A-Z Recipes

Quorn? Trent? (Read 369 times)

Anyone here that is Vegetarian eat this stuff? I am increasing my plant based meals, especially after watching the documentary movie FOOD, INC. ( a MUST see film). so here are my random thoughts:

This stuff " appears" to be marketed as healthy. It's a fungi based protein that is supposed to mimic Chicken. ( I have no issues with eating an Organic Chicken breast). But I am really trying to move away from meat products all together, and it's a slow process, as Hub is a big meat eater. Is it really healthy though?

Seems like just another processed food. Yes?

How does it taste? As a Chef, if it tastes like paste or cardboard, I don't want it.....

Thoughts?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

As a non-vegetarian who has eaten quorn

It is definitely a processed food. There have been various opinions on just how healthy quorn is or is not.  But it is highly processed and nothing your grandma would recognize.

That being said, I like it.  I have not tried the cutlets - for some reason they scare me.  I have had the nuggets and the patties which are both imitating processed breaded and fried chicken products. In that sense they  are not really any more processed than the original, they taste at least as good as the original and from a strictly macronutrient point of view are "healthier"  I like them better than chicken based versions of the same and for me the patties are some emergency protein comfort food (I like to slice them over salad )

The cutlets scare me because I dont think nuggets taste like chicken and the quorn does such a good job tasting like nuggets that how could it possibly taste like chicken breasts? but I havent tried them.  I'm assuming that the cutlets are what you are interested in.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks Ennay, I knew you would post in and as always I appreciate your straight forward answers. The cutlet would be what I was leaning toward if I were to try them. I completely get what you are saying about them scaring you. I guess what I am getting at is that I am just so wondering if I can really feel full on eating more grains and beans, and I have terrible bloating issues with fiberous foods. I know that products like beano would help with this, but seriously, after I watched that movie, I am convinced that local, real, and organic is the way to go. I also have alot of hormonal balance issues, so I am really trying to stay away from Soy products. That, and that most soy products taste like shit IMHO.

I don't know that I will fully ever be able to take on going veggie entirely, but I certainly from a sustainability and health standpoint can see the real benefits of being one.

Thanks for your input!

A Saucy Wench

I'd say they are worth a try.  From what I have read some people have no problems with it and others have some digestive issues.  If you have problems with other fungi I would stay away.  (My dad was allergic to penecillin and mushrooms so even though quorn usually claims they are ok for that I would let him eat it)

If you do try the cutlets let me know what you think.  I have a friend who is veggie who I think has eaten them, I'll ask her.MTA: of course she hasnt had real chicken in 30 years, so she may not be an accurate gauge.

I also find them expensive for use as an everyday food.  They are more of a convenience food.  But I can get local real organic happy wandering chickens if I want to. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

From my veggie friend:  "

Love'em. I like the gruyere ones, but they're all good. Natalie (her 6 year old)  likes the regular garlic and herb ones best. Haven't tried the naked ones, though - I like breadcrumbs too much to bother!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Never had it.  I have seen it as just another processed food, but I have no personal experience.
                Never had it.  I have seen it as just another processed food, but I have no personal experience.

Thanks! Appreciate it anyway.

For me, I think I will opt out of them. If I want a Chicken taste so bad, may as well eat an organic real deal one!

Onward and upward in my journey to become more veggie like.....