at temp, brown on one side, flip over and brown the other.  Done!   It also has a non stick surface so nothing sticks to the pan and it is easy to clean.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, Ennay, so scientific.  I just pour oil into a cast iron pan, heat it up and fry.  What is this squeezing and stuff you are talking about?  If it falls apart, you need more binder, like egg or flour or some such thing.