A-Z Recipes

Meatless (Read 591 times)

Please post all meatless recipes here! Smile
      Beans and Rice: This is the world's easiest recipe, and it always comes out great. At least if you add enough cheese to it. Can be eaten in tortillos or by itself. (Make enough for left-overs and wrap them in tortillos and, voilla, a second, "different" dinner.) Big grin Ingredients: Rice Beans (I like cans, but you can pre-soak if desired. I also like black, but you can try others. Rinse canned beans before using). Optional: Cheese Rice Salsa Onion Scallion Jallapeno Peppers (canned are easy) Tortillas Sour Cream Instructions: 1. Cook rice. (Rice makers mean you can do this after work while on your run!) 2. Mix cooked rice and beans together in a casserole-type dish. 3. Mix in optional ingredients (except salsa, sourcream, or tortillas). Top with cheese. 4. Bake at 350 degF until the cheese is melted and\or it is hot throughout. About 10-15 mins. 5. If desired, serve in tortillas (easy burrittos!), top with sour cream and\or salsa.
        Please post all meatless recipes here! Smile
        Does that mean all the desserts need to be posted here too? Or is this limited to "main dishes"???
          Does that mean all the desserts need to be posted here too? Or is this limited to "main dishes"???
          Thanks for the recipe!! I guess what I meant was more main meals here and then use the dessert post i made for just desserts. I tried to make this logical! Sorry for any confusion! Big grin
            I think we need to have sub-threads of threads. I mean, I just cant figure out where to post this. It is meatless, but also a main-dish. But also a side, or grain. And some would eat it for dessert. But here goes. Tongue Apple Pancakes: 2 cups bisquick 1 egg 1 cup skim (or whatever % you have) milk 1 apple 1 tsp cinamon 1 tsp vanilla extract 1. Slice apples in slices, or grate, or use your food processor. 2. Mix everything together. 3. Cook like you would normal pancakes.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HALUSKA, a Polish pasta dish INGREDIENTS 1 medium head shredded cabbage 2 onions, cut into strips 1/2 cup butter 1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles salt to taste ground black pepper to taste DIRECTIONS Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. Meanwhile, heat butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute cabbage and onions until tender. Drain pasta, and return to the pot. Add cabbage and onion mixture to the noodles, and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. My gramma would sometimes boil potatoes instead of the noodles. Just as good.
                RICE-TACO SALAD 3 flour tortillas (8" diameter) 3/4 C uncooked long grain white (I use brown) rice 1 1/2 C water 1-2 tsp chili powder 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne) 1 can (8 oz) kidney beans, drained 5 C shredded lettuce 1 C chopped tomato (about 1 large, or in a pinch I used diced in a can) 1/2 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese 1/4 C chopped onion (about 1 small) 1/4 C 1,000 Island dressing (or what you like) 1/4 C low fat sour cream olives for garnish Heat oven to 400. Cut tortillas into 12 wedges or strips, about 3x 1/4". Place in ungreased jelly roll pan, 15 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 1". (I just use a cookie tray) Bake uncovered 6-8 minutes, stirring at least once, until golden brown & crisp; cool. Heat rice, water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder & red pepper to boiling in 1 1/2 qt saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Cover & simmer 14 minutes (don't lift cover or stir); remove from heat. Fluff rice lightly w/ fork. Cover & let steam for 5 minutes. Stir in kidney beans. Mix lettuce, tomato, cheese & onion in large bowl. Add dressing; toss. Divide lettuce mixture among 4 plates. Top each salad w/ about 1/2 C rice mixture. Arrange tortilla wedges around salad. Garnish w/ sour cream & olives. 4 servings (You can tweak the heck out of this recipe for your own tastes!)

The Meek One

Eggplant, couscous, feta burgers This recipe is not all that simple, but it freezes well and you can make a ton and have them available for quick meals whenever you need them 1 Large Eggplant 1 Cup Broccoli Chopped 1 onion Chopped 1 green pepper chopped 1 tomato chopped 4 cloves garlic chopped 2 cups prepared couscous 4 ounces feta chees crumbled 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning Poke holes in the flesh of the eggplant and bake on a cookie sheet 35 minutes at 400 degrees Over medium high heat sautee all of the vegetables add italian seasoning. (cook the vegetables until they are fairly dry) In a food processor blend half of the veggies and the eggplant. Finally mix together all of the ingredients (I found that putting them in a colander to drain for half an hour before making the burgers helps the burgers cook faster and more evenly) Shape into patties and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Variation: instead of Italian you can use Indian flavors or even Mexican spices

The Meek One

Asian Broccoli 1 large head of broccoli cut into large florets 3 Teaspoons Cornstarch 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or sugar) pinch of salt 1/2 cup veggie broth 2 Tablespoons soy sauce 2 cloves garlic 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil Wash your broccoli florets and set aside In a bowl combine cornstarch and salt then add syrup (or sugar), broth and soy sauce stir until smooth set aside. Heat oil in large pan, or wok sautee garlic until light brown add broccoli cook for two minutes stirring the entire time. Cook 2 more minutes covered Add broth mixture stirring constantly for 2 minutes ir until sauce thickens Serve over Rice or Couscous Yum!!
                      Moosewood Chili Bean Burgers (Veggie Burgers) Great veggie burger recipe with a chili and cumin kick in it. We make these all the time to get a vegetarian protein fix. Adapted from a great Moosewood Restaurant Recipe. These are really filling, so we've found that slightly thinner, smaller patties are usually better, and you can fit toppings on that way. We will also sometimes add a tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes in with the cumin and chili pepper to spice it up! We've also baked them in ball form for a spaghetti with meat(less) balls. 1 cup chopped onions 4 garlic cloves, minced 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/2 cup peeled and grated carrots 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin 3 cups cooked kidney beans or kidney beans (2 15-oz cans, drained) 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 2 tablespoons soy sauce 2 tablespoons ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste 1 1/2 cups rolled oats salt & fresh ground pepper 1. Saute onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. 2. Add carrots, chili powder and cumin. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside. 3. Mash the beans in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, or run through a food processor. 4. Add the mustard, soy sauce, ketchup or tomato paste and the sauteed vegetables. 5. Mix in the oats. 6. Add salt and pepper to taste. 7. Moisten your hands and form the burger mixture into six or so patties. 8. Oil a nonstick skillet and cook burgers on medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes on each side. Put them on a bun or a wrap and they are good to go with ketchup or whatever sauce you like and toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.)!