A-Z Recipes

I used a cake mix for the first time ever.... (Read 306 times)

A Saucy Wench

To make the best chocolate cake recipe EVER.  I dont usually like chocolate cake and this thing is awesome.  I have a good devil's food cake recipe I'll sub in next time, but I made it following the directions this time.  I also detest frostings and icings but this uses ganache and isnt over sweet, just rich and I had to stop myself from eating too much of the leftover frosting.

The world's best Chocolate raspberry cake. Ever. 

Cake:

1 18.25 oz pkg devil's food or dark chocolate fudge cake mix

1 3.9 oz pkg chocolate or chocolate fudge instant pudding mix

4 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/2 c. warm water

1/2 c. vegetable oil

1 1/2 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all the ingredients except the chocolate chips, mix on low speed for 1 min, scrape bowl, mix 2-3 minutes on medium speed until silky smooth.  Fold in chocolate chips, pour in to prepared pan or pans. (This works best as a 3-4 layer cake).  Bake 20-50 minutes depending on the size pan(s) you use.  There should be moist crumbles on the testing toothpick.

Let it cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes, remove from pan and allow to cool completely.

Frosting: (for 3-4 layer cake)

12 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped

1.5 cups heavy whipping cream.

Heat cream on stove until just barely simmering.  Add chocolate and stir, remove from heat and stir until smooth.  Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap touching the surface, refrigerate until firm enough to spread.  (This frosting hardens up, if you make it early and it gets too hard microwave for about 20 seconds and stir well before frosting)

Filling:

12 oz frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained

9 TBS seedless raspberry jam.

Mix well

When cake is cool layer the cake with the raspberry filling, then frost with the ganache. Garnish with fresh raspberries.

I had a bit of the filling leftover, but not too much.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

running yogi

sounds wonderful. i have to try it.

i bake a lot, from scratch and i have lots of wonderful recipes that i get exellent results from, but i have never been able to bake a good chocolate cake from scratch. i always have to fall back on a cake mix for that.