A-Z Recipes

Squash: one last chance (Read 912 times)

Jazz hands!

I can't figure out what to do with squash--summer OR winter. I keep buying it because it's so pretty and cheap, and then I get it home and it's so BLAH. i've roasted it on the grill and put it in stir-fries, and it still just seems like lumps of weirdly textured health-gunk. Does anyone have something AMAZING I can do with squash, or should I just cut my losses and move on?
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      squash is AWESOME. You just have to get a little creative with it..... For Winter Squash, ( acorn or butternut). I cut, remove seed clump, drizzle with Olive Oil and plenty o' salt and pepper and roast flesh side down with whole garlic cloves ( still in the skins) at 425 for about 30 minutes or until soft. Take the garlic out at about 15 or so minutes. allow to cool, and take the skin off, and dice. What to do with it then? Warm salad with cannelini beans, fresh rosemary, and use the garlic to make a Killer roasted garlic vinaigrette. OR Roasted Butternut squash soup. Put squash in boiling chicken or veggie broth, and season with whatever herbs you have on hand, and puree in the blender till silky smooth. Add a little milk to make it creamy, and grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over it.... YUM. Summer Squash: Squash casserole: Plenty of GREAT recipes online for numerous variations of this tasty southern staple side dish. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Any winter squash - Make with mashed potatoes. Make into gnocchi Mash with garlic and olive oil, add parmesan Duh. Pumpkin pies, breads and cakes. You are probably overcooking when roasting and undercooking in other dishes.
          You may just be over-cooking it? If you cook it until it turns into a mushy mess, it kinda loses its appeal, for me anyway. I like to slice it up then steam it or grill it for a few minutes until it starts to turn a little bit "clear" but nowhere near falling apart. Then put a little olive oil, salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or whatever you like on it.

Life is Good

Squash Medley casserole: This is pretty good and kids will even eat it Tongue ingredients: 3 small zucchini, 1/4-inch slices 3 small yellow summer squash, 1/4-inch slices 3 small onions, 1/8-inch slices 3 very ripe, medium tomatoes, 1/8-inch slices 1/2 pound Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated 3 Tablespoons olive oil 3 Tablespoons herbs (basil, rosemary, and thyme) Coat the bottom and sides of a large Dutch oven or casserole with 1-1/2 Tablespoons olive oil; layer each zucchini, summer squash, tomato and onion in that order; top with 1 Tablespoon herbs, salt and pepper and 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil; then add 1/3 of the grated cheddar. Repeat with a second and third layer. Put cover on casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check onions and squash for doneness. Serve immediately!! This dish can be served as a vegetable or a main vegetarian course. It will easily serve eight.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

A Saucy Wench

Just so I dont lose these, time to get them here:  The torte would make a great brunch recipe or great with salmon.  The zucchini/almond (favorite side dish) would be improved with some butter and more almonds.  Then it was great!

also, more zucchini ideas: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/06/zucchini-strand-spaghetti/

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/08/my-favorite-side-dish/

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/herbed-summer-squash-and-potato-torte/

, I made a zucchini mock apple crumble.  YUM.  And my daughter is eating it firmly convinced it is apples.  heh heh.

The recipe I used was this one.  http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937,138186-236202,00.html

except I didnt use the bottom crust. 

My opinion is that if you were actually going to make a pie with it you would need to use much more because after cooking that would be a very small amount of filling I think MTA: eh...a little more would be good but not too much.  I tend to like big pies.  If you were going to do a 2 crust pie you would also need to add thickener.  I added some anyway before remembering that I was making a crumble and needed some free liquid to cook in to the top and it was only a tiny bit too dry, so for a pie with a crust something  for sure.

Also zucchini worked better than yellow squash in it, you have to seed the squash and the yellow squash tend to have a lot more seeds.  Bonus, when it was done with seeding and all I used 5-6 zucchini for a dessert that probably is about 8 servings vs. making zucchini bread where you use 1-2.  I served it warm with whipped cream. I kind of got the feeling that as it cooled it might get more zucchini tasting so I'll report back tomorrow.  MTA NO it got better as it sat. Best served cold

I will be making another for a gathering tomorrow night. This time as a 2 pie crust.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mmmm, I think I'm just going to have to try that fake "apple" pie recipe, thanks Ennay!

I really like cutting up butternut squash into sticks and making "fries."  Tastes like a sweet potato fry.  I cut them into fry-sized sticks, toss with a little olive oil and salt, and roast in the oven at 400° for ~40 minutes (flipping halfway).  Easy, yummy, WAY better for me than real fries.

2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri
                  squash is AWESOME. You just have to get a little creative with it..... For Winter Squash, ( acorn or butternut). I cut, remove seed clump, drizzle with Olive Oil and plenty o' salt and pepper and roast flesh side down with whole garlic cloves ( still in the skins) at 425 for about 30 minutes or until soft. Take the garlic out at about 15 or so minutes. allow to cool, and take the skin off, and dice. What to do with it then? Warm salad with cannelini beans, fresh rosemary, and use the garlic to make a Killer roasted garlic vinaigrette. OR Roasted Butternut squash soup. Put squash in boiling chicken or veggie broth, and season with whatever herbs you have on hand, and puree in the blender till silky smooth. Add a little milk to make it creamy, and grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over it.... YUM. Summer Squash: Squash casserole: Plenty of GREAT recipes online for numerous variations of this tasty southern staple side dish. Smile

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but where do you put the garlic?  In the pan beside the squash?  In the cavity?  Do you put any water in the pan while baking?

Ostrich runner

I got some poplar bark syrup that went well with a little brown sugar and butter on acorn squash.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but where do you put the garlic?  In the pan beside the squash?  In the cavity?  Do you put any water in the pan while baking?

Karla I was just about to ask the same thing!!!

Also, Sandy-when you put the squash in the broth for the soup...do you put it in raw...or was that another serving suggestion after roasting?

A giant squash came in my farm basket this week...and even though I haven't had any this season I got burned out on roasted squash last year...so I think I will try the soup.

A Saucy Wench

knifey, roast the squash first then put it in the soup. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

knifey, roast the squash first then put it in the soup. 

Ummm...gee, now I see she said "Roasted Butternut Squash Soup"

You think that would've clued me in!  Thanks! 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I cooked down today one 30lb cushaw and 3 different heirloom pumpkins weighing ~10lbs each.

Dang! I am so late to this party!!! my bad......

Yes, My Sous Chef Ennay is correct, you oven roast the squash along with the garlic left in the skins on a DRY sheet pan ( no water necessary ) then scoop it out of the skins, de-skin the garlic and commence the soup part......

I cooked down today one 30lb cushaw and 3 different heirloom pumpkins weighing ~10lbs each.

FREAK.

It's almost time for the Infamous Trent Pumpkin Pies isn't it?

My FIL's pumpkins did not fair so well this year, too wet in the garden with all the heavy rains we had late summer.... got a few 2-5lb pumpkins but many were rotted out in the field.....bummer.