A-Z Recipes

Favourite Supper You Make (Read 478 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm looking for some new ideas, esp from people who are dealing with feeding kids.

What is your favourite weeknight supper you make? What is your favourite weekend supper to make?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

A Saucy Wench

Depends I guess on what you mean by favorite.

Fast meals -

Shrimp "scampi" (son loves, dd wont try - this is typical for most meals)

Peeled cleaned frozen shrimp (I prefer Contessa tail on, I've had inconsistent quality with other brands)

~1/4 cup chopped sweet onion

~1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper

Clove garlic

white wine (optional)

Thaw shrimp according to package directions.  Saute veggies in ~ 50% butter, 50% olive oil...doesnt need much, until tender, add shrimp and saute until almost done, add splash or two of white wine and finish sauteeing.  Serve with cooked spaghetti and steamed broccoli.  Freezer to table in 20 minutes

Shrimp and corn saute

Another variety of the above in the summer is cook shrimp and move to plate, saute veggies with ~ 2 c fresh corn kernels and 1 pt cherry tomatoes.  Serve warm alone or over rotini, or cold tossed with rotini or salad. 

Salmon - from fresh or frozen - kids love, I keep frozen fillets on hand - my kids both love this.

Apple salmon ~ 15-20 minutes from frozen  depending on sides.

Place fillets in a large frying pan, sprinkle each fillet with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.  Place ~ 1 Tablespoon brown sugar on each fillet.  Place ~ 1/2 inch apple juice in the pan and poach the fish in the apple juice. 

Sour cream & dill salmon.  Works best from thawed. 

Preheat oven to 350 or make foil boats if you want to do it on the grill.  Spread a thin layer of sour cream on each fillet and some dried dillweed.   I like this with roasted dill potatoes and green beans.

I also keep cooked turkey meatballs in the freezer along with spaghetti sauce.  Spaghetti is a common emergency dinner.  I will even make extra pasta and freeze cooked spaghetti.  It is not as good as fresh, but if you thaw it by running under hot water it works especially with sauce.  I think of it as my own TV dinner.

I like these crockpot refried beans - takes all day but then we just have bean and cheese burritos or chicken and bean burritos.   Leftovers freeze well.  Hmmm...linky thing isnt working well. I'll fix it after the post is safe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

Frozen chicken breasts.  Cook them from frozen with some vinagrette poured over it. 

My favorite chicken dressing:

1/3 Cup Vinegar, white wine 
      1 Teaspoon Djion mustard
      1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
      1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
      1/3 Cup Olive Oil
      2 Each Shallots minced
      2 Tablespoon Tarragon, fresh

Place frozen chicken in large frying pan, pour dressing over, simmer until chicken is done, remove and keep warm.
      Add 1-2 lbs green beans (fresh or frozen) to the dressing in the pan, cook until desired tenderness.

The leftover cold beans are to die for on salad.

Weekends I like to roast a whole chicken with veggies in another pan.  I like to mix salt, pepper, whatever herbs you like  with olive oil and refrigerate for awhile.  The olive oil solidifies and you can spread it like soft butter on the chicken without it all running into the pan before it sticks,

Roasted veggies - welll pretty much any veggie will do with salt, pepper, EVOO and redonion in a pan anywhere from 350 - 450 F stir it every 10 minutes or so until its done enough for you.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

yummy anne!  I might try a couple of these - you rock!

A Saucy Wench

OH MY GOD

Two nights ago instead of apple salmon I made orange juice salmon.  My 3 year old ate a 7 oz fillet it was THAT good.

Frozen fillets, light salt and pepper, 1T brown sugar per fillet.  A little orange zest and ginger if you have some.  OJ about 1/2 inch deep in the pan (I use a pretty big pan so probably 1 - 1 1/2 c. oj?)   The oj thickened with the brown sugar and got a very buttery sunshiny taste.  So so so so so good.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

sluggo

John

Here is my current favorite and it is fairly easy to make.

My kids like it but they are 25+...

Couscous Stew with Tomatoes, Olives, and Saffron

The flavors of Persia mingle in this swift but excellent dish. Make sure you buy Israeli couscous, which has large granules, the size of peppercorns, and a wonderfully chewy texture. You can find it in whole food stores and Middle Eastern markets.

