A-Z Recipes

Pumpkins (Read 804 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Bread Ingredients 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar 1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans 1/2 cup raisins 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg* 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger* 3 large eggs 1 3/4 cups Mashed Pumpkin 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup melted butter Preparation 1. Preheat oven to 350° (325° convection). 2. In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, nuts, raisins, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice, and ginger until well blended. 3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, Mashed Pumpkin, and oil until well blended. 4. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir just until well blended. Pour equally into two oiled 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans (with 2 2/3-cup capacity each). 5. Bake until bread pulls from pan sides and a wooden skewer inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let bread cool in pans on a rack for about 15 minutes. Cut around outside edges of bread and invert onto racks. Cool thoroughly. * or use a pumpkin pie spice mix; I mix my own and grind it fresh as needed
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Pie* Ingredients: 1 pumpkin, about 3 pounds 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk 3 eggs 4 tsp vanilla 5 ounces (by volume) white or raw sugar, or more to taste 6 ounces (by volume) brown sugar, or more to taste 4-7 tsp pumpkin pie spices, or more to taste** To Do: - Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and bake cut side up on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees for about an hour. Then cool and scoop out the soft pumpkin. - Drain pumpkin in a colander for about an hour. - Mix all the ingredients together, holding out one cup of pumpkin. Puree in a food processor. Then mix in the remaining pumpkin. - Place into a pie crust, homemade if possible. - Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 degrees until done. The Pie is done when it is cracking on top and the crust is approaching a mahogany brown color. - Cool thoroughly and enjoy. * or feel free to use butternut squash, or cushaw, or acorn squash, or really just about any winter melon that fits your fancy. ** I mix my own by grinding together orange peel, lots of cinnamon, some crystallized ginger, allspice and nutmeg, but you can also use the store-bought stuff.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gingerbread Cookies / Pumpkin Pie Crust -3 cups (420 grams) all purpose flour -1/4 teaspoons salt -3/4 teaspoon baking soda -2 teaspoons ground ginger -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon -1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg -1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature -1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar -1 large egg -2/3 cup (160 ml) unsulphured molasses In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cut out cookies onto the baking sheet, placing the cookies about 1 inch (2.54 cm) apart. If you are hanging the cookies or using as gift tags, make a hole at the top of the cookies with a straw or end of a wooden skewer. Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. Small ones will take about 8 minutes, larger cookies will take about 12 minutes. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minutes. When they are firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you are using for pie crust, roll out and line pie tins. Add filling. Wrap a ring of foil around and covering the crust. Bake according to pie recipe. Remove foil for last 10-15 minutes of baking.
          DAMN..... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Pumpkin Muffins

2 1/2C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

2tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Baking Soda

1/2 Tsp Salt

2 1/2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

1C Pumpkin Puree

2T Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil

2 Eggs

1TBSP Vanilla

2/3 Cup Buttermilk

3/4 Cup Succanat Or Brown Sugar or HONEY

1C Chopped Walnuts

1C dried Cranberries

Mix Dry Ingredients together and set aside. Combine the Pumpkin, Oil, Eggs, Vanilla, Sugar, buttermilk with a whisk. Fold Wet Ingredients into Dry Ingredients, and combine thoroughly. gently fold in cranberries and walnuts. Evenly distribute batter into a greased muffin pan, and Bake in a preheated 375 degree Oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, or unitl a toothpick comes out clean when tested. Makes 12 muffins.

" Cheffy's Tweaks and Notes"

I am always in search of a GREAT, Whole Grain Healthy muffin that is not so dense that I feel bloated after eating it. This one fits the bill. Because of the buttermilk, these come out absolutely light and fluffy. The addition of dried cranberries is a perfect touch.

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: I like this so much better than straight up WW flour, the texture is lighter and less dense.

Succanat: is a natural pure cane non processed sugar that is available at most all health food stores. It looks like brown sugar, and has a tea like fragrance. I have found that the ratio is about the same as using brown sugar, except the succanat tends to be less sweet, which I like. If you are using honey, your wet ingredients will take longer to blend to make sure that the honey gets loose enough to mix with everything. also make sure it is the best quality that you can afford, preferably one that is raw. The key is to keep them free of processed and refined sugars.

Buttermilk: I use the Pet Brand FAT FREE that you can find at Wal-Mart here in the south. Feel free to use low fat or regular, depending on how healthy you want to make these.

These are great all by themselves, or with a little butter on them. They are a great source of whole grain slow digesting carbs, great for running fuel. You also get a boost of protein from both the eggs and buttermilk, and walnuts are very healthy fats.

and they are TASTY!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Buttermilk: I either replace buttermilk in recipes with my home made yogurt OR use the liquid leftover from when I take my own cultured cream (= creme fraiche) and turn it into butter (i.e., the REAL butter milk).

Fixed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cheffy, do you ever use turbinado instead?

Great Points! Yes, I use FF Greek Yogurt alot in place of buttermilk. Sometimes I have to thin it a bit, but it works great. We made cornbread the other night with the buttermilk, so with the leftovers from that, I made my muffins.

Turbinado: YES. I have that as well, and use it from time to time. Because I write/edit and test numerous recipes for a living, I get these weird ingredients like Succanat sent to me, and often try to invent things to do with them. I am not a fan at all of " sicky Sweet" stuff, and strive to find the most natural stuff to put in my food, and I actually like this product alot....

Have not tried this recipe yet with the yogurt, but I would  bet that they would be equally as good, as the acidity level is very similar with the two products.  

I also make my own pumpkin Pie spices, very similar to your mixture Trent..... the pre-made versions are usually too clovey, and not enough cinnamon for my taste......

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ginger and the citrus peel are the best in the spice mix.
                      The ginger and the citrus peel are the best in the spice mix.

+1 on the Ginger...... One of my favorites in any spice blend. I have a recipe for Glorious Morning Muffins that I add citrus and ginger to, that is wonderful. I love how good they make the house smell!

On the up side of things, You would be proud of this Chef for at least making her own pumpkin Puree! lol...... processed a few sugar pumpkins for this..... nothing like the real thing!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's a sugar pumpkin?

Wink

Good job!!

I often find them labeled " Sugar Pumpkins" or " Pie Pumpkins" at the Farmers market's here..... I thought it was funny too...... Could be just a farmer's name for them. They are just the tiny guys that have really nice sweet flesh, probably where the name sugar pumpkins come from......

????

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I joke because all pumpkins that have that same orange color as jack o lantern and pie pumpkins have substantially less flavor, thinner flesh and more water in the flesh than the heirloom varieties. These days you can find the heirloom varieties just about anywhere. If not, use butternut squash. I only ever use the modern orange pumpkins when I have leftover jack o lanterns that I don't want to throw out.

My house is always full of these, and they last for up to 12 months.

And these, although not nearly as many:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is what is currently in my kitchen, entirely from my CSA over the past few weeks.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I have already cooked down some 40-50 lbs of winter squash and heirloom pumpkin that I purchased at a farm.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Muffins

My tweaks, in the oven right now

2 1/2 Cup White Lilly & AP Flour, mixed
                                2 tsp Baking Powder
                                1 tsp Baking Soda
                                1/2 tsp Salt
                                2 1/2 tsp my home made Pumpkin Pie Spice
                                1 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
                                2 T Vegetable Oil
                                2 Eggs