A-Z Recipes

Pasta, Rice & Legumes (Read 468 times)

Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess this could be categorized as a legume recipe. It's a higher protein, lower carb black soybean chili. Good eats! ~~~~~ Black Soybean Chili (Makes 8 qts./32 servings) 3½C dry black soybeans (soaked overnight) -- yields 8.5C cooked beans 3#s ground beef (I use ground sirloin) 4 28oz. cans diced tomatoes 1 can tomato juice 4 packs McCormick Tex-Mex seasoning (I use the hot) 1 large onion garlic and Tobasco sauce to taste After soaking overnight, boil black soybeans in 8oz. stockpot for 3-4 hours, or until desired tenderness. Drain well. While the beans are cooking, brown the ground beef, drain and add to pot with the drained beans. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Simmer for at least an hour on low heat. Serve topped with plenty of EXTRA sharp shredded cheddar cheese!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

NO BOIL CLASSIC LASAGNA EASY, EASY, EASY!!!!! 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese 2 eggs 2 (26 oz) jars pasta sauce, any flavor (I use Ragu garlic & onion) 1/2 (1 lb) pkg lasagna, uncooked 1 lb bulk Italian sausage, cooked & drained 2 C (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese chopped parsley Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese & eggs; mix well. In 13x9 inch baking dish, spread 1 C pasta sauce. Top with half each of the uncooked lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese mix, sausage, remaining pasta sauce & mozzarella. Repeat layering. Top w/ parsley. Cover tightly; bake 1 hour. Uncover, bake an additional 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
          Cross-reference the international thread for Israeli Goat Cheese and Sun-dreid Tomato Lasagna. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtoZRecipes/Forum/Post/3d117a20ae964a26a980fee8506c8c79#focus Big grin (I think we need a new avatar for yum or I'm hungry or something!)
            NO BOIL CLASSIC LASAGNA Refrigerate leftovers.
            I make a similar lasagna. Except I leave out the sausage (poor cows!) and often add spinach and black olives. I usually make two and freeze one for later - I recommend not fully cooking it if you are going to freeze, but if you cook it fully, then you can just reheat pieces in the microwave which never tastes as good as baking the whole thing but is faster.
              I make a similar lasagna. Except I leave out the sausage (poor cows!)
              Don't worry - italian sausage mostly comes from pigs Smile Prawn risotto 1 tbsp olive oil 1 onion 1 zucchini 1 clove garlic 200g risotto rice (carnaroli or arborio) 16 large raw shelled prawns, fresh or frozen 400ml chicken or vegetable stock 25g butter splash of lime or lemon juice 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander chop the onion, garlic and zucchini and fry very gently in the olive oil for approx 10 mins until the onion is translucent but not brown. turn the heat up and add the rice. stir for 2mins - the rice should start to make a sort of popping sound. add about 1/4 of the stock, turn down the heat and allow to bubble, stirring every few minutes. as the rice absorbs the stock add more. after 20 mins or so the rice should be pretty much cooked but still have a bit of bite. add the prawns, stir and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink. add the butter and stir until melted, finally add the lime or lemon juice and chopped coriander, one final stir and serve.
                Prawn risotto
                This sounds tasty! I had to look up what a prawn was though! I'd have to call mine "Shrimp risotto"! When you're done, do you eat the rice soft, or still a bit underdone?
                  Oh dear I hadn’t considered possible language difficulties Big grin I do prefer mine with the rice still slightly undercooked but am generally happy either way as its not all that easy to get right.
                  RunningReporter

Here’s my family’s recipe for broccoli spaghetti. I’ve changed it a little since the olden days. Ingredients (Serves Four) 1 head of broccoli 3 cloves of garlic 8 ounces of whole wheat pasta (I like using rigatoni, but grandma likes spaghetti) 1/3 to 1/2 cup of olive oil. Parmesan cheese Directions 1). Bring 2 pots of water to a boil 2). While waiting to boil mince garlic and cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. 3). When water is boiling place pasta in one pot and broccoli in other. Broccoli should take 10-12 mins. or until soft. 4). Heat olive oil and garlic together until oil is hot and you can smell the garlic. I like to start out with 1/3 cup of oil and may add more if there’s a lot of pasta 5). Mix drained pasta, broccoli and olive oil mixture in large bowl. 6). Season with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
                      Just made this lastnight & have altered the recipe for what worked out better & what we didn't like about the original. Certainly not low fat, carb, calorie, anything...but tasty! Smile Chicken Lasagna 1 c butter, divided 3 cloves garlic, crushed ½ c flour 1 t salt 2 c whole milk, half & half or heavy cream 2 c chicken broth 2¼ c mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided 1¼ c parmesan cheese, grated, divided 1 small onion, chopped 1 t basil ½ t oregano ½ t fresh ground black pepper 2 c sliced mushrooms 1 c sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced 8 oz lasagna noodles, cooked (approx 9-12 noodles) 1 c ricotta cheese 3½ c chicken, cooked, cut up 1 (10oz) pkg chopped spinach, thawed & well drained Heat ½ c butter in a saucepan over med heat until melted. Stir in flour & salt; cook, stirring constantly until bubbly. Reduce heat & stir in milk & broth, small amounts at a time. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in mozzarella, parmesan (retaining ¾ c of each cheese), basil, oregano & pepper. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until cheese is melted & mixture is thickened. Remove from heat & set aside. Melt remaining ½ c butter in a sauté pan. Sauté onion & garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms & cook until tender. Add tomatoes & continue cooking 2-3 minutes more. In an ungreased 13x9” baking dish, layer ingredients in the following order: Sauce Noodles Ricotta Sauce Chicken Spinach Mushroom/tomato mix Cheese Repeat this 2 more times, finishing with a layer of the cheeses. Cook uncovered at 350° 20-30 minutes until bubbly & cheese is golden. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting. Makes 12 servings
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        Just made this lastnight & have altered the recipe for what worked out better & what we didn't like about the original. Certainly not low fat, carb, calorie, anything...but tasty! Smile Chicken Lasagna 1 c butter, divided 3 cloves garlic, crushed ½ c flour 1 t salt 2 c whole milk, half & half or heavy cream 2 c chicken broth 2¼ c mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided 1¼ c parmesan cheese, grated, divided 1 small onion, chopped 1 t basil ½ t oregano ½ t fresh ground black pepper 2 c sliced mushrooms 1 c sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced 8 oz lasagna noodles, cooked (approx 9-12 noodles) 1 c ricotta cheese 3½ c chicken, cooked, cut up 1 (10oz) pkg chopped spinach, thawed & well drained Heat ½ c butter in a saucepan over med heat until melted. Stir in flour & salt; cook, stirring constantly until bubbly. Reduce heat & stir in milk & broth, small amounts at a time. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in mozzarella, parmesan (retaining ¾ c of each cheese), basil, oregano & pepper. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until cheese is melted & mixture is thickened. Remove from heat & set aside. Melt remaining ½ c butter in a sauté pan. Sauté onion & garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms & cook until tender. Add tomatoes & continue cooking 2-3 minutes more. In an ungreased 13x9” baking dish, layer ingredients in the following order: Sauce Noodles Ricotta Sauce Chicken Spinach Mushroom/tomato mix Cheese Repeat this 2 more times, finishing with a layer of the cheeses. Cook uncovered at 350° 20-30 minutes until bubbly & cheese is golden. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting. Makes 12 servings
                        This sounds DELICIOUS~ will definitely try this one! Thanks for sharing! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"