The recipe says that you should, "Serve this stew in shallow bowls with warm pita bread to sop up the flavorful broth," but I have never done this. I have found that this stew is very thick with little or no broth left to sop up.

Serves 4
            (My wife, two daughters, and I have had this in a meal with generous portions and had some left over.)

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped (I usually use 4 to 6 cloves.)

1.25 cups of uncooked Israeli couscous (LARGE pearl size)

0.5 teaspoon ground cumin (I usually use twice as much.)

1 large russet, Yukon Gold, or Yellow Finn potato, peeled and cut into 0.5" cubes (I just scrub and do not peel the potato and I use whatever potato we happen to have.)

12 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed), julienned (julienned means very thin slices, maybe 2" or 3" long)

1 small dried red chile pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to taste (I usually use about 0.5 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper flakes.)

0.5 teaspoon saffron threads (Saffron can be really expensive. We have found that the best place to get it is at Trader Joes. I suspect that this recipe would be OK without this ingredient. I also have no idea how to measure 0.5 teaspoon of this stuff because the threads all stick together in a loose bunch - so I just put in a thick pinch.)

Kosher salt to taste (I use whatever salt we have.)

2 plum tomatoes, cut into 0.5" cubes (I have been using 4 canned, whole, plum tomatoes with some of the extra broth that is in the can. In the summer, when I can get fresh tomatoes, I will try them.)

1 cup frozen, shelled (podless) edamame or peas, thawed (Edamame is another name for soy beans and I have been able to find them in all of our local grocery stores.)

0.25 cup pitted kalamata olives (I buy these in a jar. I can also find them in the salad bar section in our grocery stores. We like olives, so I use at least twice as many as called for here. If you get large olives, slice them in half.)

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I usually skip this, especially if I am using the crushed red pepper flakes.)

##################################################
            In a large, heavy sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.

Add the onion and garlic and saute' for 2 minutes.

Stir in the couscous, cumin, and 2.5 cups of water (I often use some of the canned tomato broth in place of some of the water.)

Add the potato, sun-dried tomatoes, chile or pepper flakes, saffron, and a pinch of salt (I add about 0.5 teaspoon of salt.)

Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato and couscous are tender, about 10 minutes. Add more liquid during the cooking if the mixture seems to be too dry. (It is always too dry.)

Finally, stir in the tomatoes, edamame or peas, and olives and heat through - 1 or 2 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper (I usually add nothing. There is a lot of flavor.)

Serve immediately.

##################################################
            Note: The stew can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can then reheat on the stove or in a microwave.

John
            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

OH MY GOD

Two nights ago instead of apple salmon I made orange juice salmon.  My 3 year old ate a 7 oz fillet it was THAT good.

Frozen fillets, light salt and pepper, 1T brown sugar per fillet.  A little orange zest and ginger if you have some.  OJ about 1/2 inch deep in the pan (I use a pretty big pan so probably 1 - 1 1/2 c. oj?)   The oj thickened with the brown sugar and got a very buttery sunshiny taste.  So so so so so good.

Ennay,

That sounds Wonderful~!

don't you love when the un-intended things turn out better than the original? Too Cool....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

OH MY GOD

Baked or sauteed?

A Saucy Wench

Baked or sauteed?

Oh..if you go up to the apple juice one its a poach/steam.  Put frozen (or thawed)  fillets in a large heavy flat bottomed pan.  sprinkle each fillet with salt, pepper, orange zest and shredded or minced garlic.  Place one tablespoon brown sugar on each fillet (roughly 6-8 oz fillet) - I usually leave it in a mound in the middle of the fillet.  Pour orange juice in the pan to about 1/2 ".  Dont cover the fish with juice completely...maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the fillet.  Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until the fish is cooked through.    Place salmon on plates and drizzle with the reduced orange juice mixture. 

- this was originally a mod of the apple juice one above (apple juice salt pepper onion and garlic powder and brown sugar) which was a mod of the original maple salmon (salt pepper, onion, garlic and poach in maple syrup)  I found the maple syrup one a bit too sweet (and expensive if you use real maple) which led to apple juice.

MTABig grinOH it was garlic, not ginger.  I had a little baggie of mixed orange zest and garlic left over from another recipe in the freezer and thought it was ginger.  The second time I made this the oj didnt thicken as well, I think it helps if some of the brown sugar is in the juice.  After I removed the salmon from the pan I boiled it until it was a thick glaze.